Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada where to buy good quality hay and pellets in BC

Naomi

Cavy Slave
for the life of me I can not find decent pellets or tim hay! it is so frustrating. I did contact OxBow but there shipping costs to up here cost more than the product I want! I am stuck using the pet store stuff I guess and I feel horrible for it.

Lydia

Cavy Slave
On Oxbow's website, if you check the International section, they list the realtors of their products throughout Canada. here's what it says for BC:

British Columbia

Vancouver Rabbit Rescue & Advocacy

P.O. Box 45039, Dunbar R.P.O
Vancouver, BC
Phone: 604-731-6026

Copied from their website at: (broken link removed)

I'm sure that if you contact them, they could put you in touch with some rabbit contacts in your area, and you could put together a group order to reduce shipping, or at least have suggestions for you which are more specific to your location... they are, afterall, a rabbit rescue, so they should have some good info.

Naomi

Cavy Slave
thanks I will try that

Piggiepen

Cavy Slave
You can order Oxbow products for the Canadian Pet Connection Online - Healthier Foods For Healthier Pets they are based in Ontario and shipping is more reasonable. I also just found out that my vet can also order in the Oxbow Cavy cuisine pellets so you might want to try asking your vet or another if they can order them for you. Have you tried the local feed stores for the Timothy hay??? I've seen signs up (on power poles!) as I drive around here in Surrey that somebody is selling Timothy hay. I'm going to phone and inquire about it because even if I have to buy a bale, it's gotta be better than the garbage Kaytee sells!

Naomi

Cavy Slave
I did try posting wanted ads for the hay and called all the pet shops and Bukerfields but no luck. I will go to the Canadian site and see whats up.
Thank-you

fairysari

Cavy Slave
If you can order online, Kleenmama pellets are great, worth the extra shipping to Canada. (broken link removed)
If you have to buy a pet store brand, look for Pet Valu pellets (although I think they may only have them in Eastern Canada) or Martin's Little Friends pellets. Both are comparable to the plain Mazuri that is the third choice after KM and Oxbow. Also, I think there is a member in BC who feeds Proform pellets. I am not sure where he gets them, but I think they are a good pellet too.

Naomi

Cavy Slave

Piggiepen

Cavy Slave
I forgot to tell you that I've already called the Vancouver Rabbit Rescue and although they do sell Oxbow pellets & hay, they do not ship or have on-line sales.

Naomi

Cavy Slave
thanks piggiepen.

Piggiepen

Cavy Slave
Naomi...I found a local (for me!) farm that sells 2nd cutting Washington Timothy hay for $15.50 per 95 pound bale!!!!! They are called: Vanderveen Hay Sales Ltd 604-576-1177 18726 56 Avenue, Surrey, BC.
I know it's a bit of a drive, but if you can't find a closer source, it might be worth the trip. (considering the pathetic bag I bought from Petsmart cost $18.99 for about 3 pounds of the crappiest hay I've ever seen!) I am going to split a bale with a friend here because it would be too much, but maybe you could find someone there to go half & half with you too.

Naomi

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I will keep it in mind :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.