Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Howdy :)

alive

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm a first time guinea pig owner. I have two guinea pigs at the moment named Mimi and well we havnt named the other one. I have them in a basically a 3 by 3 grid with a 1 by 2 grid loft type thing. I'll try and post some pictures soon. :)

Hi there! A three by three, grid cage eh? Seems quite odd...and with a loft? I don't know much about the whole guinea appropriate sized cage thing yet...but the site says a 2x4 grid cage for two guineas. I don't know, measurements and stuff just don't sound rite to me, but maybe it's ok, I don't know. Well, anyways, welcome, and I know that you will find this site to be useful lol I certainly have, and my guineas are happy as ever.

A three by three is just fine for two guinea pigs. It is also just big enough for three, when I only had 3 piggers I had a 3 by 3 grid cage and it worked wonderfully.
How old are your girls? what colors are they? I just love hearing about other peoples piggers, lol.

Welcome!

A 3x3 is almost the same amount of sqft as a 2x4 so it is alright for two pigs. Actually a 3x3 is bigger... a 2x4 is 10.8sqft and a 3x3 is 12.25sqft

Hm...that makes me want to build a 3x3, that is definetly happening in the very near future!

Keep in mind that a 3x3 can make it harder to catch your GPs and clean the cage. With a 2 grid wide you have a 28 inch reach across. With a 3 grid wide it becomes a 42 inch strech. You would practically have to get into the cage to catch one of the GPs.

I'm not saying that a 3x3 is a bad idea. Just be certain to think it through.

Hi, and welcome! Your cage sounds almost exactly like mine will end up! I just built the bottom level yesterday, and am letting the girls adjust before I add on the "loft." Mine is basically a 3 x 3, but with an extra 1 x 2 on one side ~ I call it the "breakfast nook" and the ramp will also go there. I don't have trouble catching my piggers, either ~ Hennessee loves to be held and to be out, and Diamond is still adjusting as we just got her on Monday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! It's wonderful that you have a nice large cage. But catching your piggies will be dreadfully hard. If you have any spare grids, make a 1x1 square, and carefully close your pigs in it. This is what I do with my 3x4, because reaching to the other end it almost impossible. I have to get on my knees.

I never had any trouble with my 3x3. Maybe it's because I am tallish, I'm about 5 ft 9. I now have a 2x6 which is easier to catch the piggers in, but it really wasn't that hard to get them in the 3x3 either.

I used to have a 3x3 cage for my boars, they loved the wide space, it kept their hidey houses from getting in the way when they "re-arranged their furniture." But I hated getting them out and cleaning it. Their cage is on a table, so I had to stand on a chair to reach them in the back corner, and of course they soon figured out if they went to the farthest corner in the cage, I couldn't reach them. lol I have them in a 2x6 now and love it.

thank you for the welcoming ^^ i did experince a little difficutly at first cleaning the cage but i got a broom to reach the corners so its all working all great. and i just grab the carpet on the ramp and vaume it. hehe. For the grabbing them to take them out.... well i just grab then when there under the ramp. hehe im sneaky like that. im hoping in time they'll adjust and want to come out for floor time instead of having to be forced :)

both of my guinea pigs are brown and white. the short haired one is named mrs. nubbins (friend named her) and the other one is still going between the name momo and kyri. we cant come to a dicision here. the one we cant decide on has a natural mohawk and i think thats the main reason i got her. also because she was alone and look terrified to death. i'll post pictures soon :)

Another thing that might help you catch them is the non-broom end of a broom, I always used to use that to kind of herd the piggers into their hidey houses or somewhere else where it was easy to catch them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.