Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What to put under the coroplast to make cubes stay?

Furyness15

Cavy Slave
I have a problem with making the cubes stay around the cage. I need something to put under my coroplast to make it stay. Do you have any ideas for things to put under the coroplast? It would be greatly appreciated.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Don't quiet understand the question? Are the grids coming loose from the connectors? Did you not make a bottom? I'm lost? We just finished building ours 2 weeks ago. If we can be of any help, let me know.

cornhill

Cavy Slave
Furyness15 said:
I have a problem with making the cubes stay around the cage. I need something to put under my coroplast to make it stay. Do you have any ideas for things to put under the coroplast? It would be greatly appreciated.
I made my whole cage with grids, even the floor, then I use plastic ties to tie corplast to the grids. Then I put carpet on top of that in their running cage.

Denise

Cavy Slave
We didn't need to attach the coroplast to the grids. It just sits in there so it can be removed for cleaning if needed.

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Some grids don't stay in the connectors well. I use cable ties to hold them together after I had the cage assembled. I think it just makes the whole cage more stable. I also don't worry if my kids bump the cage while petting that a grid will fall out.

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
Cable ties are the best option to secure the grids. If you are mentioning about keeping coroplast base attached to grids, well... I do not attach them together. I just put the coroplast base inside the grids cage.

Furyness15

Cavy Slave
Denise said:
Don't quiet understand the question? Are the grids coming loose from the connectors? Did you not make a bottom? I'm lost? We just finished building ours 2 weeks ago. If we can be of any help, let me know.
Well I put duck tape on the grids to make it stick to the coroplast because I didn't have a table or any room to put a table or anything else under it. And yes they are coming lose from the connectors and I am thinking about getting the connectors because alot of people say they really work. Did you put the grids in the cage or how did you fix it up?

Furyness15

Cavy Slave
cornhill said:
I made my whole cage with grids, even the floor, then I use plastic ties to tie corplast to the grids. Then I put carpet on top of that in their running cage.
When you tied the ties to the coroplast how did you do that?

Furyness15

Cavy Slave
NoVeil said:
Some grids don't stay in the connectors well. I use cable ties to hold them together after I had the cage assembled. I think it just makes the whole cage more stable. I also don't worry if my kids bump the cage while petting that a grid will fall out.
Thanks for the reply but I have one question. What did you put on the bottom of the cage?

Furyness15

Cavy Slave
kennethlhm said:
Cable ties are the best option to secure the grids. If you are mentioning about keeping coroplast base attached to grids, well... I do not attach them together. I just put the coroplast base inside the grids cage.
Do you put grids on the bottom to create a base? Then place the coroplast in the grids?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
You don't really need to put grids onto the bottom, the coroplast acts as a base, and you don't need to connect the coroplast to the cubes. You make a little rectangle box out of the coroplast, which you can lift out of the cubes for cleaning.

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I have two cages, both C&C. The smaller one, that sits directly on the floor, doesn't have anything under the coroplast. It is just the sides and the coroplast bottoms sits within the fence made by the cubes.

The larger cage sits up on two three drawer containers. There is a a section, one grid only, that is not supported by a three drawer container. I put grids under there for additional support for my peace of mind, it was fine without it. Even then, only half the cage has bottom grids and truly, they are redundant and there because they make me feel better.

If your cage is sitting on the floor, there is no need to put a bottom grid on it. Just make your sides and put the coroplast bottom in. Just lift out the coroplast as needed.

You asked how to tie coroplast to a grid, I did that on my upper level. I just used a hole punch to make a hole through the coroplast. Then I used a zip tie to put the coroplast to the grid.

Look in my photo gallery, you can see easier what I mean about where the cage is not supported.

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
Furyness15 said:
Do you put grids on the bottom to create a base? Then place the coroplast in the grids?
If you are putting on the floor then it is not neccessary to use grids as base. But I use grids as base too because I attached grids to the base as stands.

Furyness15

Cavy Slave
NoVeil said:
I have two cages, both C&C. The smaller one, that sits directly on the floor, doesn't have anything under the coroplast. It is just the sides and the coroplast bottoms sits within the fence made by the cubes.

The larger cage sits up on two three drawer containers. There is a a section, one grid only, that is not supported by a three drawer container. I put grids under there for additional support for my peace of mind, it was fine without it. Even then, only half the cage has bottom grids and truly, they are redundant and there because they make me feel better.

If your cage is sitting on the floor, there is no need to put a bottom grid on it. Just make your sides and put the coroplast bottom in. Just lift out the coroplast as needed.

You asked how to tie coroplast to a grid, I did that on my upper level. I just used a hole punch to make a hole through the coroplast. Then I used a zip tie to put the coroplast to the grid.

Look in my photo gallery, you can see easier what I mean about where the cage is not supported.
I saw your pictures. Thanks. But I've never seen those steps made of a pencil box. How did you do that?

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I put directions and pictures up at

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.