Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay storage

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Well, after three hours of driving yesterday (we got very very lost and it was chucking down with rain), I finally got my bale of hay! Its absolutely huge and it smells gorgeous. The whole garage and car smells of it. The lady at the farm told me that it was ok to store it in nothing. I just had to make sure it wasn't on the concrete. So, I've got it propped up on two small stools, but in nothing (i.e. a cardboard box or container). Do you think that this is fine? Do I need to put it in anything. Thanks!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
anybody....

Treen

Cavy Slave
Hay is supposed to be stored exposed to air in a dry environment, so that sounds fine provided the garage isn't damp and you don't have a problem with mice or rats. If you want to put it in something because it makes it easier for you (for example if you'll need to move it about a little and don't want it to shed everywhere), use a wooden or cardboard box, but leave it open so it stays fresh for longer. It also lasts better if you store it in as big a quantity as possible so keeping the bale whole and just taking off what you need is ideal.

Glad you found the place anyway - shame about it taking so long! I do hope we've seen the last of the rain - hasn't it been miserable?!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
The weather's been absolutely awful! Raining in the middle of August? I'm really happy that I found the bale as well. The nightmare journey was worth it! I think I'll just leave it how it is. We don't really use the garage that much, so its not a problem. Thanks!

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
When my current supply runs out, I plan on buying a bale as well. However, when I mentioned this to my mom (who lived on a ranch), she was full of tales of spontaneous combustion in hay. She tends to run on the doom and gloom side of life but I searched on the internet and found this article discussing how hay can spontaneously burst into flames. It's worth keeping in mind.

(broken link removed)
In particular, watch out for a "slight caramel odor or a distinct musty smell" which could indicate that your hay is overheating.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
wow, thanks for the link. Well, considering our weather, my garage usually stays cold, so I'm hoping that it does not overheat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.