Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is it just me?

werecatrising

Cavy Slave
Today is the first time that my piggies are actually enjoying floor time. They usually hide the whole time. Tonight, however, they are running and popcorning like crazy. I should be happy watching them but I am sad, in a way. The day after tommorow the babies will be 3 weeks old and I'll be seperatin Rocky from Cookie and Bella. I know it has to be done, but I am going to feel so cruel. I hate situations like this. A rescue comes to you, scared and confused. You build up their trust and then do something like this. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Bella came into my life, I just wish there was an easier way. I am planning on building a cage, making it two sections for now. I'll have Rocky neutered when he is old enough, but that won't be for three or four months. Of course, then there's the month or so to wait afterward. It just seems so long.

How do you guys deal with it? Do the babies and mom seem to adjust?

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
When Dexter became 3 weeks old and I seperated him from his mom and sister, he was really the only one that cared that he had been seperated. Holly and Midnight didn't even really seem to notice or care that he was gone. You might want to keep Rocky far away from the girls for a week or two to help him forget. That's what I did with Dexter and it worked well. Good luck!

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
When I took my boars from their mom, they never seemed to care much.
When I got the 4 foster babies though, they squealed and raised a rukus for 2 solid weeks (they were taken from their mom). The best thing you can do is just seperate them completely from her for a while until they "forget" her.

hammy

Cavy Slave
When I separated Simba at three weeks he did just fine. I'm not saying that he didn't have moments of being lonely but I gave him LOTS of extra love and attention because I felt so bad about him being by himself. He turned 3 weeks old on a Saturday. I put them down for floor time and I remember thinking, "Oh, maybe I'll wait until tomorrow to separate them", again because I was feeling so bad. About an hour into floor time I caught him trying to mount his mom. Well, that did it and I knew it had to be done right then and there. I got him fixed as soon as I could. He was born on May 13th and I got him fixed on September 15. I actually had two separate cages on opposite sides of the room. If you are going to have the cages butted up to each other be sure to overlap the girds because he WILL be able to squeeze through otherwise. Even if it seems like he can't fit, he probably can. I had that experience once also during floor time. Rocky will be fine. Just give hims lots of extra hugs and kisses and before you know it he will ready for surgery and then ready to join his girls again.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, you may not have to wait 4 months to have him neutered. It really just depends on his size and if his testicles are developed. Also, you only need to wait 2 weeks after he's neutered. I publish 3-4 in case people cheat. But if you wait at least two weeks, you will be fine. You can take that to the bank.

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
Also, you may not have to wait 4 months to have him neutered. It really just depends on his size and if his testicles are developed. Also, you only need to wait 2 weeks after he's neutered. I publish 3-4 in case people cheat. But if you wait at least two weeks, you will be fine. You can take that to the bank.

Oh man this makes me worry about ending up with boar babies from Butterscotch and Zorro. :weepy:

Question though kinda related. You said it depends on weight, how big does the baby need to be before he's neutered. I'm assuming that if we end up with 2 boys it'd be better to leave them both intact and just house them together but separately from the girls? I think I read somewhere that if you have 2 boys, even neutered, in the same cage with females that they'll fight over who gets which female.....is that right?

werecatrising

Cavy Slave
Well, that's good to know. Maybe it won't be so bad after all. Thanks to everyone for your support. This forum has been great!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.