Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Users... Materials

faithwatcher

Cavy Slave
Hi, first let me introduce myself. My name is Stephanie, I have 3 guinea pigs, Ally and Libby (sows) and Peppy (neutered boar). I'm trying to make a two-story C&C cage but finding the materials where I am (in the UK) is turning out to be almost as much trouble as it could possible be worth!

I've checked the list of places other users have found materials and found this site (broken link removed) for coroplast. I've ordered 3 sheets, but now I'm wondering if I should cancel that order. The correx (that's what they call it in the product search) they sell is ribbed, it has dips that go the length of the board all the way across, and I'm starting to think it would be a hassle to cut, and maybe even moreso to clean. Also wondering if it will hurt the pig's feet, even though it will of course be covered in hay and bedding.

Can anyone let me know if I should cancel this order and continue in the search for coroplast that is NOT ribbed? Please let me know asap.

Thanks,

Steph

BTW, if anyone owns any of the cubes they're not in need of and is willing to ship the UK, we'd be thrilled to buy them. Can't find those anywhere in the UK, either.

Last edited:

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hiya. I live in the UK too, and I got my cubes from Poundstretcher. Well, I checked out the site and all I can find is corriboard. Is that what you were looking at? If it is, it seems fine. Correx is meant to have flutes running down its length. If you go to the find materials link on the cavy cages first page, it gives you some more places to find cubes.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Ok.. this is the link to that page. (broken link removed) please work, please work!

faithwatcher

Cavy Slave
Thanks, finally managed to get some stuff that will do. Homebase didn't have the cubes but they had PVC coated wire mesh which is meant for making outdoor rabbit cages. We also found some flooring there, though it's not coroplast.

What a day!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I gave up on the coroplast, so I opted for very thick linoleum instead, that was left over from our bathroom. Well done on finding your materials!

Tamarin47

Cavy Slave
Hi. I'm new too. I've had 3 guinea pigs for just over a week now and i've been looking all over for these cages. I'm starting to doubt theire existence. Anyway. I'm going to go to poundstreacher tonight after work and if they don't have any i'll be very annoyed. How long ago did you buy yours from poundstreacher? And do you have any other suggestions incase they don't have any. I have looked on the find materials page so you don't need to suggest that one.

Thanks.

/ john

p.s. here's a pic of my pigs: (broken link removed)

faithwatcher

Cavy Slave
Tamarin47 said:
Hi. I'm new too. I've had 3 guinea pigs for just over a week now and i've been looking all over for these cages. I'm starting to doubt theire existence. Anyway. I'm going to go to poundstreacher tonight after work and if they don't have any i'll be very annoyed. How long ago did you buy yours from poundstreacher? And do you have any other suggestions incase they don't have any. I have looked on the find materials page so you don't need to suggest that one.

Thanks.

/ john

p.s. here's a pic of my pigs: (broken link removed)
The materials are almost impossible to find. I've given up completely on the cubes. Half the stores don't know what they are or act stupid about it, the other half either 'doesn't stock them anymore' or 'just ran out'. The problem is, most stores have them some of the time, but NONE of the stores have them in stock all the time.
I went to homebase and got PVC coated wire mesh which is meant for making cages. If they hadn't had that, I would have bought chicken wire. I don't really care what people say about chicken wire, as long as it's not being used for the bottom of the cage (ie, the piggies feet won't be on it), I don't think using it for the edges would hurt a damn thing. If someone else wants to do it 'right', they're welcome to come to Swansea and try, that's my opinion lol.

Anyway, I hope you find something that works, but if I were you, I'd give up on those stupid cube things. Only American stores still stock them, and its WAY too expensive to have them shipped here.

Good luck :)

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hi. Did you have any luck with the cubes Tamarin? In poundstretcher, they call them home organizer cubes, and the lady said that they stock them on and off. I got mine in April, so fingers crossed they are still there! Darn, there is a website that has cubes, but they are a little pricey. Something like £25. I can't remember the e mail address! As soon as I remember, I'll tell you! Your piggies are adorable, especially the self black!

Tamarin47

Cavy Slave
I didn't make it to pound stretcher because my car took a turn for the worse on the way back from work. I then tried walking to the place, couldn't find it and got stuck in the torrential rain. I'm going to try again tomorrow.

I did find a British web site that sells the cubes them but they're £35. If I can’t find any soon I’m going to buy some grid-type-things that I’ve seen in Home Base. They're for putting on a work top so you can put hot pans 'n stuff on it. They're 3 quid for about a foot and a half so I figured about £20 will build a pretty big perimeter.

Treen

Cavy Slave
I've listed all the UK sources people have told me about on this page (broken link removed) - it's just really hit and miss getting them over here now though, I really wish Littlewoods/ Index had kept on selling them.

Tamarin47

Cavy Slave
Nice site. I've just gone and bought a set of 20 grids online from Monarch Direct for £35. Such a rip off but i can't be faffed driving around to every shop that might sell them only to find out that they don't. So now i have about 5 days to find some corex. Shouldn't be too hard and it's not like corex is the only thing i can use.

Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to post some pics when it's all built 'n' stuff.

/ john

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hm.. I was going to opt for monarch direct to, but then I thought £35 is way too much, so I did drive around. But well done for even getting hold of them! I think correx is a little easier to find that the cubes. Good luck with the new cage!

Tamarin47

Cavy Slave
My cubes finally came yesterday and my corex is being delivered tomorrow. It was £10 + £12.50 carriage for an 8ft by 4ft piece. I’ve designed my cage to fit around furniture and so is 3x3 grids with one of the corners inverted. This will give me the same floor space as a 2x4 grid setup. Do you think that this design will give them enough room to run around and play or do you think it needs to be longer? I have till tomorrow afternoon to make my mind up so any comments or advice would be great.

Thanks

/ john

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Um, since you have three piggies it is under the requirements, but I think it will be fine. I'm so glad you found the materials =). I know how hard it can be! I've built a cage very similar to that, just a tad bigger.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Ok, if you want to have that size cage that's fine. 3x3 grids=12.25 sq ft, well over the suggested minimum of 10.5 square feet. The grid measurements are just the closest to what is required, and the are all 2x_. The 3x3 should work fine! You can also add an upper level if you want, to increase living space a bit. Whatever you do, it is still a TON better than any pet store cage. Glad you found the materials, and don't forget to post some pictures!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.