Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Heres my cage!

jcarr492

Cavy Slave
I decided to go with a 2 grid by 2 grid because of spacing in my living room....theres not a lot of it until we move in december. After we get settled in our new home, I will be able to add the 3rd grids making each side 2 x 3 grids. But for now...this is enough space for Oscar and Lola to romp around in compared to what I temporarily had them in. After I put them in..they were so overjoyed and happy that they both ran around and popped all over the place! I won't have to cut the middles down either cause they were able to see each other just fine over the coroplast..they even sniffed each others noses and Oscar was "purring" all about. It was nice to see them so happy! My top didn't come out like I wanted though. I bought 2 closet shelf units and thought they would meet in the middle so I could cable tie them in the middle to make flip up lids..but for some reason..there was a space of about 7 inches so I had to add grids across the middle and tie them in to place. Any one know why? And I made the coroplast 29" x 29"...I hacksawed the connecters so that the coroplast would lay flush against the sides of the grids so there would be no space. My fingers and my thumbs hurt bad now from sawing, tying, connecting, cutting, scoring, folding, and taping!!!! Started at 10am and finished it all by 3pm...had to take diaper changing breaks, snack breaks and lunch break with my 20month old son. LOL. My back is killing me and so are my feet. Man..this was like doing manual labor!!! LOLOL

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I'm glad you are going to expand in a couple of months. That will do for now and I'm sure it has to be better then a normal petstore cage.

As far as the lid. I'm guessing that the shelves are only 12 inches deep. The grids are 14-15 inches so that would leave a gap of about 7 inches like you describe. To not have a gap you would have to go with shelves which are ~14-16 inches deep. You could fix it if you picked up one shelf that is 16 inches deep to replace one of the 12 inch ones. Maybe you can still return one or both of the shelves.

jcarr492

Cavy Slave
No, won't be able to return them as dh had to cut these down. They were 6ft long and too long. LOL. BUT thats okay, as if I go get the larger ones like you said, I can still use these either in our new home in the utility room or the storage building my dh is going to build for me. So they won't go useless at all. It didn't even dawn on me that there were different sized widths...I had my 3 kids with me that day and with all the complaining and whining going on..I just grabbed the 6' ones when i saw them. It will work out!

Also, There is no way I can afford to keep buying Aspen and Soft Sorb to fill these cages as is. Is there anything cheaper? I thought about fleece, but the lady I got these from told me that there are pellets used for horses I can get at the feed store to use for thier bedding? Anyone know what its called and what it runs price wise? She said she uses it for her long hair piggies because it doesn't get tangled in thier hair like shavings do. Its either that or I need to figure out how to trip up thier hair along the bottoms.

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
I think that what the lady was talking about is Woody Pet Pellets. They are pine pellets. You can also buy the ones for horses but I forget what the bag is called. I live in Canada and for a very large bag, 20kg, it is about $5.00.
I use this for my rabbit's litter boxes. I also put this bedding underneath the piggies water bottles to catch any drips.

I hope this helps. :)

jcarr492

Cavy Slave
Great, thanks for that info. Is this stuff okay to use for them? Obviously she uses them for all of thiers. They do rabbit and guinea pig shows and I got these from her as Oscar was one of their litter that wasn't "show quality" because of one marking..I really don't know the difference nor do I care..he's loved no matter what and Lola was given to her from another friend and she let me have her.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I don't know where you live but I buy a huge bag of Suncoast kiln-dried pine shavings from a feed store for $6.50 and you get 20 cu.ft. I use them for my chinchilla and the pig's litter box.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Get either wood stove pellets or something like Feline Pine. Don't get horse feed (pellets). The GPs would most likely eat it and cause an imbalance in their diet. Not to mention the grass and grains it is made from will mold quickly when wet (unlike wood pellets) and mold can kill small animals.

Breeders are well known for taking shortcuts and skimping on proper care to save money and time. Please don't get all of your info from breeders or petshops. This site is run by a rescue and the proper and superior care of GPs and other animals is our main concern. Questions can be asked here or on a forum called Guinea Lynx and we will give you great advice on care and I think we know all of the cheapest yet safe options available. Many here have to as they have 6 or more GPs and need to save all the money they can.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.