Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggies have flashed back to the '60s!

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
LOL my stuff came in for my new cage today! Now I ordered the 4-color pack, and there were some other single colored packs that had pastel colors so I was thinking that the 4-color pack was all the other colors listed, all in one pack......WRONG ROFL!

We get the packs and open them and they are *drumroll please* all the colors of the regular rainbow. Bold colors So now I have psychedellic piggies, or at least they have psychedellic digs LMAO!

My camera batteries went toes up before I could upload the pics in the camera but I'll do it first thing when I get on tomorrow around noon. Other than that my piggies love their new 2x4 cage! I was going to do it 2x5 or 2x6 but hubby felt it wouldn't be stable on the 6' table (too much overhang especially going 2x6 grids, 2x5 BARELY fit), but we decided to build a second story onto it, hubby said if I can't get the piggies he can, so when we can get some more grids it'll be 2x2x4 or 2x4 with a 2x2 loft, I don't know which will be better..... plenty of room even if they have babies :D

Hubby will be getting back on the computer tonight soon but I'll look at the ramp structures in the pic gallery, and post pics of the cage as it is right now as the single level 2x4 :cheerful:

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
Wow! That'll be an eyeful! I'm sure it'll look awesome, though.

That's the theme I'm going after, sort of very colorful like a huge box of crayola. I can finally put to use the millions of stickers I've been collecting since fifth grade.

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
LOL well then the 4 color cube set on Wal-Mart.com is definitely the way to go then! Search using the phrase 'storage cubes' and it will come right up. Their brand is Whitmor I believe, they don't have the Organize-It that I know alot of people have gotten from Target.

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
LOL well then the 4 color cube set on Wal-Mart.com is definitely the way to go then! Search using the phrase 'storage cubes' and it will come right up. Their brand is Whitmor I believe, they don't have the Organize-It that I know alot of people have gotten from Target.

So you had them shipped to your house? I can't afford those rates because of my location, but I can ask my mother to go to Wal-Marts near her house or on the way there and ask for them by name. Sadly, there's not a single Target here in Puerto Rico, at least that I know of, but I'm pretty sure there isn't because if it existed here it would be located in the metro area around where I live. Thanks for mentioning the brand name, that'll help a lot when mom asks for the product.

twinkies

Cavy Slave
You talked about colors, well me tell you something that is absolutely the funniest thing. I was changing their cage and I ran out of puppy pads, so I put extra newspaper down and then their fleece. When I went to go get their fleece, all I saw was the dark blue. I usually use very bright and colorful fleece. But anyway, I put down the navy blue fleece and they were freaking out!:eye-poppi It was so funny to watch. Lily was walking on it like she was tiptoeing, like she was afraid to walk on it. Zoe would go down the ramp, look at it, sniff it and then run back up the ramp to their loft. It was the funniest thing. I wish I had a camcorder.
I changed their fleece the next day after I went to Walmart and got their puppy pads. Then they were popcorning all over the place. So, I know they love their colored fleece! Too funny!!!lol

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
Here's the pics I finally got uploaded to photobucket just now :)

Guineapigs3001.jpg

Guineapigs3003.jpg

]]]
Guineapigs3002.jpg

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
Man I look bad in that first pic LOL hubby wanted to get one with me in it. Looks like I have bed head and my hair is about 2 shades lighter than it is in that pic! LOL :eek:

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Cool cage CBrew! I wish we could get colourful grids over here - I have to make do with grey grids, and nasty black coroplast with yellow wrinting (which I try to hide with fleece!)

I can see you are using carefresh in your kitchen area - but have you got any bedding in the rest of the cage?

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
Wow! It looks gorgeous! Are those cubes as huge as they look in the pic? They look humongous! Are they the same standard measurements of 14 inches?

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
Cool cage CBrew! I wish we could get colourful grids over here - I have to make do with grey grids, and nasty black coroplast with yellow wrinting (which I try to hide with fleece!)

I can see you are using carefresh in your kitchen area - but have you got any bedding in the rest of the cage?

Not at the moment unfortunately, we used every bit that was left in the bag we had for the one side of the cage. Going to be getting some more ASAP though (should be Tues. since I can get that at Wal-Mart) and switching to fleece in the near future as well. The way Wal-Mart.com had the arrival time listed I really didn't think the cubes would get here before Tuesday and we had just changed out the cage we had them in, so we didn't have quite a full bag of the Critter Care left.

