Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Cage Plans (I hope)

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I have it all worked out in my mind and on paper. Just need to convince my mom.

I know it will be kind of smaller and an awful lot different to what they are used to (the four pigs are in a 3 level 2x4 with various sections added/removed - it's a complicated affair!) but I feel it will be much easier to work with if I can get my plans into action. It is getting very tough to clean the current cage out now and I really don't like the thought of Charlie and Lottie jumping around so much to get from one place to another, now they are nearly seniors.

I can *just* fit a 2x6 in my room. Absolute maximum. I will need to sacrifice another one or two pieces of furniture, and it will be a tight squeeze, but you do what you've gotta do. I can add a 1x2 (or 2x2) loft onto one end. A 2x6 is minimum for four pigs so it just fits the guidelines, and the loft will be useful either for hay (if a 2x2) or a simple look-out space (if a 1x2).

Does this sound okay? I want the pigs back in my bedroom now as opposed to their current residence of 4 months downstairs in the dining room, and it would be the perfect time to redesign the cage. If the cage stays downstairs, it can't go any larger than a 2x4.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I have a 2X6 for my 4 without any sort of loft, and they do great. It will definitely take some getting used to on everyone's part, but having them back with you in your room will be worth it. And you can always go up again later if you want to.

littlebear

Cavy Slave
I think your pigs will be just fine in a new cage there will be more running space for them annd a loft is not required so it should work fine.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Laura, do a 1 x6 loft and that will free up the bottom floor and you will feel better. Make the loft the kitchen/potty area. A 2 by loft will make it hard to reach under to get to the corners of the bottom level. You can compromise a bit and bend the grids like I did for my loft and it is a 1 + a couple of inches x 6.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
The great news: the pigs will be back in my room soon.
The best news: They're getting a 2 level 2x6!

The basic cage plan is to have a full 2x6 on top, with the bottom level being a 2x3 on one half and the other 2x3 section as storage. I already know I can work the 2x3 on the bottom floor - it won't be easy-peasy but it will be loads easier than what I have to deal with now.
We just need correx, cable ties and at least a couple of days to actually do this, so it might be a couple of months even before it gets done. Hopefully before Christmas it will be sorted.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
How fabulous! With what you deal with now, that bit of 2 x 3 will be a breeze.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Tell me about it! I'm just glad to be getting the 2x6 part, it was my mum who suggested the second level with storage. I will scan the plans I've drawn up so you get a better idea of how it should look.

wolfie

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you got is sorted out. It sounds heavenly- for you and your pigs!

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Sounds like a good plan. When it was just CC, Smores, Nugget and Hercules I had them in a 2x6 with a 2x2 loft and they loved it.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Hmmm, I am re-designing right now. What I had on paper won't work in practice, I may use some of these ideas. I like the grid bending solution - that could work!

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
If the 2x6 is difficult to fit, you may want to try a 3x4 instead. It's the same square footage, but a bit more compact. :)

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
It sounds like it will look like one my more recent cages. The bottom was really easy to clean, I didn't need any support or ramps because it was a seperate cage so I could just pull the coroplast right out to clean. I'm sure your pigs will have a blast in it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.