Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Big enough for 3?

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
I haven't started looking for piggies yet (only just got the new kitchen fitted) but I was wondering how many to get.

The cage will be 2 1/2 grids by four (so the same floor space as a 2 x 5), with either a 2 by 2 1/2, or 1 by 4 loft. I plan on using fleece and towells for bedding.

Will this be big enough for 3 piggies, or should I stick to 2?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you're looking at 3 girls, you might be OK with a 2 1/2X4 cage. Sows tend to be a bit less territorial. I wouldn't put more than 2 boars in a cage that size though. Keep in mind that the loft area is great to have a seperate kitchen or play area, but only the first floor counts towards necessary square footage.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
That's fine. Like I said, I haven't started looking yet so it will partly depend on what the rescue has available. I don't mind only having two, regardless of whether they are male or female.

I don't really understand why lofts don't count towards space at all though?

I mean, from what I've read on this site, guinea pigs are ground dwelling creatures that need open, flat spaces for running and popcorning - which is why the minimum cage sizes are so large (compared to pet store cages) and why you're not supposed to section areas off.
But surely if the cage is big enough on the ground floor for a piggy to run and popcorn fully, then more piggies would not make much difference (as long it is large enough for enough sleeping and eating areas and isn't overcrowded, which is where the loft would come in useful?

Please don't think I'm being offensive. I fully agree on giving all animals as big a cage as possible, and I have no intention of giving my pigs less than the cage sizes reccomended here.... I'm just curious why lofts do not count at all, even if the bottom level is big enough? Hope that makes sense....

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
I've found that a loft does actually help if you can't expand out and have a couple guinea pigs that don't get along well in a cage that already meets or exceeds the size requirements (and/or recommendations). They can get some alone time when they want, and cuddle time when they're being buddies.

Of course, bigger is always better, and the first choice to go with if you have it. :)

Right now I've only managed to find room for a 2x3 with loft for the neutered male/female I plan on pairing up in a couple weeks... I was already pushing it for a 2x5 for the two boys... I can't believe I found room for another 2x3! We'll see how it goes though. I *might* have room to go another grid longer once the quarantine cages are gone, but donno :|

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
As you said, guinea pigs are ground dwelling animals. If you have a loft, and your animals take advantage of it, that's great, but you don't want to rely on that. A lot of guinea pigs never get the hang of ramps or simply just don't like going upstairs. If your ground floor is large enough, you don't ever have to worry about that.

The loft or second floor gives you extra space if you have headstrong pigs who need seperate chill out space and certainly allows for a seperation of the kitchen and sleeping/play areas if you want that. It's kind of like having a seperate bonus or game room in a human house. They're great to have, but not essential.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks for your help.

I would love to build a bigger cage but unfortunately the absolute longest I can make it is 4 grids. At least it's better than a pet store cage!

Fay

Cavy Slave
Hmz, I guess my guinea pigs are unique then they can easily climb over steep ramps and prefer sitting higher up on the lofts then on the floor area.

Their wild version lives in de andeon region though and there are a lot of mountains there so they can climb well I suppose, but the domesticated version doesn't always know how I guess. I think if you start at a young age pigs are easily taught to go up ramps even when they are steep. They are very capable of doing climbing atleast mine are. Just if you do make ramps don't make them steep just to be safe (I only tried a steep hill once and they had no problems going up or down at all, I don't do it anymore just to be safe of any injuries) It's just a matter of taking the commitment to teach them these things, My guinea pigs are pretty much fearless as we taught them all these things from a young age and they consider the lofts as play area as well, I think loft area's do count as ground area for some piggies. Not too mention these ramps are good exersize for them as well.

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
The ramp leading to the loft actually takes away floor space (the pigs won't be able to run laps around the edge). However, if you had a bit of room, you could build a ramp outside of the main cage area, so in that case a second floor would be a good idea. I saw a picture in the gallery where someone had used bendy plastic tubes running on the outside of the cage so that there was no ramp to take away floor space.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.