PDA

View Full Version : stain and odor removers

loves2travel
08-10-04, 03:02 am
i dont have a gp, hut i'm trying to prepare...

if my gp pees during floor time (which is on carpet) does anyone have suggestions for good stain remover. also, what is a good odor remover?

cinn&sprinslave
08-12-04, 12:19 pm
i dont have a gp, hut i'm trying to prepare...

if my gp pees during floor time (which is on carpet) does anyone have suggestions for good stain remover. also, what is a good odor remover?

"Advantage" works quite well got at Fred Meyer
or "Pet Stain and Odor Remover" got at Joanns (a sewing store)
Or you can get one from Petco
called "Simple Solution, Pet Stain & Odor Remover"
Those ones are the best, we have a ton of different ones because we have a ton of animals, not just piggies.

LiciaMommycott
08-13-04, 02:33 pm
Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover is a good product for neutralizing odors. It's sold at pet stores as well as online pet supply sites like http://ferretstore.com (free shipping over $35)

cinn&sprinslave
08-13-04, 03:46 pm
"Advantage" works quite well got at Fred Meyer
or "Pet Stain and Odor Remover" got at Joanns (a sewing store)
Or you can get one from Petco
called "Simple Solution, Pet Stain & Odor Remover"
Those ones are the best, we have a ton of different ones because we have a ton of animals, not just piggies.

Forgot to tell you the "Advantage" cleaner not the flea and tick stuff lol

GuineaTV
10-10-04, 10:00 pm
I nominate "Nature's Miracle" as well, but it will be much easier on you (I speak from experience) if you get something to put down over your carpeting, like a big shower curtain or extra carpet.

loves2travel
10-10-04, 10:09 pm
thanks everyone! i just got an odor absorbing gel to keep by the cage

cinn&sprinslave
10-11-04, 03:23 pm
thanks everyone! i just got an odor absorbing gel to keep by the cage

Oh what kind of smell did you get? I have one Ocean Breeze and one Citrus Orange one! And I forget the others!

Piglet
10-11-04, 03:29 pm
Why don't you lay something down to prevent the urine soaking into the carpet?

loves2travel
10-11-04, 04:22 pm
Oh what kind of smell did you get? I have one Ocean Breeze and one Citrus Orange one! And I forget the others!
orange citrus, thats the only flavor they had when i went!

cinn&sprinslave
10-11-04, 04:43 pm
orange citrus, thats the only flavor they had when i went!

Oh! Well don't they smell great???

loves2travel
10-11-04, 04:51 pm
they sure do!

loves2travel
10-17-04, 06:12 pm
wow! the odor absorbing gel i bought works AMAZING! all my pellets are stored in a small little, dark cupboard with no ventilation or air flow. for a while, it was smelling strongly of a petting zoo. everytime i opened the door, i was blasted into a goat famr. LOL. after putting the gel in, i smell absolutely NOTHING, and just a faint, subtle hint of citrus. its FANTASTIC!

cinn&sprinslave
10-17-04, 10:07 pm
wow! the odor absorbing gel i bought works AMAZING! all my pellets are stored in a small little, dark cupboard with no ventilation or air flow. for a while, it was smelling strongly of a petting zoo. everytime i opened the door, i was blasted into a goat famr. LOL. after putting the gel in, i smell absolutely NOTHING, and just a faint, subtle hint of citrus. its FANTASTIC!
Awesome! I don't mind the smell of hay or pellets unless the hay and pellets are dirty from being in the cage or something. lol anyways glad the odor absorbing gel worked out.

loves2travel
10-18-04, 04:34 pm
its not that i minded the smell, it was just strong. LOL. not anymore, though!

cinn&sprinslave
10-18-04, 04:48 pm
its not that i minded the smell, it was just strong. LOL. not anymore, though!

lol! Glad it doesn't smell strongly!

loves2travel
10-18-04, 04:48 pm
LOL.yeah, its nice to know for the future when ill have the pigs!

AngelsCavies
10-18-04, 04:49 pm
I do have a question about smell. When I go near the girls their urine smells like rubbing alcahol sorry cant spell anymore. and the boys are fine. Can anyone tell me what I can do about the smell. I just cleaned their cage 4 days ago. I clean all of the cages about every 3 to 4 weeks.

loves2travel
10-18-04, 04:52 pm
I clean all of the cages about every 3 to 4 weeks.

what?!?!?!?!??!?!!? even for a 20x20 C&C cage, that is not enough!

how big is the cage?

AngelsCavies
10-18-04, 05:00 pm
the girls cage is a 3x4 and the boys is a 2x4 cage and they both have a 1x2 second level.

loves2travel
10-18-04, 05:04 pm
im sorry. i really dont think its acceptable that the cages go uncleaned for up to ONE WHOLE MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loves2travel
10-18-04, 05:11 pm
by the way, the rubbing alchohol smell might come from the vinegar you cleaned the cage with. but i have no clue. anyhow, i saw your pictures, and your cage is very big. but still, you should probably change it more often.

