Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from NYC

francisco_ny

Cavy Slave
My wife and I got a Guinea Pig about 4 weeks ago. It was, as it often is with my wife, an impulsive buy. We bought her at a local NYC Petco.

After about 3 weeks she started to look "fat".. at first we thought we may be overfeeding her, but it became clearer by the day that she was pregnant.

Although we usually like to read about whatever pet we own (our other pet is a Sheltie.. shetland sheep dog).. once we discovered our Guinea Pig was pregnant I started to read as much as I could. Found a number of good links.

Tomorrow I think I will take Mecha, that's her name, to a vet. When we came home after shopping the house smelled like nail polish and this was a warning in one of the web sites.. that if this happened one needed to take the Cavy to a vet. Luckily found a vet that opens on sundays and that specialiases in Avian and exotics.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's an emergency, don't wait for an appointment problem. Time is of the essense. I personally wouldn't even wait until tomorrow if you can find anyone open 24 hours. Seriously. It's life or death when a pregnant sow goes toxic.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would try to find a 24-hour clinic. Your pig may not live through the night. If she's started labor, she may need oxytocin or a C-section. I so rarely advise anyone to go to a vet immediately. I think this may be the first time I've felt compelled to do so.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I agree. Time is of the essence right now. Do you know of any emergency 24 hour clinics near by? She needs to be seen ASAP.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Please update us on how little Mecha is doing. I hope you were able to get her to a vet.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hoping for a good news update?

Tulip

Cavy Slave
Hello & welcome to the forum! Please let us know how little Mecha is doing!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Should we email them?

My 3 Sons

Cavy Slave
Best of wishes for your little darling, Mecha.

francisco_ny

Cavy Slave
Sorry for not replying sooner.
I had not idea that this was so bad and that she was in such high risk.

Sunday called a vet and they had no appointments.
Mecha and the babies however seem to be doing fine.
I still plan to keep searching for vets so I have a list.

Also plan to continue reading. Weekends is when I can do most of my Cavy reading, but may take the book we bought with me and print some info from the web.

The first two days (sat and sun) she didn't seem to be helping the babies, but I had read that this could happen. Today, monday, she seems to be taking better care of them.

I was amazed when I saw one of the babies trying to drink water from the bottle. I figure it would take them some time to learn. Perhaps the baby saw the mom.

I put a low container with water just in case and change the water often since they end up throwing bedding in it.

If a vet says they have no appointments, but one says it is an emergency, do they usually make room?

This has been some experience.
We got Mecha and were very happy.. I particularly love to read and find all I can about whatever pet we have. But when we found she was pregnant, joy turned more into panic. My wife even cried as we were reading the risks she would face and how in ocassions it could all go wrong.

She bled a little the first day and had that Acetone like smell. Second day she bled another little bit, but not much. Today she seems more lively, more cooperative with the babies and with one big appetite.

Have been putting lots of alfalfa for them since it seems the babies dont care much for the regular food.

We have not named them yet, but we plan to keep at least one.
Still a little undecided about the other two. From what I read it seems it would be better to give them as a pair, but that means whoever gets them will need more room. I really want to find a good home for them so not sure if we can give them to our top 2 candidates (relatives of my wife) since they may not have the room.. or the means to buy a decent cage.

Will keep all posted and will have pictures soon.
If it was up to my wife she would take tons of pictures.. but I like to leave them alone for a few days.. before we bother them with pictures.

They are adorable!!!

My wife took a look and we believe we have 2 girls and 1 boy. The boy is the one I would like to keep,but have to figure out what we would need to do (ie prepare Mecha to not have more babies). This may also make it easier to give the other two as a pair as it would be 2 girls.

We will very likely seek a vet to tell us the sex for sure so there are no more accidental babies. We can read and see all the pictures in the web.. but we are total Cavy newbies.. so a knowledge vet out best option to make sure of their sex.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
From your first post, I thought your pig was still pregnant. So did she go to the vet? I'd just make sure the vet is sure there are no more fetuses--by palpating or perhaps x-ray if they haven't already.

If you have an emergency and the vet sees guinea pigs and they are open and you can pay...they'll usually fit you in. :)

francisco_ny

Cavy Slave
From your first post, I thought your pig was still pregnant.

She doesn't seem to be anymore.

So did she go to the vet? I'd just make sure the vet is sure there are no more fetuses--by palpating or perhaps x-ray if they haven't already.

Because there was no spot Sunday and by Sunday night she look much better we did not take her.

If you have an emergency and the vet sees guinea pigs and they are open and you can pay...they'll usually fit you in. :)

Good to know.

At what age can someone knowledgeable tell the sex of the babies?

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
If she had an acetone smell at any time, it might be a good idea to have her checked out anyway. I believe someone knowledgable could tell the sex quite early. Once they are sexed properly, remember to seperate any males from mom and sisters at 3 weeks of age so there are no more suprise babies. Congrats on the new bundles, tell mom she did great!

francisco_ny

Cavy Slave
Taking Mecha to a vet tomorrow morning.
Would a ride in the subway be too noisy for her?

Should I bring the babies too?
In particular I wanted the vet to tell me the sex of the babies.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I think the subway would be a little too stressful. Are you able to take animals in cabs?

francisco_ny

Cavy Slave
I think the subway would be a little too stressful. Are you able to take animals in cabs?

I have a dog carrier from when our dog was a baby.
Now... I just have to figure if i can afford to take the cab.... It's likely going to be a good $35+ each way.. plus the visit (82 minimun)..

How about taking the babies? Should I take them too?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I would take them too. That way you'll know their sexes for sure.

francisco_ny

Cavy Slave
Update (and starting to close this thread)..

Took all Cavies to the vet. They got a clean bill of health. Mecha got a blood test and a vitamin C injection.
Will post pictures soon.

Weekends are my "Cavy time" and last two weeknds were a bit crazy (one busy and the second sick).

I am now trying to find what fruits and veggies to feed them.
I am using a PDF I got from the forums.. to determine what to try.
So far carrots and parsley have been a big hit while bananas, apple, orange and Kiwi.. were a total flop (they didn't even look at them).

Will keep going down the list and trying.. to see which items they like. Specially the ones in the list recommended to give to them often.. and high in vitamin C.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you are off to a good start withe the veggies. Maybe I can add a little hint - the list isn't really meant to be fed from top to bottom. Each pig should get a cup of veggies everyday, and most of those should be green leafy veggies. The ones they like so far (carrots and parsley) should be limited, as you probably already know. But stuff like lettuce and cilantro is great everyday. For example, this week my pigs are getting romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, cilantro, and bell peppers every day. Then last night they also got some tomato, some broccoli leaves, and a baby carrot each in addition to the everyday veggies. GuineaLynx has a calculator that can help you figure out the Ca:p ratio and vitamin C content of your pigs diets.

francisco_ny

Cavy Slave
GuineaLynx has a calculator that can help you figure out the Ca:p ratio and vitamin C content of your pigs diets.

Thanks. Will check it.
The PDF I got from this forum has recommendations of which ones should be given daily, 2 to 4 times/week and so on... so I am going to work on a schedule. The PDF also has listings of Ca, Vit A, Vit C... and other items. It seems like a good starting point..

I just went to to the corner grocery to buy Green Bell peppers.. to see if they like them. I didn't know they were so high in Vitamin C. So far they are ignoring them.. but will leave them.. with the hope they will try. However, so far.. whaterver they liked.. they tried right away after I put it in. Anything they have not tried right after I put it... they have not eaten no matter how long I leave it in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.