PDA

View Full Version : Any other Germans?

sannie
08-13-04, 01:29 pm
Hi, are there any other Germans around ??

Kpup28
08-16-04, 01:18 pm
I've never been to Germany but I know I am half German (my mother is German, my father is 1/2 Polish 1/2 italian)

sannie
08-16-04, 04:17 pm
I've never been to Germany but I know I am half German (my mother is German, my father is 1/2 Polish 1/2 italian)
Well, partly German at leat :-)
I don't have any piggies yet either... when are you planning to get some?

Kpup28
08-19-04, 12:28 pm
Well, partly German at least :-)
I don't have any piggies yet either... when are you planning to get some?
ChadWPB posted a website on page two of the thread "Is it really bad to get a guinea pig from a petstore?" Its a shelter in Durham, CT that is only a hour and a half drive away from where I live! I checked it out and found a pair of cavies that I fell in love with. I'm going to e-mail the shelter and ask about their adoption! :)

sannie
08-19-04, 12:30 pm
Kpup28,

that's awesome! Good luck!

ChadWPB
08-19-04, 01:43 pm
Which pigs, kpup?

Kpup28
08-19-04, 01:45 pm
Hershey and Reeses :)

ChadWPB
08-19-04, 02:23 pm
Cute piggies! Hershey's going to have long hair like my Amee. He's going to need plenty of grooming and butt baths. Good luck!

The_boys
09-29-04, 07:25 am
I'm not German but do live in Germany.

I think our guinea pigs, meerschwein in German, speak German because they don't whistle like my guinea pig did in the US.

I've been looking for cloroplast here but can't even find a sign shop. If the airlines will transport a sheet at a reasonable price, I'll buy some in the US when we go 'home' for Christmas. Or, we could drive to England and buy a sheet. Of course, it makes an expensive cage when we add in travel, crossing the channel, and hotel.

Does anyone have any other ideas for a cage bottom besides linoleum?

cinn&sprinslave
09-29-04, 12:27 pm
I'm not German but do live in Germany.

I think our guinea pigs, meerschwein in German, speak German because they don't whistle like my guinea pig did in the US.

I've been looking for cloroplast here but can't even find a sign shop. If the airlines will transport a sheet at a reasonable price, I'll buy some in the US when we go 'home' for Christmas. Or, we could drive to England and buy a sheet. Of course, it makes an expensive cage when we add in travel, crossing the channel, and hotel.

Does anyone have any other ideas for a cage bottom besides linoleum?Some people use this with rabbits that are little box trained "Foam Board" usually sold at a local craft store. You would have line the cage with newpaper everytime you changed the cage and eventually have to get new "Foam Boards" every three months or so.
Or use plastic under the bed storage containers, and have like three sitting right next to each other. They make pretty big ones, just yeterday I saw one that was 20 in wide x 40 in long. They aren't very good substitutes to coroplast but they may work.

If you were to use under the bed storage containers you could cut holes in them so the pigs could pass from one storage container to the next.

*Just a note* all of my piggs live in C&C cages so don't freak out and think that I keep them in petstore cages or plastic storage containers.

cinn&sprinslave
09-29-04, 02:32 pm
[QUOTE=cinn&sprinslave]Some people use this with rabbits that are little box trained "Foam Board" usually sold at a local craft store. You would have line the cage with newpaper everytime you changed the cage and eventually have to get new "Foam Boards" every three months or so.
Or use plastic under the bed storage containers, and have like three sitting right next to each other. They make pretty big ones, just yeterday I saw one that was 20 in wide x 40 in long. They aren't very good substitutes to coroplast but they may work.

If you were to use under the bed storage containers you could cut holes in them so the pigs could pass from one storage container to the next.

*Just a note* all of my piggs live in C&C cages so don't freak out and think that I keep them in petstore cages or plastic storage containers.[/QUOTE

Oh and the storage containers I saw were only 6 in. high not those ones that are like 20in high.

Teria
01-10-05, 08:13 am
I've been browsing through this forum for a couple of weeks and finally decided to register. So yes, I'm German, and I'm here.

yantara
01-18-05, 04:26 am
Hi,

I'm also a German. I life near Stuttgart.
Yesterday I found this forum and logged in.
I have 6 male guniea pigs at the moment... ;-)

PS: Sorry... I have to improve my english. Sorry for any mistakes... ;-)

A4PigHome
01-25-05, 12:09 pm
Guten Tag!