AngelsCavies
10-18-04, 09:35 pm
I don't use vinegar and water. i got the pet oder spray from my parents and they work just as great as the vinegar and water. It wont hurt any animals including the piggies

Erin8607
10-18-04, 09:44 pm
Instead of letting the pigs have floor time directly on the carpet, lay down a plastic table cloth with a layer of fleece or other washable material over top. Put a large cube pen around the area, put some interesting toys and tunnels around and let the pigs explore. When done, roll up the fleece, shake it outside and throw it in the wash. No messy carpet.

AngelsCavies
10-18-04, 09:52 pm
I have an old fleece blanket that I use for thier play time. They dont even play with toys when they have playtime at all. because they are all to excited to see eachother and popcorning all over the place.

AngelsCavies
10-18-04, 09:54 pm
My husband and I are gonna clean it every 2 weeks and see how it works and everytime we get our paycheck we will get 2 or three bags of bedding and piggie food too everyother week. That way we can just stock up and incase our winter weather gets bad this year and cant get to the store at all.

liluqt
10-18-04, 11:44 pm
Um, I don't either unless they poop one yule log and an ounce of pee everyday. If that's the case, you have some mutant guinea pigs and I'd like a clone. Mine are pooping factories as all pigs should be. I clean their cages once a week and even that's hardly enough.

liluqt
10-19-04, 12:18 am
Lol, sorry that was in response to the approval of cleaning every 3-4 weeks

Um, I don't either unless they poop one yule log and an ounce of pee everyday. If that's the case, you have some mutant guinea pigs and I'd like a clone. Mine are pooping factories as all pigs should be. I clean their cages once a week and even that's hardly enough.

Cocoa Puff
10-24-04, 08:49 pm
Lovetotravel what kind of absorbing gel do yo use?

loves2travel
10-24-04, 09:15 pm
Natural Magic Odor Absoring Gel

mncavylover
10-26-04, 04:54 pm
lilqt, how many pigs and in what size cage? How much bedding do you use (how many inches)? All those factor in.

liluqt
10-26-04, 06:53 pm
MN, that post was written a day before we built their C&C cages when they each lived in separate store bought cages. So naturally, the pooped overwhelmed the tiny cages! But now my 3 pigs live in a 6x3ish C&C cage. So much better :) We have about 2 inches of bedding in there. Newspaper lining, aspen and then carefresh on top.

mncavylover
10-26-04, 07:11 pm
Oh, I thought that was the case!

The bedding is great, that's the best combo in my humble opinion. Way to go! I bet that's much better, isn't it?

loves2travel
10-26-04, 07:20 pm
liluqt, wow! youve got one pretty big cage!

liluqt
10-26-04, 07:40 pm
MN, thank you :) If I could afford to use all carefresh like I used to on their separate cages, I would, but it's definately not in the budget anymore! I agree, this combination does work really well, but I'm beginning to think that my boyfriend is allergic to the aspen, however. When we poured it out, it was a bit dusty (we bought kaytee aspen). I may air it all out outside before using it now. It's great because they have more room to lap around when they're not out for floortime and I don't have to chase after them on the carpet with my stain remover constantly!

Loves2, we had to make it that big because the 3 pigs can't live together! So we had to divide it into 3. Unfortunately, my 3 boys can't learn to get along :P If I let two of them interact directly, they just mount each other and release a foul odor (hormones, perhaps?) It's a very pungent smell.. and we usually have to evacuate the humans out of the basement when it happens and open all windows and doors, lol. I had bought cans of air spray to use, but I stopped because I was afraid that the chemicals may harm the pigs.

mncavylover
10-26-04, 08:22 pm
Actually that is just the normal dominance behavior. Have you let them finish? They may live together quite happily after they are done. It's much better if they could!

GuineasGalore
10-26-04, 09:48 pm
clean every week or 4 days! =:0

The four week people are crazy, heck if you didn't clean your bathroom for four weeks i would smell too.

loves2travel
10-26-04, 10:05 pm
i know! i have to have my bathroom cleaned every week! but since i found out that the piggies would be having floor time in the bathroom, i bought a pet safe all natural spray for the floor.

liluqt
10-26-04, 10:06 pm
MN, we haven't actually ever let them finish duking it out. We've always been afraid to.. for the longest time, we thought maybe one of the pigs was female because of all of the "mounting" and thrusting that was going on if you know what I mean... so what could potentially happen after they're done mounting? We were frustrated at first because we brought home 3 pigs at once for social purposes and all they did was swing their backends, grumble and mount each other. If they could learn to get along, that'd be great! Then I could take out the separating walls and they'd all have much more space to run around. But as of now, I have each of their 3 sections intersecting so that they can still communicate amongst themselves and see each other.

