Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Looking for two baby sisters

Jonika

Cavy Slave
I adopted my first Guinea pig, Buddy, from a little girl who no longer wanted him. He was replaced by a dog! He was "about" 7 years old. I only had him for about 10 months - we fell in love with him! He passed away last week in my arms - we are devastated. My husband has just built a very large cage...we are looking to get two very young girls (prefferably sisters). I do NOT want to go to a Pet Store. I am having a horrible time finding a G.P. breeder near Cleveland, Ohio. Is there anyone out there that can lead me in the right direction?? We are so lonely now that our Buddy is gone. :weepy:

We are looking for two baby sisters, short haired - multi colored. What is also helpful is light colored nails for trimming, but not necessary. ;)

I also want to add - all the things I learned about caring for Buddy was at this site. Thanks to all of you who were so helpful!

Last edited:
Hi! It sounds like you really cared about Buddy, I am sorry that he has passed on.

Seeing as you had such a positive experience with adopting a guinea pig before, why don't you adopt again?

Please, please stay away from breeders. Breeders contribute to the overpopulation problem and treat their "stock* horribly. Don't contribute to that problem, opt to adopt! Check out Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. to find some little girls in need of homes near you.

I believe Ohio has a a couple of GP rescues

(broken link removed)
P.O. Box 294
Mogadore, Ohio 44260
[email protected]
Erin Moore

(broken link removed)
11718 Hanover Road
Cincinnati, OH 45240
513-674-9077
[email protected]
Karen N Oehlerts

Please go to Erin's website as I believe she is very close to you. She has alot of pigs right now.

Please do not buy from a breeder - ADOPT!

Thank you so much for all of your help! Magadore is a little bit over an hour away - it's close.

:?: I looked at the website (very briefly) and saw that some were in dire straights - bad health. How do I know that they are HEALTHY? I can not go through losing another piggy - not yet.

When you adopt from a rescue, they won't adopt them out until they get a clean bill of health. The pigs you saw may have just come into the shelter and are being treated right now.

No reputable rescue will adopt any pig to you unless he or she is in the best of health.

I know for a fact Erin would not. If you see one (or more) on her site you are interested in, inquire and go from there.

Hmm..not sure which pigs you were talking about, but as Talishan said, if Erin has them up for adoption they are fine. She does have some that have special needs, but I believe those are marked as such. This doesn't mean that they are in poor health, but that they have a special need or issue. Personally, the special need pigs are the ones that tug on my heart strings.

I hope you find some pigs that will work for you.

How do you know that the breeder pigs are healthy? You say you have been around here long enough and read up. If so, you'd know about "breeding" and the homeless pig population.

Yes, rescues often get in neglected pigs, but they rehab them and turn them around. Most of these are from breeder dumps or the like.

Thanks, everyone - Erin it is! I have contacted her via e-mail and have a list of about 8 sweeties to narrow down to only two...I "suggested" to my hubby to get more. (he didn't like that suggestion very much) Buddy's old cage was 2x6 grids, my hubby just "upped" the size a bit to 2x7...that's as big as we can get for our living room - yes, our living room - we want the piggys with us, that's where Buddy was happiest. We just have to put some finishing touches on the cage and get new supplies.❤️

While I have all of your expertise attention (I was only a cavy slave for a short 10 months - of a very old piggy that wasn't too active) Three questions::confused:

1) I think Buddy's main cause of death was old age, but I'm not sure...the vet never did figure out what was wrong. (he was 7 or 8)...My question is - can I re-use his water bottle, igloo, food dish, etc.?? Or should I discrad everything and buy new...of course I will wash and scrub them.

2) I have just discovered a product "Kleenmama" for pellets and hay - what is your recommendation??? I really don't trust pet store's food...that's what Buddy ate - I'm new at this, don't yell at me.

3) Are you REALLY supposed to give a piggy a BATH with soap and water????????:crazy:

1) I think Buddy's main cause of death was old age, but I'm not sure...the vet never did figure out what was wrong. (he was 7 or 8)...My question is - can I re-use his water bottle, igloo, food dish, etc.?? Or should I discrad everything and buy new...of course I will wash and scrub them.

They should be fine to use. You can either hand scrub/rinse well or run them through the diswasher.

2) I have just discovered a product "Kleenmama" for pellets and hay - what is your recommendation??? I really don't trust pet store's food...that's what Buddy ate - I'm new at this, don't yell at me.

Kleenmama is excellent. Our other recommendation is (broken link removed) You won't get yelled at if you didn't know any better. We all started someplace.

3) Are you REALLY supposed to give a piggy a BATH with soap and water????????

Only when ther really need it ad only with a good small animal shampoo

Thanks, VoodoJ! You're the best.