I am not German, but I spent 2 weeks in southern Germany last fall. My husband and I loved it so much! We started out in Munich's Oktoberfest, then travelled by train and spent a few days in the Black Forest, then to Rothenburg, then Berchtesgaden, then a few days at Salzburg Austria, finally ending up in beautiful Mittenwald. Bavaria and the Black Forest/Rhine River area were incredible! And everyone was so nice to us over there. We want to go back so bad, but the plane tickets cost so much. Hopefully in 5-10 years we will be able to afford it again.

We wanted to give our new guinea pigs German names, but our kids wouldn't let us. They are still not happy that we left them for 2 weeks, although they were spoiled rotten by their grandmother.

Teria
01-25-05, 05:40 pm
*L* Looks like you really saw all the good places in the south. I personally hate the Oktoberfest but the Black Forest and Rothenburg and Berchtesgaden are really beautiful places. I'm glad you liked it, and that you were made welcome. :)

What kind of German names would you have chosen?

dagwellismypigy
01-25-05, 06:23 pm
This may be a little random, but I'm learning to speak German. Does that count?

Teria
01-25-05, 06:45 pm
Definitely. *G*

dagwellismypigy
01-25-05, 07:18 pm
wooh! im a member of the german club now YAY

A4PigHome
01-25-05, 09:07 pm
*L* Looks like you really saw all the good places in the south. I personally hate the Oktoberfest but the Black Forest and Rothenburg and Berchtesgaden are really beautiful places. I'm glad you liked it, and that you were made welcome. :)

What kind of German names would you have chosen?
Well, we probably would have named them after places we saw and stayed at because most of the people we got to know were women (we have 4 male guineas). The only man we really got to know well was named Max. He and his wife, Gudrun, live in Titisee. Where do you live, Teria? Are guinea pigs popular in Germany? The only place we stayed at that had pets was in Titisee and they had goats (the "lawn mowers").

A lot of Germans we spoke to were not big fans of the Oktoberfest, or at least they tried to avoid it. We enjoyed the beer there, but didn't have too much because we wanted to see more of Munich that evening, and it's pretty hard to see Munich when your eyes won't focus. :)

Teria
01-26-05, 02:40 am
So true. *G*

I live near Bonn, in a very small village where it's nice and quiet. We have a huge garden, and I'm very much looking forward to introducing my two piggies to REAL grass in the spring.

Guinea pigs are quite popular here. I'm a member of three GP Forums, and we have many rescuers and an immense number of piggy pages on the Internet. I've spent the last three weeks by checking one site after another for a third piggy to adopt - or so was my pretense while happily watching hundreds of cute photos. *G*

And I'm really glad that these sites exist. I bought my first GP way back in 1986 when I moved to Bonn (named him Beethoven of course), and I would have needed some good advice. As it was, I think he could have been happier if I had only known more about guinea pigs. You simply don't find all the necessary information in the books - at least you didn't find it there in 1986. I made several stupid mistakes. But Ioved him dearly, and I still miss him.

The best photo I have is this:

http://www.innenwelten-verlag.de/Galerie/Haustiere/Bilder/beethoven01.jpg

It doesn't show much of him though. :(

Here's another one:

http://www.innenwelten-verlag.de/Galerie/Haustiere/Bilder/beethoven02.jpg

He's trying to seduce little Attila whom I had bought as a friend for him. Sadly, the romance didn't work, mainly because they were both males. :(

Right now, I'm considering travelling to Kiel to see if I can buy C&C cubes there.

A4PigHome
01-26-05, 09:21 pm
Your guinea pig was so adorable. He looks a lot like one of mine, Buster (named after a Koala on a children's show). I sure chuckled about the "romance" problem between the two males! Mine are all suppose to be males. Hopefully they are or I'll be making another big c&c cage!

That's so neat that they have guinea rescuers in Germany too. Yet another wonderful thing about your country! Are you from there? I see Bonn is in the NW part of the country. We never made it any farther north than Frankfurt, but we'd love to be able to see the northern section too.

Good luck on your search for the c&c cubes.

Teria
01-27-05, 02:27 am
Your guinea pig was so adorable. He looks a lot like one of mine, Buster (named after a Koala on a children's show). I sure chuckled about the "romance" problem between the two males! It did work for a while but even though none of them ever got near a female, they both went crazy one day and attacked each other so viciously that I had to separate them. I still have the scar in my thumb - man, did that little guy have one set of sharp teeth. He let go the instant he realized it was me and not some enemy but that was a second too late. Ouch.