GuineasGalore, we don't believe in the 4 week deal either :) I hate seeing piggies roam around in their own filth. They're always so much happier when you clean out their cage. Mine start popcorning!

AngelsCavies
10-26-04, 10:10 pm
Mine starts popcorning when they get their cages cleaned.

liluqt
10-26-04, 10:12 pm
We usually have a bowl of vinegar and water mixed together lying on the floor while we're cleaning the cages.. and usually the pigs are out on the floor zipping around. One has a tendency to drink out of the bowl with vinegar!! We've caught him a few times. I can't believe it. Does anybody else's pig enjoy vinegar?!

mncavylover
10-27-04, 05:39 pm
See www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm (http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm) for more info about introductions, that helps a lot!

liluqt
10-27-04, 09:56 pm
Wow MN. That is some interesting and detailed information! Too bad it doesn't say anything about introducing three separate pigs at once :) I guess all of the signs I've been seeing are the normal safe dominant behaviors.. I will definately have to try letting possibly two of them interact together first, figure out the heirarchy and then toss in the third pig. I suppose I could do all 3 at once.. but I'm not sure how that will turn out.. possibly just the same. That page is right.. i always stop my pigs before I get worried too soon. Thanks! At least we knew to give them all a common barrier in their cage so that they can still see each other!

liluqt
10-28-04, 01:23 pm
Okay.. so I tried letting two of the pigs interact with each other and I don't think it's going to work. They circled, growled and mounted each other for about 25 minutes and later on, there was some extreme chattering and lunging at each other. So I pulled them apart. The saga continues with my 3 pigs who think they're all dominant :P

mncavylover
10-30-04, 02:23 pm
I think that is normal behavior. Just let them be for a couple of hours and see what happens. Take a chunk of time out and this may save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

liluqt
10-30-04, 09:07 pm
I guess... do you think I should socialize all 3 at once? Because while I tried socializing the 2 pigs, the 3rd one just looked on from behind his grid. None of them are of the same age.. there's an obvious younger, middle and older pig.. do you think there's an order to socializing?

alhadie
11-02-04, 04:30 am
I'd say pair up the 2 more dominant ones first then try the least dominant probably the youngest one. But it's hard to tell. All 3 together may just be a confusing mess as they all try to get straight who's boss. You should be able to at least get 2 to get along. I've seen lunging a few times but it generally is the end of the disagreement and so long as it doesn't continually get worse it's ok to leave them together. Especially if one goes off wheeking then comes back again. If they both lunge it's worse than if someone cries and backs off. It means 1 is ready to give up. So long as the attacks are breaking up right away not just escalating with noone backing down it's ok. They may still have small arguments for days (or weeks with my latest 2 females) but after awhile they usually decide on the house rules.

Cleaning once a month is for my hamster cage lol. They drink less than 1ounce of water a day. The gps... My boyfriend is allergic to all wood shavings of any kind and carefresh is so expensive. I just went to using fleece blankets/flannel sheets and a small vacuum. It costs me a little electricity and water to keep it clean instead of $3/bag and it takes 3 bags for the 4'x2' tempory pen the pregnant females are in(blankets might be messy for giving birth). The blankets get vacuumed 1-2times a day and washed about once a week. The 2 girls get their pen cleaned completely weekly and major pee spots removed every other day. Guinea pigs are not a good pet for the cash short. My dwarf hamsters only cost me about $1 a week but I don't want to know the cost of all the guinea pigs.

mncavylover
11-02-04, 04:37 pm
Right, guinea pigs are harder than dogs or cats. Most people have no idea what they're getting into.

loves2travel
11-07-04, 12:19 am
yea, when i first decided on guinea pigs, i was shocked to see how expensive they were. but there is a lot of things you can do to cut the costs. fleece! I use it, and I love it, but for me, its a bit easier i suppose. its only been one day but my girls have marked out a clear spot to do all their business, they potty trained themselves. smart piggies!

mncavylover
11-07-04, 02:15 pm
Yes, there are certainly ways to cut costs. You just don't want to compromise safety and all though, so make sure your cost-cutting strategies are safe! I'm sure yours, are, l2t, just want to clarify.

loves2travel
11-09-04, 09:40 pm
well, my girls LOVE floor time, ive been giving it to them for about three hours a day so far, and they are wheeking and chirping the whole time. they absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

today, i made a trail of romaine lettuce that started under a tunnel and led into my lap. they followed the trail, crawled right into my lap, then slept there. it was sooo cute. then I picked them up and they snuggled under my chin. it was adorable!

mncavylover
11-10-04, 05:13 pm
Very cute! I'm glad they're having such a good time.