Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Buying Hay in Bulk

Denise

Cavy Slave
I live in farm country and want to buy hay in bulk. I need to know how to find the best quality timothy hay. First Cut, Second Cut? What questions do I need to ask? I looked at a few links and am more confused than before. HELP!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Just ask for grass or meadow hay. If you find somebody that specifically sells timothy hay, then ask for second cut.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
First cut is just the one with more seed heads and it's a bit coarser. Second cut is more leafy and has less seed heads. Good luck! =)

Denise

Cavy Slave
Thanks bunches!

Denise

Cavy Slave
Just got my bale to hay and it looks yucky! I am so disappointed. I don't think they will eat it but could I use it for bedding instead of throwing it out?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I think you can use it as bedding, you'll just have to change it every other day or so. Just make sure it isn't poky or anything because it may damage their eyes or get stuck in them if it is. I'm sorry about your hay, and I hope you can find someplace better! =)

MommaCavy3160

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use it as bedding, There's a good chance that they will eat it and might get sick from it.

If possible, could you return it for either a new bale or your money back?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
if buying hay in bulk, will it ever get "old" and unusable? How long will hay stay fresh, fresh enough for digestion?

Denise

Cavy Slave
MommaCavy, I'm not gonna return it, I'll just keep it for halloween decorations, it was only $2.50. I'm still angry though. It was cut earlier this year, is a second cut, and is almost all timothy. It looks almost like straw.

MommaCavy3160

Cavy Slave
That's good that you found another use for the hay. It's such a shame that the hay was in terrible shape, hopefully you'll find a better place for great hay next time =0).

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Glad you found a new use and it was so cheap. (That may be why).

loves2travel said:
if buying hay in bulk, will it ever get "old" and unusable? How long will hay stay fresh, fresh enough for digestion?
It can, yes, but as long as you store it properly it should last until it's gone. I just got an order of 35 lbs from (broken link removed) and it's going to last just fine. Put the hay in cardboard boxes and keep it in a place where it will not get wet, and where ther is good ventilation.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
Glad you found a new use and it was so cheap. (That may be why).

It can, yes, but as long as you store it properly it should last until it's gone. I just got an order of 35 lbs from (broken link removed) and it's going to last just fine. Put the hay in cardboard boxes and keep it in a place where it will not get wet, and where ther is good ventilation.
all right, will do. By the way, how do you like kleenmama's hay? do you reccomend it?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
mncavylover? what do you think of km's hay?

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
mncavylover? what do you think of km's hay?

mncavylover I want to know too, because I was thinking of ordering some some because shipping was hardly anything compared to what some online stores charge.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
mncavylover I want to know too, because I was thinking of ordering some some because shipping was hardly anything compared to what some online stores charge.
For 9lbs of hay it would be $15 that is including shipping which is pretty cheap!! For 25lbs it would be $22 still a really good buy. Any one know what Oxbow charges???

Edited- checked oxbow their shipping is way too much for 5lbs of food it was $12 dollars, then I added 9lbs of hay and it was $16.00.. eek!!! I like Kleemas prices way better!!!

Last edited:

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yep, they're better than Oxbow. =)

Ok, well, since you're all excited to hear what I've got to say, here goes (I'll just make a list):

1. It's really cheap.
2. KM is the most awesome person to work with.
3. The hay is softer and waaay less dusty than any hay I've tries, including Oxbow.
4. You're not supporting a pet store--yay!
5. It comes in large quantities, so you don't have to order very often. (Also saves gas!)

So yes, I'd recommend her hay. It came in one big box (I got 35 lbs), but when I took it out of the bags (I got 1/2 bluegrass and 1/2 timmy), only the timmy fit into the box! I filled all my other cardboard boxes iwth the bluegrass and there's still more! I think I'll get a pic up so everyone can see how big I'm talking. I'll do that soon.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
Yep, they're better than Oxbow. =)

Ok, well, since you're all excited to hear what I've got to say, here goes (I'll just make a list):

1. It's really cheap.
2. KM is the most awesome person to work with.
3. The hay is softer and waaay less dusty than any hay I've tries, including Oxbow.
4. You're not supporting a pet store--yay!
5. It comes in large quantities, so you don't have to order very often. (Also saves gas!)

So yes, I'd recommend her hay. It came in one big box (I got 35 lbs), but when I took it out of the bags (I got 1/2 bluegrass and 1/2 timmy), only the timmy fit into the box! I filled all my other cardboard boxes iwth the bluegrass and there's still more! I think I'll get a pic up so everyone can see how big I'm talking. I'll do that soon.

Ok good sounds like the hay is really nice, affordable, and the service is great!! I will have to order some!! Definantly take a picture of how much 35lbs is because I am still debating over how much to get. It would be great if you could take a picture!!

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Oh another question mncavylover! Which is better the bluegrass hay or timothy? Does it matter which one I get? Do your piggies like the bluegrass? Sorry for all the questions =)..

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
There's a feed store near me that sells bales of orchard grass hay for $12.99 per bale. The guy said it's about a 2x2x4 foot bale. This sounds like a LOT better deal than Kleenmama's hay, as a 35-lb bale (which she says is only 18x18x24) costs $17.00 plus $14.00 for shipping. Why the huge difference? Everyone has been saying how cheap her stuff is, but it looks like I can get about 4x more hay for half the price at this feed store. Any ideas/suggestions?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
its because the hay you're getting is from local farms - I know a feed store near me that sell a bale for $6

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.