Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supporting upper deck

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Since I am a big softie and am adding another pig, I built a larger cage today. The lower lever is 2x4 with an upper deck of 2x2. I am looking for some kind of support in the center of the 2x2, any suggestions? I thought maybe a piece of PVC pipe would work, I want to minimize the space it takes from the bottom level.

I also am going to lower our exisiting 2x3 with a L shaped 1x3 upper deck down on level with the larger one. The girls will be seperate but still able to see one another and interact.

I am keeping Petunia's old almost 2x3 as our isolation cage and if Spice happens to have any boars, as our male cage until neutering when he can be reintroduced back in with some girls.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
I have only a one level cage but I did add two lofts. I initially used a chubb tunnel as a support but they kept moving it and it did take too much space. In the end I strung zip ties together and ran a loop from the unsupported corner of the loft up to the cage top. Of course this only works if you have a top to your cage.

Cavyz617927

Cavy Slave
Thin rope could be useful

Does the cage have bars on the top? You could tie ropes from the floor to the top in the corners. I am also thinking of adding a secondlevel to my cages. If the rope mowes too much, then you could try putting brackets on the side bars of the cage.

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Nope, it is an open cage. I have everything except one grid on the upper deck zip tied within an inch of its life. I think it is very stable and okay without any additional support. I am still considering a piece of 1" PVC pipe, zipped to the removable grid as additional support. I think I probably have some PVC already on hand. I have the one grid removable to make it easier to clean under the deck. As soon as I finish rearranging cages and setting up the larger cage with its accessories, I will post some pictures.

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I had a 17" section of PVC pipe left over from making agility weave poles so I just cut that to length. It is holding the unsupported joint very nicely, can be moved for cleaning and if a racing pig knocks it hard enough to move it, the upper deck is still very stable. The extra support is just for my peace of mind. I uploaded a picture of our larger cage in my photo gallery.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's great! I didn't have any, unfortunately, that's why I just used some coroplast. =) I love your cages, too!

conniehsc

Cavy Slave
I made 2 columns to support my 2x1.5 upper deck:

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Cool! You may want to consider adding grids around the edge of the upper level so they don't fall off though. Just a thought, I know mine would jump out of that. Great cage, though! =) I'm assuming you took the pictures beforeit was all messed up with hay, right?

conniehsc

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
Cool! You may want to consider adding grids around the edge of the upper level so they don't fall off though. Just a thought, I know mine would jump out of that. Great cage, though! =) I'm assuming you took the pictures beforeit was all messed up with hay, right?
I haven't had any pigs flying off the 2nd level yet! Haha! (I know if it does happen, it's already too late). I don't want to make the cage too 'contained'..because it feels like I'm putting the piggers into a jail and not a home. And yeah I took the pictures right after I cleaned the cage! I just vacuumed the room too! Poop-free and hay-free! (which lasts for around 1 minute).

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Don't worry about "containing" them. It's for their own safety, and I would suggest doing so asap so nothing happens. It's good that you want them to feel at home, but if their safety is at risk I would take action. Cool cage though!

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
After looking at your photos, I would definitely add a few more grids so they form walls around the three outer sides of your loft area. A fall could cause a serious injury to them.

As for the "jail," considering that pigs don't know what jails are, they are not going to have that negative association with the grid walls. I'm sure they won't care in the least. They're used to them down below anyway.

If you don't like the look, cut the grids down 1/3 or 1/2 of the way to make shorter walls. It's a major pain and you need a hacksaw to get through the fatter edges but it can be done. I used wire cutters on the thinner parts (although that took a lot of strength to make the cut).

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I would just cut a grid down. I cut one in half to form a railing on my upper deck. It would be better than risking an injury from a fall.

catinhat72

Cavy Slave
I noticed in looking at a couple different sites that some use a large wooden dowel run through the walls of the cage and under the loft area. This would eliminate taking up valuable floor space with a floor support but would still give sufficient support. When I get to making my bunny cage larger this is the way I'll probably go. Hope this helps.
catinhat72

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Good idea! I like it, but would the dowel fit underneath well? I guess it depends on how you make your cage. Thanks for the tip! =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.