Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Animal Welfare Act 2006!

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to post to say Hooray!!! The UK has finally brought in the Animal Welfare Act, to update and improve legislation protecting animals.

The Act includes a "duty of care", and enables the authorities to take action to PREVENT suffering, not only prosecute when it's too late. It also raises the minimum age you can purchase or win an animal from 12 to 16, and the penalties for committing an animal cruelty offence are much better.
It used to be a maximum of 6 months in jail and/or fine of up to £5000. Now it's jail of up to almost a year and/or fine of up to £20,000.

Last but no means least, it enables the government to bring in secondary legislation. At the moment they are discussing things like regulating various animal industries and possibly banning wild animals in circus.

Sorry it's a bit long, but I'm so please it has finally been passed. Now is the time for people to start writing to their MPs, DEFRA etc to make suggestions for secondary legislation.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Been going in Scotland for a couple of months now. However, the Act does not come into force in England and Wales until April 2007, it was just passed through parliament yesterday.

Won't be soon enough when it eventually does happen.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
I know it's not in yet, I'm just glad it finally made it through parliament. With all the to-ing and fro-ing I thought it might run out of time.

Nice to see were finally following Scotlands fab example! lol.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.