That's so neat that they have guinea rescuers in Germany too. Yet another wonderful thing about your country! Are you from there? I see Bonn is in the NW part of the country. We never made it any farther north than Frankfurt, but we'd love to be able to see the northern section too. I'm a crazy mixture from several places - all german though, so rather boring. *G*
If you ever come to Germany again, make sure you travel along the river Rhine where you find dozens of pretty castle ruins and nice little villages. Further up north, the country is mainly flat, and you're in the Netherlands and Belgium in no time. *G* I sound like a tourist board.

Good luck on your search for the c&c cubes. Thank you! I'm now almost decided on travelling to Kiel (which is in the North) to buy them since I want a third GP (neutered male for my two ladies) and need a bigger cage. Not that I have the slightest amount of space but I've set my heart on those cages. Bad C&C forum. *GG*

sabine1964
09-28-05, 05:19 am
Hello. I am part German, but born and raised in USA. My 2 lady pigs and I arrived here in August of 2005. My husband and I will be here for at least 3 years. I am currently learning German. Since arriving I have found hay and somewhat acceptable pellets, but still looking for good quality supplies and cubes! Any suggestions? Do you have GP picnics or rescues here?

:optimist:
I hope so! Can you give me any info?

Funnygpigs
10-01-05, 10:15 pm
Hey, are you military? What part did you move to? I lived in Germany for two years. I loved it! I was in BadKreuznach (its about 50 miles from Frankfurt). I did learn some of the language while I was there, but I have forgoten allot of it. It has been about 6 years since I was there. Well hope you enjoy your stay there!:D
Hello. I am part German, but born and raised in USA. My 2 lady pigs and I arrived here in August of 2005. My husband and I will be here for at least 3 years. I am currently learning German. Since arriving I have found hay and somewhat acceptable pellets, but still looking for good quality supplies and cubes! Any suggestions? Do you have GP picnics or rescues here?

:optimist:
I hope so! Can you give me any info?

sabine1964
10-03-05, 09:21 pm
Hi Funnypigs! Thanks for the good wishes, I love it here, too. My husband was hired as a DOD Contractor. He does low voltage electrical for the local bases. So we're military, but not. lol I am very near Stuttgart. We live in a cool little town, Steinenbronn. Stuttgart is having their Cannstatter Volksfest right now. Oldest Beer Festival in Germany. We hope to go this week or weekend if the weather cooperates. We're having a rainy spell. When the weather is good, the girls can have floor time on our balcony. They have such a good time out there. :heart: Where are you at now? Still in the service? Hope they're treating you well!

A4PigHome
10-04-05, 08:51 am
Oh, I am so jealous! We were in Germany exactly one year ago and miss it so much! We backpacked around the southern third for 2 weeks. I miss the views, the good food, and the beer. ;) We traveled via their wonderful train system and stayed at a variety of places. We hit an Oktoberfest celebration at a local restaurant last week, but it just wasn't quite the same.

Teria
10-07-05, 05:17 pm
You're not serious. You have an Oktoberfest in Minnesota?? Wow. *G*

Hi Sabine, herzlich willkommen in Deutschland (welcome to Germany)! :)

A4PigHome
10-11-05, 07:14 am
There are a bunch of Oktoberfests in MN and at least one really big one in Wisconsin. There may be one in North Dakota too.

A lot of the German immigrants came to this area in the mid 1800's to early 1900's. After being in southern Germany, I'd have to say one reason is because the land and climate are similar. My stepfather's grandparents settled in central Minnesota and they were from Germany...northern parts, I believe. His last name is Kragenbring.

My husband and I were just talking about going to an Oktoberfest tomorrow evening for supper. Due to a medical test, he won't be able to eat on Thursday, so he wanted to go somewhere with lots of good food the night before. Of course we will have some of the Oktoberfest beer, but it's not the same as what we had normally in Germany. The Oktoberfest beer is from Germany, but is darker and slightly fruity. I prefer the clear light-colored beer I had in southern Germany.

