Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Central Florida?

shortlilcutie

Cavy Slave
Anyone in the central florida area looking to find a home for their piggy? I'm looking for a buddy for my piggy....I need a male...preferebly young/or baby. I'm in orlando...does anyone know breeders in this area? THANKS!

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
If you haven't realized, this is NOT a breeder friendly site. Breeders only propogate the overpopulation of guinea pigs. DO NOT get a pig from a breeder.

I know of a great rescue in Gainesville, a little further to the north. Rescues adopt out pigs only when they're healthy. I've adopted three pigs (two for us, one for MIL) from this rescue, I can highly recommend it!

(broken link removed)
Look at their adoptable piggies.

shortlilcutie

Cavy Slave
ChadWPB said:
If you haven't realized, this is NOT a breeder friendly site. Breeders only propogate the overpopulation of guinea pigs. DO NOT get a pig from a breeder.

I know of a great rescue in Gainesville, a little further to the north. Rescues adopt out pigs only when they're healthy. I've adopted three pigs (two for us, one for MIL) from this rescue, I can highly recommend it!

(broken link removed)
Look at their adoptable piggies.
well obviously I didn't know this site is not breeder friendly or I wouldn't have asked the question. I've looked for pigs to adopt but they never have a male when I'm looking for one. thanks for your reply

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
You can look at www.petfinder.com, (broken link removed) (look in classifieds and for shelters in your area), and you can look on google for " guinea pig rescue florida" or something. Good luck! =)

shortlilcutie

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
You can look at www.petfinder.com, (broken link removed) (look in classifieds and for shelters in your area), and you can look on google for " guinea pig rescue florida" or something. Good luck! =)
thanks...i've tried that but I guess i'm going to just have to keep looking...thanks for the tip!

Furyness15

Cavy Slave
shortlilcutie said:
thanks...i've tried that but I guess i'm going to just have to keep looking...thanks for the tip!
When I was looking for guinea pigs to adopt I couldn't find any in central Florida. So I looked on the internet and found some at the Pinellas County Humane Society. They are only like $5 but I don't know if they have them any more. I think I got the site from www.petfinder.com. Hope this helps!

Jess1ca

Cavy Slave
Wow! I can't believe you can't find any down there! I live in Northwest FL and when i searched for rescues i could only find them in South/Central FL. weird!

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
The St. Pete SPCA had LOTS of piggies for adoption, last I checked. I'm hoping to get up there this weekend to adopt one (maybe two! I wonder how they'd feel if I took Hee up there to see how they'd get along..). They have boys and girls of all ages, and all very lovely... I wish 'Prince' hadn't been adopted already!

linky: (broken link removed)

Good luck! :)

fawnmarie

Cavy Slave
spoonyspork said:
The St. Pete SPCA had LOTS of piggies for adoption, last I checked. I'm hoping to get up there this weekend to adopt one (maybe two! I wonder how they'd feel if I took Hee up there to see how they'd get along..). They have boys and girls of all ages, and all very lovely... I wish 'Prince' hadn't been adopted already!

linky: (broken link removed)

Good luck! :)
Yep - last I looked they had a little fella named Jack up for adoption at the Pinellas shelter. They have an excellent reputation, btw. Adoption fee for GP's is $5 there. We were going to adopt him as a companion to our existing piggie, but we found someone looking to rehome in Sarasota.

There are piggie rescues in Florida, but they seem to be devoid of piggies! There is one in Gainesville, and I think one in Central Florida. However, the one is central FL only has one piggie (and a puppy) right now, and I think she's a girl.

Try pinellas - and definitely try Petfinder.org. You may have to travel, but luckily piggies are regular road warriors and car travel well.

Fawn

fawnmarie

Cavy Slave
Sorry - duplicate post

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.