Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

fleece and short or no sides

Pa_piggies

Cavy Slave
Well after seeing that home depot or other stores might cut the shelving for me- Im a little late. I already have the shelving here, and am going to pick up the coroplast. I couldn't find the truck keys so I took the car but it wouldn't fit. The man cut the coroplast for me but it wouldn't fit that way either. He said just find your keys and I will hold the coroplast. so I'm going in a few minutes to get it.

Question is, I have a sheet of coroplast cut in half. that makes 20 4x4 sheets. I won't have anything to fold up on the sides. I thought maybe if i use fleece, I won't have to have sides on the short ends. I'm not sure ow this is going to work. Do they kick poo out of the cage on fleece?

I thought about this fleece thing for sometime, but doing laundry every day with this fleece for 12 piggies is out of the question. I would have to buy quite a bit and do laundry maybe once or twice a week and just have a large laundry bin to store it in until wash day. It seems less messy in ways than shavings but Im still trying to decide. I thought I'd try something different until I found the truck keys to ggo pick up the coroplast. I used an old plastic table cloth on the ground for the one cage. I used an old sheet on top of it, and what a mess. It seems that they sat in the corners and did nothing but pee and poo all day. They knocked pellets all over the cage and strewed them all through the poo. what a mess, and on a white sheet-looked terrible. Well leaving now to get the coroplast and try to decide on a cage set up

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Pa_Piggies, I am a bit confused here. Sorry if I am asking questions that you have already answered somewhere else on the board.
You say you have enough coro for "I have a sheet of coroplast cut in half. that makes 20 4x4 sheets". I am sure you meant 2 -4x4 sheets. To back up, why only one sheet of coro for 12 pigs? sorry I just am lost here. I have 10 pigs and used 2 full sheets to make their pen.
BTW you can roll coro slightly. It will be a big roll but then you can fit it into the back of an SUV. I taped mine together after I rolled it.

I suggest you tape the two pieces back for one full sheet and then you have a decent cage for starters.

I chose fleece for the $. the cost of shavings (even the Suncoast I get from a feed store) was way more than I had to spend. I invested in fleece and reuse it. If you go into the bedding area and read up, you will find all sorts of ways we all use fleece. I have made fleece pee pads to go under the sleeping/pigloo/bed areas. I do change them out daily and the entire cage weekly. I also change the litter box every other day. I use a layer of Yesterday's News and a layer of shavings. The litter box is under the two hay racks.

DSCF2892.jpg

DSCF2903.jpg

DSCF2906.jpg

Pa_piggies

Cavy Slave
Oh, sorry to make you worry about 12 piggies in one cage. I have 4 cages. I wanted more coroplast to add more room since I have a bossy pig and possibly another instigator. I thought maybe those two would be better by them selves for the time being. I have to check out some pricing for the next time I get coroplast, because on the finding coroplast section I now noticed that some people got it about an hour away from me for less than I paid.

rshevin

Cavy Slave
You know you can tape the chloroplast back together into one big sheet right? Piggies are really cool, they won't mind. If you tape underneath the fleece and on the outside of the edges, they won't chew on it.

piggiebun

Cavy Slave
Jdomans- I love your cage set up, really neat. Do you mind sending me some pics to take from?

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
You can always save your coroplast for something else and use fleece with a shower curtain. I actually liked that setup the best, but you have to be able to lift your cage to get under and clean it. You would just put a shower curtain down, then puppy pads or towels or whatever you use, then the fleece. When you put the cage on top the cage holds down the fleece and if you leave some overlapping you don't have to worry about poop on the floor.

rubies1883

Cavy Slave
Can someone help me? I am using fleece for the first time, with towels underneath, and it stinks SOOOO bad after about two days. (maybe a day and a half). What do i do??? :sick: :sick:

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Piggiebun, sorry I missed your post to me. I just PMd you.

Rubies, I say that you need to go through the bedding section adn read on fleece and what we all do. you may have to go back 12 or 13 pages to hit the really good threads.
#1 Make a litter pan under the hay rack. This catches a lot of pee. Pee is what smells. Also do as I have done. Make 'cushions' to go under pigloos, cuddle cups etc. and change them out daily. you should only have to do a full change once a week. I was too lazy at 6 this morning to change out beds but I will do it shortly. It is a daily event now. Also change the litter box to keep the ammonia down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.