Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Toilet Training

LindaC

Cavy Slave
I have a 5 x 2 lower level with a 2 x 2 upper level. Having read all the threads about the wonders of fleece, I went out and bought some from matalan and used it for the upper level - this is where the piggies sleep. Since putting the fleece up there though all three have decided that this area is their toilet, so they end up sleeping and pooing up there. I am hoovering up the poops 3, 4 and sometimes 5 times a day as I don't want them sleeping in it - yuk! As they wee up there too, I'm changing it daily and as a consequence find that I am getting through so many towels that my washing machine & tumble drier is on overdrive.

Does anyone have any ideas why the piggies are doing this? Should I move their beds downstairs? Make the upstairs smaller? I haven't got fleece on the lower level, just newspaper, Thorobed and good old Timothy.

Many thanks
Linda

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
The pigs probably find the fleece more comfortable to sleep on than the hay. If you lined the whole cage with fleece, they might start spreading out poop and wee areas instead of always using the loft. If you don't want to do this, you could put a few sheets of newspaper on the loft base and cover with fleece. This way you only have to shake poops off the fleece, change the newspaper once or twice a day and wash the piece of fleece (which dries quickly) every few days, instead of having to wash towels as well. I've taken my loft down now, but I found that because it was just a grid with sheets of paper on top (no Correx base) there was a good airflow and weed-on paper dried quickly.
Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

LindaC

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice, I'll do some experimenting and see how I get on.
Just out of curiosity, was there a particular reason you removed your loft?
I just love seeing the piggies running up and down their ramp and popcorning at the top....
cheers
Linda

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
I took my loft down because my guinea pigs weren't getting on very well, and removing it enabled me to change my 4 x 3 into a 5 x 3.5 (so they'd have more room) I liked my loft because it contained all the hay, but it was mostly the younger one who went up there so I didn't want Spike to be deprived of hay!
You live quite close to me (I just realised!) :)

Last edited:

thalestral

Cavy Slave
If piggies like fleece as much as they like vetbed then I bet they'd be very chuffed indeed to have the whole cage fitted out with it.

I believe it is possible to litter train them as well which might be handy for peeing if not poos (I'm not sure how much fleece smells after a while?).

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Maybe you could put a little tray in the corner with cat litter in there and maybe they will go in there like a cat would!
Real nice. I'm sure you know that cat litter is dangerous for guinea pigs yet you are willing to recommend it and put people's pets in danger. Not something a "responsible" person would ever do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.