Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

JDOMANS RE Tifton Hays

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I was reading over the website you posted, and saw about the Tifton 85.
It sounds like an even better hay than 44, have you happened to try any of it? If so, how does it look, do your piggies like it?
I can get the 44 all around my home (all the farmers grow it here), but i dont recall ever hearing of anyone having the 85. Im going to have to check into it! :) It might be worth it to even have it shipped in from GA, if its a better hay. hmmmm *pondering*
Im wishing my FIL still had his hay bailer----Id plant and cut my own Tifton 85 then LOL

Tifton 85 bermudagrass is the latest release from the USDA program in Tifton. It has excep-tional yield and produces high quality grazing and hay. Tifton 85 was released in 1992 as a highly digestible hybrid cross of Tifton 68 and an introduction from South Africa. It has larger stems and broader leaves than most other bermudagrasses. Its large rhizomes and stolons spread rapidly and, under good growing conditions, may grow 2 to 3 inches a day. Hay yields and digesti-bility are considerably better than Coastal, Tifton 44 and Tifton 78 hybrid bermudagrass. Tifton 85 is not as cold tolerant as Coastal and is best adapted to the Coastal Plain region. Although Tifton 85 might survive most winters in the Piedmont region, a severe winter would severely damage stands.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Sorry it took me so long to see this!! I just get the local Coastal Bemuda from either my daughter or the feedstore. I ran out and got some gorgeous hay from the feedstore. Katy is an hour away and I was deparate. I will continue this now and not bother her.

I will try to ask Twila what kind of hay it is next time I buy from her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.