Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello, Newbie here

Cavies2B3

Cavy Slave
Hi, I am in the process of adopting 3 piggies. They are for the whole family to enjoy, not just for my 3 daughters, 2 of which are older and are interested in them also. My other daughter is 2 and even though she is gentle I will keep her a safe distance away from the pigs for a few more years. I make it a point to adopt animals rather than buy, all of my dogs I have ever owned have been rescues, and cats, and guinea pigs that I had about 20 years ago ( I had 6 of them- 10 in my life time - soon to be more!!!) I have always liked these little guys and can't wait to teach my kids about their individual quirks and how to tell when they want something and all those funny popcorn moments. I have probably done SO many book reports during my school years as a kid about guinea pigs my teachers probably were really well educated on them also! Now I am 29 with kids of my own and I have decided I miss having them around and found some at a shelter/rescue that needed a home. I wish I had room for all of them but sadly I don't. I have access to good hay and alfalfa cubes because of my horse I have to keep at my mothers house at the moment-where we live now is only 1/2 acre- she has 5 acres and kinda bought the horse for herself to begin with but now has degerative vertebrae and can't ride so he's turned into my horse, but thats getting off topic I guess. I am looking forward to updating my education on these little guys I am sure so much has changed in the past years that I haven't had them. I also am purchasing a 2x4 C & C cage with them and I already have a 2x4 cage & a 2x3 cage and a 6 ft playpen for outdoors I also bought a big bag of Mazuri Guinea pig food and a big bale of pine shavings for litter( I know never to use Cedar) I stay at home with my 2 yr old daughter so I will be able to give lots of attention and floor time- obviously since I have a 2 yr old I have plenty of baby gates and will be able to keep her away from the piggies yet she will still be able to see them and interact through the gate(s) and since my house is baby proofed that means I have all wires and things of that sort already gathered up and blocked off so I think we are good to go...:eek:ptimist:

Trega

Cavy Slave
Hey I'm glad you joined the forum. Just remember only kiln-dried pine, not regular pine for bedding.

Cavies2B3

Cavy Slave
Yup it says kiln dried on the package. Thanks for the tip though.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
And stop feeding alphalfa after 6 months of age. Feed timothy hay or another similar type, i.e. orchard, at all times.

Welcome to the forums :). And it's really great to see that you're already informed about adopting. What a great example to set for your kids.

Cavies2B3

Cavy Slave
Yeah my horse has timothy hay and alphalfa Cubes, for the pigs I was planning on using the hay for free choice and the cubes once in a while for a treat to nibble.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the group. I feed my pigs local coastal Bermuda hay that I get either from my daughter's barn or the local feed store.
As far as the 2 year old goes, my granddaughter turned two this past June and she adores my pigs. she sits on the sofa with a blanket and I give her a pig one at a time. The main thing with her is the excitement that come from her voice in forms of shrills and yells. I have to remind her to shh!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.