Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New baby constant chatter

chromis

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately we lost Bear great mate of Jarmy (two males) It didn’t take long for Jarmy to go off his food and become inactive so we decided it was best to get him other friend ASAP. We got a baby male pig...

After the whole processes of quarantine and introductions they are bonding so well...No fights...bit of boy lust but that seems to be over and done with. Lots of domination but no biting...Lots of licking his face though...

Question I have is:

The baby is constantly chattering...I dont remember the "boys" being so chatty when they were young...

Ginko (new boy) is constantly making "blip blip" noises. Slowly then he speeds up (...It doesn’t matter if Jarmy is near him or not he still does it. If Ginko can’t find Jarmy he get's a little more frenetic with the blips. When he eats he blips, when you pat him he blips, all day long he blips...all night long...well at 2am in the morning when my partner woke up to the two of them...

Jarmy blips back at him but not constantly...It's not the get me food whik sound..or a rumble..

What's going on??

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
He is probably just excited, happy, confused, and nervous with all the new surroundings. A new home, new people, new guinea friend, its alot to take in, ecspecially for a young piggy. Whenever I clean out the cage, or rearrange things in the cage, ALL of my pigs do that. It's the same old hidey houses, and same old toys and tubes, but just sitting them in a new spot fascinates the heck out of them. They all get really active checking things out and make a constant "whipple whipple whipple" sound for hours.

When I adopted my two baby girls they went nuts making noise at all hours for a couple of weeks before they settled in...they had just been removed from their mom though and were quite upset about it. They whippled and blipped, and squeaked, and outright squealed constantly.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Some guinea pigs are much more vocal then others, one of my guinea pigs makes that chuckling sound when she walks all the time, it's just a way to show they are content or to let the others know where they are.

When my pigs are all happy and I just changed the cage or rearranged thing they get in the chuckling and wheaky mood as well and to me it sounds like your new baby is just very happy and content and excited. Especially young pigs make a lot of sounds, my leia is quite young we had her since she was a month old and she makes sounds all the time and is very energetic.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I have one chatterbox, and it's terribly cute to listen to her when she trots (faster than the waddle, but slower than the run). What your pig is doing is pretty normal, especially considering that he is a new pig, and with an older pig, he's probably just chatting away to his new friend.

Or, if he is making a "blip blip" sound, he could be imitating a heart rate monitor.

GuineaFood

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Ginko (new boy) is constantly making "blip blip" noises. Slowly then he speeds up (...It doesn’t matter if Jarmy is near him or not he still does it. If Ginko can’t find Jarmy he get's a little more frenetic with the blips. When he eats he blips, when you pat him he blips, all day long he blips...all night long...well at 2am in the morning when my partner woke up to the two of them...

Jarmy blips back at him but not constantly...It's not the get me food whik sound..or a rumble..

What's going on??

We have six guineas, and they all display different vocal traits. Our paired males use the full range, both in their hutches and during floor time, but our Himalayan sisters will only wheek for food, or pur after being stroked for a long time, they hardly ever 'wibble' at all. Our single female also uses the full range, but also has a different sound the males do not: She will click/pop like a geiger counter when being held and when investigating during floor time (she is the most sociable of our guineas, but strangely, does not get on with the other guineas, so she is kept seperate) Our other 'single' guinea is a 4 month old male Rex. He tends to chatter and wibble constantly while being held (which in the single female, would indicate irritation), but, he makes no attempt to escape, struggle or bite, he then lounges completely stretched, (still wibbling) and goes to sleep! :D It could be that Ginko is simply similarly chatty :)

chromis

Cavy Slave
He has settled down just a little with the chatter…a bit…I think your all correct…perhaps excited, exploring and everything is new. And maybe naturally chatty.

The older male has bonded really well and is teaching him the ropes. After lap and floor time at night we have a routine. To get them to bed without chasing them around I put a igloo house (actually a cat sleep thingy) on the floor and Jarmy knows he is to hop in so I can take him off to bed. Jarmy will hop in but the little fella doesn’t know the routine so Jarmy will get out find him and show him the way back to the Igloo. Very Cute!

Ginko (the boy) has taken to coming up to me when I’m sitting on the lounge and wheeking as loud as he can at me. I think he has learnt that wheeking opens the fridge and the possibility of a treat and he is practicing his power…

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
Your new piggie sounds like when I got Timothy. He is now 4 years old and doesn't "talk" as much. He just wheeks for veggies. But when he was a baby, oh my, he would not be quiet. It was constant chatter, grumblings, murmers, etc. It was pretty funny actually because the other pigs sometimes lost their temper with him and they would chase him for a bit. He was one mouthy pig!

He actually does get going still when he is in the yard eating grass.

I also had another guinea pig, Maggie, who constantly chattered. She was the most friendly guinea pig I have ever had. She would stretch way up her cage side to get her head scratched by me. And if I held her she would not stop talking.

I think you just have yourself a chatty, excited little guy. :)
Lynn

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
We have two that chut-chut, chuckle-chuckle, blip-blip all the time.

Our baby even chut-chutted constantly when she was in her mommy's womb! For about two weeks before she was born we would listen to the funny little sounds coming from Ruby's tummy. It was loud enough to hear across the room! She hasn't stopped talking since, she has a lot to say!

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
Two of my girls make noises that sound like someone's using a squeegee on a wet window. I never have figured out if those are happy noises or not. Cloudy makes a noise that sounds like she's saying "pip" at floortime and when she's popcorns. Roxie's quite a wheeker, and Gracie's pretty quiet still. We had one who never made noise. Even when you rattled bags the most she did was stand up at the side of the cage and wait quietly for the veggies to come.

wolfie

Cavy Slave
Alex is our little chatterbox. My favorite noise he makes is the "chirble". He chirbles constantly, sometimes it's a happy chirble and sometimes it's an "I'm annoyed with you" chirble. Arnold is much more quiet even when wheeking for veggies. This morning while prepping their veggies, (after being prompted by "wheeks"), they both actually "chirped".

Mags&Abby'sMom

Cavy Slave
We have two young girl piggies, four months, and they chit chat all the time. They make little chrips and squeaks all day. They do it when they eat, when they play, when they walk around. They get really loud when we talk to them, bring them treats, and especially in the morning when they get hay. When we first brought them home from the rescue they made a lot of noise at night, but they have gotten really used to our routine and they know that when they lights go out it is queit sleeping time. They have even gotten used to the sound of the fridge door opening and week loudy for veggies when they hear it. It sounds like he just needs a little time to get used to his new enviroment and your schedule.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
It's amazing how quickly they learn to associate the fridge door opening with food. Mine have never been in the kitchen, nor can they see the fridge from their cage, but they know. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.