Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Should I add 3rd pig?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I have been wondering about adding one more piggy to my two bonded boars. Do you think this is a good idea, and does older, younger, or the same age usually work better? I've heard all three, and am wondering what everyone here thinks. Also, does the third pig get treated as a "third wheel" at all? Do even numbers work better, then? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm working on convincing the parents, and I'd like some evidence to back it up with. Thanks, everyone! =)

cornhill

Cavy Slave
3rd pig

mncavylover said:
I have been wondering about adding one more piggy to my two bonded boars. Do you think this is a good idea, and does older, younger, or the same age usually work better? I've heard all three, and am wondering what everyone here thinks. Also, does the third pig get treated as a "third wheel" at all? Do even numbers work better, then? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm working on convincing the parents, and I'd like some evidence to back it up with. Thanks, everyone! =)
I've been wanting to do the same thing with my two boars. I was told to get a younger one if I wanted a 3rd one. My two are around 15 months old.

Allysse

Cavy Slave
How old are your boars right now?

If they all got along there should not be a third wheel kind of deal.
Messing with pig social structures can be difficult. My guess is that you want another guinea pig for yourself, not for your pigs. In this case, I would suggest adopting a bonded pair of boars that can live seperately if they don't get along with your existing boars.

I once had a bonded pair of boars that I tried to introduce a third boar to. One of the existing boars paired up with the new boar, leaving the other existing boar alone.

It's messy business and if persued should be taken with caution and lots of guidence from the local rescue:)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks for the advice, Allysse! By the way, jpgpr is my local rescue, just to let you know. =) I've heard great things about you guys. My two boars are about eight months old now, not sure though. We got them this January 11th, and they looked to be about a month old then. I'm guessing an older piggy would do well, but I'm not yet sure.

Allysse

Cavy Slave
Hmm, 8 months. That's not a real good age to be introducing cavies. Basically you want to avoid adding new cavies between 9 and 14 months old (depending on the cavy this could be 8 - 18 months old). But more depends on the types of pigs you want to put together.

As it is, if both your boars are really close to the same age and they are approaching the peak of their hormones you're probably going to see a lot of rumblestrutting, reversal of dominance, and maybe a few fights. It's your job to keep this time as smooth as possible so that they stay friends.

I would concentrate on your existing boars. But, if you are set on getting more guinea pigs then I would suggest a bonded pair that you keep seperate from your boys that you have now. I would definately stay away from females, it might drive your boars crazy - especially at this age. If you were only looking at adding a third boar then I would actually say go younger. I can't imagine an adult pig being very receptive to two hormonal boys. But again, depends on the pigs.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks again for all your help! I may look into a younger boar, though I probably won't get one now. I had no idea it was bad to introduce a new guinea pig at this stage, but I guess it must be. Thanks again! =)

Denise

Cavy Slave
What about adding a third female to a pair of not-so-bonded females? My girls tend to squabble a bit more than I think they should about food, sleeping arrangements and cuddle time. (They prefer one-on-one time). Any suggestions?

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
My young sow (2 months old) is staying well with my 2 sow (1 yr old) in same cage. At first, the young 1 was bullied by the 2 older sows but after letting them alot of floor time together, staying in same cage but separated area, they get along well in few days time.

conniehsc

Cavy Slave
cavylover said:
hmmm i think they'll always do that until they really get ot know eachother.I have that problem with all my female hamsters but not any of my other animals.Whenever i put new food in they fight about it like thats the last food they'll ever get.
I know this is off topic, but what kind of hamster do you have? If you have syrians (the bigger type), they should not be caged together. They will always fight no matter what. Syrian hamsters are solitary, and they must be caged alone (1 hamster per cage only). They don't like other hamsters, or any other animals. That is why your hamsters are fighting. It's not because they are not bonded, they will never be bonded. It is because that's their nature. They must live alone. But that is only if they are syrians. If they're dwarfs, then that does not apply (but I have heard that a female dwarf pair tends to fight more than a male dwarf pair, but anyways...). Dwarfs *might* get along if they are siblings and/or they've been caged together since they were very young. But in many cases, even under these circumstances, the dwarfs still end up fighting and have to be seperated. But anyways.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yes, even though some hamsters may get along, the vast majority won't. That's probably why they're fighting. And even dwarf hamsters really don't get along, as they are solitary animals (unlike pigs). Anyway...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.