Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Some pictures of my Parakeets

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
After recently losing my parakeet L'uccello, Cuddles was acting very depressed. We found him another buddy, Carmine. After clipping their wings today, I let them out for some fun time and took some pictures.
Cuddles is the mostly green one and Carmine's the mostly blue one.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
And a picture of L'uccello. RIP little man.

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
They are so beautiful. How are they getting along? Are they what we call Budgie birds? Thats what they look like to me, or are they a totally different breed than a budgie?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
They are getting along great. Carmine has been quiet since we got him, but today he was much more vocal. They are also called Budgies. There is another breed called an English Budgie, which has a slightly different appearance, but most often when people are reffering to a Budgie, they are also refferring to a Parakeet.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Awww they are very cute, I am sorry about your loss. But glad to see your bird has a buddy and is happy.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
I love parakeets! I'm glad to hear all are adjusting well.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
We bought them a little parakeet jungle gym today. I spent forever putting it together. They spent about a total of 3 minutes on there, then decided chasing eachother around the room was more fun. lol

spudster
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

TabithaTwitchit

Cavy Slave
Awww! The blue one is so cute!

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
I have a question, how do you clip bird wings?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
It's hard to explain in words, but I'll do my best. I have someone hold them upside down with gardening gloves (they will nip you) so you can easily see any blood feathers. I cut along the natural curve of the wing. Before they are clipped, you will see longer feathers sticking out from the conture of the wing. Those are the ones you cut. I use regular human nail scissors. You want to be sure you don't cut a feather with a bloodline in it. If you look down the vein in the very middle of the wing, you will see if there's blood in the vein or not. If it's hard to tell, shining a light underneath will help. If you do accidentally clip the bloodline, just like with pigs, quik stop or flour/cornstarch will work to stop the bleeding.

I had a local pet store that runs a rescue with small animals and birds do it the first few times for me. After watching, I picked it up and was able to do it myself.

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
Budgies are actually Budgerigars, a species originally found in the deserts of Australia. Budgerigar is an aboriginal word meaning "good cockatoo" a cockatoo being another Australian bird. In other countries budgies are often called parakeets, i have no idea what that derives from, they'll always be budgies to me.

The English budgie is a larger bird, generally bought and bred for show purposes. The smaller sleeker budgie, is often called an American parakeet, it only resembles its native countreparts in size and shape. The native budgie is green, often smaller, with a shorter life span.

They're gorgeous, I love Carmine

Emma

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh your birds are beautiful! I would love to have some parakeets but I have allergies to the feathers and dander. My brother has 2 Cockatiels and they are hilarious. One of them dances when you whistle to her.

Thank you for sharing those pictures. They look so soft and pretty.

Lynn

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
Wow, they are beautiful!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I'll have to take some more when I take them out for exercise time today. I've been working with them to teach them to say "Pretty Birdies" and they're slowly making progress. They recognize me when I say it and start to make little gurgle sounds.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Here's a few more from play time today. I have some cute videos I'll load up later, too.

Cuddles

Having some romaine

Messy green beaks. Silly birdies.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Lounging around

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
In spanish, at least here in PR, they are called pericos/periquitos ( sounds like pair-ee-cuss/pair-ee-kee-toss). I had one and a friend cut its wings just like he cut the ones of his own birds, but when I took it outside it flew straight up, higher than a 3 story house near here and flew away to the mountains! I was so shocked and sad.

gp_kat

Cavy Slave
Beautiful! Look like this other type of bird my friend had.

Squigglepiggle

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hello fourbwabbys! I have two parakeets aswell. Doodles and Sunny, on the forum you recently joined you will see pics of them =]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.