Yes those grids are the standard size, I believe they are 13 inches each, so just a little more than a foot. Can be a little confusing if you think a 2x6 GRID cage is going to be 2x6 FEET and not accounting for the overage LOL.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I like the colors! My only problem is I'm so neurotic sometimes, I would have to have some type of rigid color pattern and if I didn't have enough of each color for it to make sense I would probably short circuit my brain. So I'm better off with white! Multi-colored fleece would make a cute cage.

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
Great looking cage CB. I finally am home and able to enjoy the picture. I can not wait until you have the fleece and we get to see the final setup.

werecatrising

Cavy Slave
You talked about colors, well me tell you something that is absolutely the funniest thing. I was changing their cage and I ran out of puppy pads, so I put extra newspaper down and then their fleece. When I went to go get their fleece, all I saw was the dark blue. I usually use very bright and colorful fleece. But anyway, I put down the navy blue fleece and they were freaking out!:eye-poppi It was so funny to watch. Lily was walking on it like she was tiptoeing, like she was afraid to walk on it. Zoe would go down the ramp, look at it, sniff it and then run back up the ramp to their loft. It was the funniest thing. I wish I had a camcorder.
I changed their fleece the next day after I went to Walmart and got their puppy pads. Then they were popcorning all over the place. So, I know they love their colored fleece! Too funny!!!lol
That is way too funny!

werecatrising

Cavy Slave
The cage is nice! I am going to order those cubes from Wal- Mart. I was going to get purple, but now I'm thinking of getting the multi color. I wish they had dark purple too, I'm not really into pastels. Did they raise the price of the critter care at your wal mart? They did here.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Not at the moment unfortunately, we used every bit that was left in the bag we had for the one side of the cage. Going to be getting some more ASAP though (should be Tues. since I can get that at Wal-Mart) and switching to fleece in the near future as well. The way Wal-Mart.com had the arrival time listed I really didn't think the cubes would get here before Tuesday and we had just changed out the cage we had them in, so we didn't have quite a full bag of the Critter Care left.

You could put down newpapers or towels - or both in the mean-time - something to absorb the puddles! I've only used carefresh in littertrays - but find it easier (and less messy) to clean out with newspaper underneath - just roll it all up. :)

Can't wait to see your cage complete with fleece! I imagine anything would go!!!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I'm so neurotic sometimes

Oh come on PMK just say it, "I am anal retentive!!!" Ha Ha HA

Love the cage and it look as if you got it a great height for yourself.

I made my first cage with the coro that high. After about 2 weeks I trimmed the front down so I could see the pigs without having to go over to the cage and look in. You may want to do that. Also they will be able to see the activity in the house if you trim it down. 4" is a good height.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I have those multi-color grids. Ya want a real color shock, my coroplast is bright yellow along with them. :) I agree with you PMK, I had to have a pattern to the colors, so the front wall is red, the back is blue, and the sides are yellow and green. I think the bright sunny cage makes them wheek louder!

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
I made my first cage with the coro that high. After about 2 weeks I trimmed the front down so I could see the pigs without having to go over to the cage and look in. You may want to do that. Also they will be able to see the activity in the house if you trim it down. 4" is a good height.

4'' would be fine for the girls, they're already pushing 3 months old and a pound a piece, but would 4'' be enough to baby proof when the babies are born? I'd always heard 8'' was the way to go with that so that's why we did it that high. If 4'' would work though that'd be better for everybody involved, I could see in better and the girls could see out too.

Thanks for all the compliments, we're still debating what color fleece to go with. I'm voting for navy blue, hubby thinks sage or beige would hide the poops/pee puddles better LOL :D

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Don't get beige! Get something bright and colorful to match your bright and colorful cage! I'm sure there are all kinds of children's prints that have primary colors all over them that would look great. I just got some multi colored seseme street fleece. All the characters are playing soccer; it's cute.

werecatrising

Cavy Slave
I was just taking a second look at your cage and have a couple of questions. Did you put grids on the bottom? I thought people usually don't. Was there a reason you did? I was thinking of putting them on the bottom because it seems like it would be a bit sturdier. What is the part in the middle? Is it a hay rack? I'm still working out plans for my cage so I want to learn as much as possible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.