Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Regarding ramps/stairs

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
Sorry in advance mods if this is in the wrong place.

I got this from the photo gallery, I can't remember who's pic it was but here it is:

13stepsfin.jpg

My question is this....if we did build a staircase out of wood using the 'flights' (one set, landing, and then second step like in the pic) or even if we just used one set without the landing, wouldn't it need to be covered with fleece or something in case the piggies pooped or peed on it on the way up or down? What would be something good to cover it with that could be taken off and on easily? I thought of something like moleskin (like at the medical supply places) or lambskin because of the adhesive backing fitting the steps nicely but then it dawned on me, duh, you'd have to be able to remove it to clean it every so often. Anybody have steps or something like this and if so what did you use to cover it and how did you affix it to the surface of whatever you used for the ramp/stairs? :confused:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What I would do if I were to make something like that is to get some peel-n-stick vinyl tiles that you could cut down easily then affix the tiles to the wood on all sides. Then I'd use something like maybe bathtub traction stickers (can't think of what they are actually called right now) and put some of those on each step for traction.

Then it would be easily cleanable. Just make sure that the tiles were fully covering the wood and no wood exposed. I'd make it about 8" wide and maybe even put some type of thin railing on it as many pigs don't feel comfortable going up stairs or a ramp without some sort of side on it.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Another idea is shelf liner. You could stick it on, and use a pair of scissors or a razor blade to slice off all the extra.
Ive seen rolls of shelf liner at walmart, freds, and dollar general for 1.00.
You can get the kind you line cabinets with to protect the wood from moisture, and then get the kind you put in drawers to keep things from sliding around to use for traction. Thats what I used on the ramps I built for the pigs I adopted out.

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
We ended up doing a ramp made of reinforced coro, with two side edges and a piece of denim blue jean material to line it with. The liner was the kicker. At first the girls were really timid with it but then I read someone else's post that they needed something that they could *grip* with their claws, and had the blue jean idea since we still have not been able to find fleece in town :)mad: ), and boy once we put that on there it was zoom zoom city, the girls now run up and down the ramp like it's nothing! It's extremely funny to watch :D . We have more blue jean material so hubby just changes one piece out for the other when he does the rest of the cage. Easy pleasy lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.