Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Dying Gerbil

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
My oldest gerbil, 4-plus-year-old Einstein (I adopted him at 'around' three, and I've had him around a year, so he's at least 4, maybe older), is dying. We don't know what of. I noticed he was losing weight, though he seemed to be eating fine and acting as active as usual. I read the earlier thread about someone wondering if theirs was dying, and checked his teeth - they're fine. He's taken a turn for the worse today though - when I got home he was off in the corner by himself, shivering. I wrapped him in a soft sock and put him in a little box and called the vet. As soon as I said how old he was, he said to not even bother bringing him in - he's just old and probably won't last another day.

This vet is truly useless sometimes, but he's probably right. I can't stand watching him suffer though. I've made him as comfortable as I think possible, and though he won't eat, he'll take drips of water from my fingers. My SO is off work tomorrow, and so will take water duty/death watch for me. Is there anything else we should be doing? I know from when I panicked when the piggies started coughing, the other vets around here are even more useless when it comes to rodents, but I'm wondering if it might be best if I have him humanely put to sleep if he's not gone by tomorrow. It makes me sad to think about, but it makes me even more sad to see the shivering little sock that just yesterday was merrily pushing all of his bedding from one side of the cage to the other in an effort to hoard all the food for himself.

Bummer day :(

honeypanda

Cavy Slave
Hopefully you'll get more replies, since I have no real info. I'm the one who had the "dying" gerbil with the tooth problems. (And even though he's better, he still sleeps a lot more than he used to, so I'm not sure he's out of the woods yet.) It doesn't sound like your gerbil is in pain, so you can take some comfort in that. I think it's harder on you than it is on him.

There's no easy way around it, it just sucks.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
That's disgusting for a vet to say that! Can't you ring up another vet?

I can't think of anything else to say except keep him warm and comfy and just keep trying with the water, perhaps some pureed dry food sludge or veggies?

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
Just to update y'all: I finally just took him to my vet, who of course, couldn't really do anything for him. He actually gave me some stuff called a 'starter' or something, which is apparently often used when small animals are under a lot of stress and need a little boost. All it seemed to be doing was prolonging his pain (he seemed to go blind the next day, his shaking got even worse, and he squealed in pain whenever I picked him up), so I tossed it and just made him as comfortable as possible, bringing the water to him every few hours, and feeding him soft fruits so he didn't have to move. He died within a week after stopping the meds... but it took more than a week for him to die, where the vet said he'd be gone within a day :(

The vet didn't charge me anything for the visit or the meds though, which was rather nice of him.

The problem now though - Einstein's sons have been squabbling since he died - they respected his dominance and even helped to take care of him right 'til the end (I decided it was best to keep them all together, and was amazed to discover they apparently care for their sick... they dug out a nest for him, ignored 'his' fruits and veggies, and wrapped themselves around him at night) - but now it seems they're vying for dominance. It's been over a week, and they're still constantly wrestling and fighting over food (even with two bowls... one will immediately bury both and guard them jealously). I don't know very much about gerbils, but I *assume* they'll eventually work it out? There's been no bloodshed, but they can get rather loud at times.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.