Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

fleece alternative?

trimom

Cavy Slave
I am using a 3-layer system for my cage: crib pads, then towels, then fleece. I like the system, but the hair and hay bits on the fleece are driving me crazy. I typically shake out the fleece, then use a sticky pet hair roller on it, then wash it in the washing machine. Some hair still stays on through all that, and even after the dryer. Does anyone have success in using a non-fleece fabric for their top layer? Something like a thin quilted fabric like you would find in the fabric store in the baby section? A woven cotton or cotton-poly blend with the thin quilting? Or any other suggestions?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The thing with fleece is that it wicks moisture to the underlayers. If you put another material or substitute another material for the fleece that doesn't wick, then you will just end up with wet bedding and wet and smelly pigs.

SandyF

Cavy Slave
Exactly -- other materials will just act like a giant sponge, keeping the moisture at the surface rather than drawing it down away from the pigs. That's the beauty of fleece.

Are you using just a plain, low-pile fleece, or is it something fuzzier like Berber? The "regular" stuff works best for me. I reallly don't have much of a problem with hay or hair, but I sometimes use a whisk brush on it when I shake it out.

trimom

Cavy Slave
I'm using just regular fleece. I have one short-haired pig. Seems to shed in cycles. The last couple of weeks were brutal with the shedding. Seems to have tapered off now.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
If you put a cup of vinegar into the rinse water it will help repell the hair from the fleece.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
The only fabric I can think of that wicks moisture, besides fleece, is that polypropylene that athletic clothes are sometimes made of. You know, like Nike Dri-fit? I think something like that would work too, although you'd probably have to look in specialty fabric shops for it, and it is probably expensive.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
That would be extremely expensive. An under armor shirt is around $30, image getting a sheet of it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.