Teria
10-11-05, 09:27 am
Well, even with the "wrong" beer, I wish you lots of fun! :)

Funnygpigs
10-17-05, 12:27 pm
Oh, no I have been out for 4 years now! I am in washington now. This is my home state. I lived in BK for 2 years, and went to Oktober fest twice. Of course, I dont remember it! --hahaha, to much beer! I have never seen such a crowded place! I try to describe it to people, and they think I am nuts! I had to hold hands and push my way throught the crowds to get from point A to point B. The whol grounds was like one big mosh-pit! I am glad that I did that when I was younger, I sure would not do it now! hehe

I loved Germany, and got to visit allot of other countries! I visited Amsterdam, but dont remember much of that either lol!

The only thing that I missed about the US (besides family), was the conveniance we have here. Everything is open all the time, and you can find anything you want. In Germany, everything opend at like 10am and closes at 4pm. It was crazy! Good for the workers though!;)

Hi Funnypigs! Thanks for the good wishes, I love it here, too. My husband was hired as a DOD Contractor. He does low voltage electrical for the local bases. So we're military, but not. I am very near Stuttgart. We live in a cool little town, Steinenbronn. Stuttgart is having their Cannstatter Volksfest right now. Oldest Beer Festival in Germany. We hope to go this week or weekend if the weather cooperates. We're having a rainy spell. When the weather is good, the girls can have floor time on our balcony. They have such a good time out there. :heart: Where are you at now? Still in the service? Hope they're treating you well!

CaliGirl
10-20-05, 07:03 pm
How about Swiss? I was born in switzerland and lived there for 5 years :)

henni
08-23-06, 10:11 am
´hey i'm from germany too!
bis bald (see you later)

MeerieSandra
08-23-06, 04:25 pm
Yes... here here:D

Bin dir aus dem Meerschweinforum gefolgt und finde es super:p

Percy's Mom
08-23-06, 05:06 pm
If you want to speak to each other in German, which is perfectly understandable, please do it in private messages. In public posting, please post only in English to the best of your ability. Thank you.

DanaScully
08-24-06, 03:52 am
Hi,
another German, who don't like the Oktoberfest. But I like to her you talking about our country. Germans have a very low opinion of them selfes. Often they are complaining and thinking that other countries were better. But we seem to be all right....:D

I am from the southwest of Germany.

Nice to meet you all here.

*Magu*
08-25-06, 02:28 am
I was born in Germany (and was living there until I was about 19), so I thought I'd add a few words ;).

I agree, DanaScully, the Germans really don't have much of a self-esteem, which is rubbish though as most people who I have spoken to and who have visited Germany always go on about what a wonderful country it is (I agree!). Well, obviously, that "misperception" comes -as least partly- from the Germans' Nazi past. But still, everywhere I go (I have lived in France and in the UK), people complain and think it's better somewhere else, so it must be human somehow!! Strange, isn't it?

moonajune
08-25-06, 02:53 am
Hey,

I am German too. Live near Frankfurt am Main.
I have 3 Piggys. Mommy, daughter and Stepson :-)

hlover100
01-10-07, 08:09 pm
Hi, I'm a German. Not full blooded, but I'm a German. I've got one adorable guinea pig named Yuki (it's Japanese) and I'm trying for another.

sweetjay6891
01-11-07, 02:38 pm
Well, my Father is half German half Basque, and my Mom is half German and half Scottish. So I do have alot of German in me! Ive never been but It would be nice to go where your ansestors lived.

I have two guineas. Oko(Silver Agouti Broken White) and Hamilton (Red and White Long Hair Abby mix) Oko is 4 years old and Hamilton is 2 years old.

Schneeflöckli
05-20-07, 10:28 am
Here I'm from Switzerland. I was in the US two times and in Canada 3 times over holiday. I love both countries even I don't like the US government, but that's not important for loving the country;)

Lg Annina

GermanGirl
04-24-08, 12:45 pm
Hello!
I am a German, too. I live near Kassel, in the middle of Germany.
Bye Sandra

lisa!
05-04-09, 06:26 am
Hey!

My name is Lisa, I'm from Germany too - living near Frankfurt.
I'm searching for this C&C Cages here in Germany, but without success :weepy:
Any advices?

Best regards!

BerryXChoco
05-05-09, 05:46 am
I'm form Germany too =)
And i want one of those great C&C cages! :sad: but there's absolutely no shop which sells them in Germany ...

Ich bin auch von Deutschland =)
Und ich möchte auch einen von diesen tollen C&C cages! :sad: aber es gibt absolut keinen Laden, der die in Deutschland anbietet ...