What's your opinion -

We need to travel over the Thanksgiving weekend. I was not going to get my girls until after that so they won't be alone. They would have to be alone for just two days. Should I leave them, or no??

If you can talk your hubby into it a 2x7 would be OK for 4 sows and also if you can take care of them all (feed, veggies, hay, possible vet bills etc.)

*sly grin* :D

I would wait until after Thanksgiving if you can stand to hold off that long. I know the anticipation of new family members can make the waiting horrible! :)

If you choose to go with Kleenmama for food and hay, her products are only available online at (broken link removed). Oxbow has a retail locator on their page as well as ordering directly from them and a few links to places to buy their products online. (broken link removed) is a fun store with a lot of toys, accessories, supplies, and most of the Oxbow product line.

I've left my girls for 2-3 days before. I just made sure I gave them a bunch of veggies the day I leave, a big bowl of pellets, plenty of hay, and water. They have always been fine. (happy to see me when I get home because they know who gives them fresh veggies)

I can understand you wanting to wait so you don't leave them alone, but I would want them now!

Both have good points about leaving the piggies alone. I want them sooo bad! But then, I certainly will not enjoy myself knowing that my new little girls were all alone, but then, I thought - maybe they'd enjoy the peacefulness of getting used to their new environment - but then, myabe they will be shocked when we get back home!!

Oh, heck - I guess I'll just have to wait!!

I'm going shopping for new stuff (at your suggested critter store) and I can spend a ton of time preparing for their arrival. I guess I am "nesting".

Hi Jonika,
I'm Chasity, I'm the volunteer that sent you the app. We use a local hay for all the pigs in rescue and our personal herds. It's very reasonably priced. We also get pellets that are made in Ohio from the feed store. It's Buckeye brand. If you go to the oxbow site you can find that some feed stores around Ohio do sell their hay and pellets. But, we've found that the hay we feed is loved by the piggies and we can't beat the cost.

With the piggies that you listed, the only ones related are Macy and Molly. Suzie and Mootoo are sisters (their mother has been adopted), Princess Moo and Libby are sisters (their mother is Carrie), Pearl and Velma are mother and daughter (the other daughter has been adopted), Reese and Shakira are mother and daughter. Those are the only ones I remember off hand. Those are the girls that were born at my house, they tend to stick in my mind.

Hi Cacosta (Chasity)!!

Oh, they are all just soooo cute! I love Moo - she looks like a SKUNK, my 14 yr old just loved her. Since I am looking for two, I would really prefer NOT to break up a family...that would make me too sad. I woulr prefer either two sisters or mom and daughter. I was asuming that since they were realted, that they's look the same - you proved me wrong...that's good. I would prefer two that did NOt look the same.

I am dying to know when I have been approved for adoption - I was up very late last night completing my application! ❤️

The girl's new cage should be done by Friday, probably sooner. I ordered two new cozy's (from this site). They might also be here by the weekend.

Thanks for the food advice!!

Since we had so many being born and housing was limited they just kinda got put with whoever had room in their cage at the time so the sisters/moms/daughters aren't always paired up. I do have Pearl and Velma living together at my house in foster care. I have an extra cage set up just because we started running out of room and it served as maturnity ward when the babies started coming.

I know that Libby and Mootoo are living together with Princess Moo and Suzie. Pearl, Velma, Marla and Elsie are here together. Shakira, Reese, Collette and Haylee live together. It's hard to remember who is where when I'm not there to peak in cages. But, I hope that helps with the selection some.

Cocasta,
I am EXTREMELY interested in Mootoo (she looks like a little skunk!!) - I was also interested in baby Macy, but they are not room mates (?)...so, we are interested in Libby or Suzie as well. (Is Libby Suzie's Aunt??)

I have tried and tried with my hubby - he is restricting me at only TWO :weepy: new piggys...but, hey - at least it's two instead of NONE! I really tried to push three - whew - that was tough! Four??? "Forgetta bout it!" (Remember, that adopting only ONE was a hard sell for me.) I know, "what's one more?"...try telling HIM that! LOL

The cage is FINISHED!!! (YEAH!!) I am anxiuosly awaiting my new cozys. I looked up "Oxbow" food and hay - there is a reatil store very close to me. I'm going to go check them out to make sure that they carry it - and will buy it - if not, I guess I have to order it - no big deal. (shhh...plus buy some toys.)

We want to rescue two piggys that are related and already living together (so we don't have to quaranteen anyone).❤️

So - what's next?? When do we find out that our application has been accepted? My arms are yurning for the cuddles!!! My ears can't wait for their little squeeks. When can we come and check out those piggys???

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.