Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Doors

Emmett

Cavy Slave
I am going to build a shelving unit to hold 3, 6 x 2 grid cages. I believe I know what I'm doing regarding the wood shelving, grids and coroplast but am not sure regarding the doors. I want the complete front to open up so all the bedding can be swept out at once. How do I do this? By the way I'm building this for a pet supply store who has quit selling live animals but has some really old boars who need better cages. I want their last years of life to be better than living in tiny cages. I got the 2 x 4s for free and all it will cost the store is the coroplast and grids. I found colored grids on clearance at Shopko for $10.00 a box and the coroplast is only $12.00 for a 4 by 8 foot sheet. The owner can't seem to get what the cages are going to look like in her head but she's excited about seeing the piggies in better cages.

littlebear

Cavy Slave
so your going to put the cages on shelving. If you are covering the cage with grids just use zip ties on the front and dont zip tie to crids so you have a lovely opening door!. You would just need a clip or something to keep it shut.

Emmett

Cavy Slave
I am going to put the coroplast on top of the shelving and not use grids on the bottom. For the top shelf I was thinking of attaching the grid doors to the wood bottom with u shaped fencing nails. That way the door will hang down when opened. But I don't know how easy it will be to clean the cages using that method. I could attach the doors of the second and third cages to the shelves above them so they would open from the bottom. Maybe when I'll have a better idea once I get the shelving done. I first need to take all the old nails out of the 2 by 4s.

wolfie

Cavy Slave
We just built our first cccage (2 x 4) and did something similar to what you are planning. Our cage is on top of a thick piece of plywood. There are no grids on the bottom, just the coroplast tray. My husband drilled small holes (one inside and one outside) the grids all around the sides and back. Then we used cable ties to anchor the cage to the plywood. I think staples would be much easier!

Since we wanted a fold-up type of door, we did not anchor the front grids. We cable tied them to each other, except for the middle two. For that connection we use bull dog clamps. When we want to clean or more easily get the boys, all we have to do is unclamp and fold back the grids. We can even use the bull dog clamps to keep the folded grids stable. I love having the door- it makes everything much easier! Hope this helps!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.