Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy housing suggestions

Cavyz617927

Cavy Slave
I have some suggestions for cavy housing:

I noticed that my 2 gineua pigs like to hide in card board boxes, you can make little "pads" around the room, just cut a hole in the box, and put a towel inside.
They love to go in and out of the boxes, it gives them some excersise and it's not too expensive to make.

A Cavy needs a place to hide in it's cage, I recomend buying a plastic dome, or a wooden structure for inside the cage. Or as a cheaper alternative, you can cut out the bottom of card board boxes and cut a little doorway in the front.
Then just put it in the cage.

Some cavies like to have seperate houses for each one of them, I recomend having more than one house if your cavies fight over the one.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
You can also just take a box and cut two holes on different sides. Then, you can put the lid on the bottom (really the top), and it will have a "floor"! Also, see my ice cream bucket house ideas on the hidey house section of the photo galleries. =)

Denise

Cavy Slave
My husband has just finished his third house for the girls. The first one they grew out of, the next one was huge, but they fought over who would be inside, and now the third had 2 separate rooms. No more bickering! He went to Home Depot, bought some untreated lumber scraps for $1. per board, and about an hour later, voila, piggie house! They kept pushing the bedding aside and sleeping on the coroplast so I took a cloth diaper and put it under the house on top of the bedding, so now they have a "mattress".

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
Our pigs love soda 24-pack "cube" boxes. I cut the top out (where the handle is), flip it over, unglue the cardboard on one end, and leave the flaps on so it's a little longer. Plenty of height, and easy for them to turtle around in because it's light!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Cool idea... if only we drank pop... Oh well! Thanks for the idea anyway! =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.