Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Cavy Owner

drakonae

Cavy Slave
Hello to everyone,

I would first like to say that I love this website and have found a great deal of information here.

I have always loved little furry creatures and recently decided that I wanted a guinea pig. They are just irresistable with their little furry bodies, twitching noses, and adorable little noises.

But being ignorant as I was, I went to a local pet store (this past Tuesday 8/17) to purchase mine along with the pet-store sized cage and accessories. I purchased an abyssian (sp?) red and white male. I was surprised to see he still had his umbilical cord (which just yesterday fell off). That makes wonder exactly how young this little guy is and if, perhaps, he was much too young to be torn away from mum.

Having found this site on wednesday, I am in the process of purchasing the materials needed to make a C&C cage for my new little guy.

I was also surprised to see how affectionate he is, to be so young and so new to his new environment. He will run sometimes when I pick him up, but usually he will sit still and not protest........then once in my lap, he'll sit there and make all kinds of purring and squeaking noises, occasionally crawling up towards my chin to snuggle. He's just the sweetest thing.

However, having a full time job, I want to get him a companion. After reading this website, I don't want to purchase another piggy from the pet store, however, I reside in Alabama and after searching, it seems there are no rescues for guinea pigs. The closes is Atlanta, GA, which is a bit far to go for me.

If anyone here is from or familiar with Alabama and knows of a cavy rescue, please let me know.

Thank you much!

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
If only you could make it out to Atlanta, I know of one rescue that is quite crowded and bursting with adoptable pigs.

Good luck.

drakonae

Cavy Slave
ChadWPB said:
If only you could make it out to Atlanta, I know of one rescue that is quite crowded and bursting with adoptable pigs.

Good luck.
If that's my only option, I would be willing to do it. It's about a two hour drive from where I am. (and two hours isn't that bad considering I'd be saving a cavy and providing a companion to my little one at home) However, It would be more convenient to find one closer to me, but I haven't ruled it out completely.

I just want to consider all my options first.

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Yes, it's tough, but you'll be helping out a really good rescue and getting the buddy your piggie needs.

We adopt from a rescue in Gainesville, 5 hours away. We know the rescuer personally and all the pigs we've adopted there are excellent, healthy piggies.

Of course, check all options first, but do not hesitate to drive to Atlanta if nothing closer comes up.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I looked online and found some in Atlanta and Ball Ground, GA on petfinder. I also found two listings on (broken link removed). One female and one male. The male lives in Atlanta, but they would be willing to drive. He is a 2.5 lb American piggy. The female is a short-haired living in Cartersville. I hope this helps you, and good luck on your search!

I found one piggy pair (m/f combo, given up) in Wetumpka, AL. The link to their page is this: www.elmorehumane.com. It is under construction now, however, and I couldn''t find them there. They have been mistreated and are now separate. This is a direct link to the pigs: (broken link removed)=.

Oh, and if you want to find some rescues or shelters in your area, go to (broken link removed) and click the appropriate link.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.