Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Excess Hormones?

shortlilcutie

Cavy Slave
I've had my new piggy with my old pig for almost 5 days now. My other pig is 4 years old and he will not stop humping the baby! (its 4-5 months old). Is this normal? Will he stop doing this? Also, my new piggy tries to bite fingers when we hold him, how can I get him to stop doing this? Thanks in advance!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
It is just the older piggy trying to establish his/her dominance. It should go away once the dominance is established, can't tell you exactly how long that will take. =)

Treen

Cavy Slave
Have a look at this part of the Social Life page https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions - it lists all the introduction behaviours that are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about (of which humping is definitely one!). Should help reassure you as I know it can all seem quite frantic!

As for biting - have a look at this page for possible reasons https://www.cavyspirit.com/biting.htm. With him being quite young, he may still be in the 'if you don't know hat it is, nibble it' phase, or perhaps you keep handling veggies just before handling him and he's a bit confused about which is food and which is finger. But there's plenty of good advice on making sure he feels secure when you're handling him and also possibilities like him having mites which make guinea pigs reluctant to be handled. Good luck!

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
My pigs both bit me when they were new. I think I got it once or twice from each pig. Once was just poor thinking on my part. I cut up a nectarine and my fingers were covered in the juice. I then tried to feed a piece to my pig and he mistook my finger for the fruit. Once they were older they stopped biting, even when roughhoused a bit too much by the kids. They are very gentle.

As they got older they also stopped peeing and pooping on our laps - thank goodness!!!

shortlilcutie

Cavy Slave
ok thats great!!! thanks everyone!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.