PDA

View Full Version : general question

mtaylor33557
10-02-06, 12:59 pm
I'm a new cavy mom and quickly realized my girls need more space. The problem is I don't have much room for a big cage..right now, I've combined two petstore cages (The large cage with ramp and the average "litter box" sized cage) to make a temporary cage.. but I don't want to use it for very long.. does anyone have any space saving reccomendations. Also, I'm going to build the cage myself, so any advice on that would be appreciated as well!

JarBax
10-02-06, 02:12 pm
The best place to look for inspiration is in the galleries; http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/index.php

Here is a link to the best advice on building your cage:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

mtaylor33557
10-02-06, 02:18 pm
Thanks.. I've been looking at some of the pictures and honestly can't wait to start building. Also I've been using aspen bedding, but I've noticed that not many of the cages in the gallery use shavings. What would the best bedding be?

JarBax
10-02-06, 02:24 pm
Check out the bedding section: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding-hay/

A lot of us use fleece, if you read through some of the threads, you will get a good idea of the pros and cons.

standuprookie
10-02-06, 09:11 pm
I also use aspen, I tryed fleece in a section of my cage and it just didn't work for me. ( the sweeping and washing ) The pigs liked it, so sometimes I leave a small fleece blanket in there for them to nap on.

Ly&Pigs
10-03-06, 12:25 pm
Creative furniture rearrangement can help find space to put a cage.

mtaylor33557
10-09-06, 11:07 am
Hey. I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice.

I built my two girls a new cage over the weekend. Its a purple 2 by 4 with a 1 by 2 loft. They really seem to like it and it looks so much cuter in my living room than the temporary cage did.

However, they tend to run and hide alot when I enter the room. Should I put them in a lower traffic area, or will they eventually get used to everything.

PiggieMom
10-09-06, 11:13 am
They'll eventually get used to you all being around. My pigs are in my study with me, where I am all day, and they are slowly getting used to me being in "their room".

jdomans
10-09-06, 12:51 pm
We would love to see pics of the purple cage!! With two pigs you should find the shavings are very easy to scoop out with a dust pan etc. I changed to fleece because of the size of my cage and the cost of keeping shavings in it! Also putting a litter box under the hay rack will help with keeping the pee more in one spot and less all over! Ha Ha

My pigs are in the dining/living room so they don't miss a thing.

mtaylor33557
10-09-06, 12:55 pm
I'll post pictures as soon as I can upload some.

I am currently using the shavings but I have some fleece baby blankets the same color as the grids that I just got and plan on trying out.

Thanks for the litter box tip!!

wickedrodent
10-09-06, 01:08 pm
Your cage sounds cute.. purple grids? Where did you find them? Sounds adorable!

Our room is a purple Pirate theme, so naturally I have purple fleece (walgreens has huge 90in x 60in fleece blankets for only $8!) and I am planning on getting purple coroplast.. but we ended up buying black grids.

mtaylor33557
10-09-06, 01:18 pm
I actually had to order the grids online from Walmart. None of my local stores carried them.

I got my blankets on clearance for 50 cent each !!

My bottom is actually not coroplast yet, I created a bottom out of a heavy duty shower curtian liner until I can make the trip to get the coroplast.

It still looks nice in my opinion though.

wickedrodent
10-09-06, 01:38 pm
Thats what I have done with mine.. I used a shower curtain for the bottom until I can get up to my uncles work (he works at a place that sells coroplast) Its funny though, I have everything all ready and set to go, and I don't even have any pig yet lol Just wishful thinking I guess... :heart: