Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puzzled by nipping

SandyF

Cavy Slave
My husband and I adopted our 8th boar in August -- Henry. Although the shelter could give us zero in the way of details about him (other than his previous owner dumped him "due to allergies"), we estimate that he's around 4 years old and seems to be in very good health.

Henry is a very outgoing and friendly pig, but he has a habit of nipping that has us a little confused. When we first got him, I went ahead and treated for mites as a precaution. Didn't really show any signs of mites, but his coat was a little rough and dull (most likely diet-related; he didn't seem to know what fresh vegetables were), and I figured it was better to be safe than sorry. He has never itched/scratched much, doesn't have any scabbing, redness, inflammation -- none of the usual signs of parasites or skin problems. Yet, he will suddenly swing his head around and bite at us without warning.

Doesn't seem to be any specific location that causes the reaction, and it doesn't seem to be related to a need to urinate. He will be happily cooing away (again, he's extremely affectionate and loves to be held and petted), then will quickly turn his head and nip. He continues to coo as he does this, and there is no teethchattering or other signs that he's angry, so I'm really puzzled by it. The only thing I can see as a pattern, is that he doesn't like your hand to approach him too quickly or from the sides. Either of those actions will almost always provoke a nip.

He also likes to give chin licks, and very often he will be gently licking my chin or face and will suddenly clamp down very hard with his teeth and pull at my skin -- often leaving a small bruise. When I say "NO!" and nudge him away with my hand or arm, he then nips at my hand or my arm. Then he goes back to cooing and seeming perfectly content. He does not nip when I clip nails or brush him, and is even very well-behaved for anal sac inspections.

We've had nipping pigs before that were related to mites, and young pigs who grew out of it, but this is a new one. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the nipping means, and the best way to discourage it?

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
I have a baby bunny that's just like that - he's happily licking away and suddenly he'll nip! But it's a very soft nip, he doesn't leave any bruises or make me bleed, but it makes me a bit nervous when he starts getting near a sensitive area (thighs when I have him in my lap).

SandyF

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean about "sensitive areas." I have a mole on my neck that I've always been very protective of, and the first week Henry was here, he grabbed ahold of it and made it bleed. OUCH.

I'm thinking I may just do a Nizoral bath to rule out something fungal going on, but I really see it as a behavioral thing. Maybe someone from his past was too rough with him? I know he does have a small chunk missing from his left ear that looks like an old war wound. Maybe an aggressive cagemate at one time? He doesn't seem at all fearful of anything, is otherwise very laid-back and likes people.

I'm all ears on the best way to gently discourage the behavior. He's so otherwise sweet, that I don't want him to think I'm angry with him. He does nip at my husband, too, so it's not just me this time. ;)

I ordered a bottle of "Fooey" (it's a bitter spray that is labeled as safe for ferrets and rabbits) and am going to try spritzing around my neckline to see if it helps discourage him from chewing there.

Wish me luck!

piggiebun

Cavy Slave
Humper does this alot too. He doesn't seem to have mites or lice, but I notice if you tickle him he bites at his feet. He will nibble his feet on the opposite side of the tickles. Very weird!

mommy2rosie

Cavy Slave
Rosie my oldest piggy will nip. At first I thought it was something, but later I realized she's trying to tell me she loves me. It's the only thing I could think of. She never niped hard, but she would gently nip my finger. Maybe he doesn't realize his power or something. Rosie also leaned to stick her noes to mine to show affection. I don't know if that helps, but maybe.

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
I ordered a bottle of "Fooey" (it's a bitter spray that is labeled as safe for ferrets and rabbits) and am going to try spritzing around my neckline to see if it helps discourage him from chewing there.

Wish me luck!

Good luck, then! I don't know what that Fooey spray is made of, but when reading about ferrets people used sour apple or pear paste/spray to discourage them. Maybe you could try this out if all else fails?

Chantellymarie

Cavy Slave
My boys Brownie and Moe nip when they want to go back in their cage to go potty. Happens everytime. They nip then if we don't listen they go potty right where they are standing, sometimes right on us.

mommy2rosie

Cavy Slave
My Rosie "cries" when she wants to go potty. But if she ever gets mad at me, she will go right there. She's, um, tepermental? Maybe that's the word. Anyways, just though I would share.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.