Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Anyone know anything about Hedge-Hogs??

meandanimals
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
Once a week you can give a mealworm, cricket, or silkworm. You can buy them in the reptile section. Some like to give small pieces of fruit, but that isn't really part of a hedgehogs diet. They are insectavors.

meandanimals

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
you might want to pm Lydia because she is a hedgehog expert :)

Lydia

Cavy Slave
Im going to be making a C&C cage for hedge-hogs which I will be getting soon. I wanted a 2 story cage made rom coroplast and the wire squares. Where do I get ramps, or how do you make them?

Does anyone know anything about feeding hedge-hogs. I know basically what they eat but can you catch beetles, spiders, etc and give it to them??

What do they like?

Any information will help! What do they like to play with?

PLEASE HELP! Thanks

Augh - NOOOO!!!! Never ever ever ever ever catch wild insects and feed them to your hedgehog! Yes - they are insectivores, but African Pygmy Hedgehogs (ie - the ones kept as pets in North America) are a specially bred combination of hedgies such that you need to be VERY careful as to what you feed them.

Hedgehogs should NOT be fed petstore-style "hedgehog" foods as they are lacking in nutrients. They need a very carefully balanced diet of high-quality cat foods, with the following qualities... in order to assess these qualities in the dry cat food kibble you purchase, look at the ingredient labels and nutritional content analysis for the following things:

Protein: as high/close to 30% as possible
Fat: as low as possible (6% - 14% maximum)

Some examples of good brands of food to feed your hedgie are: "Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Light", "Royal Canin Slim 37 or 38", and the 'light' or 'low-fat' cat foods manufactured by the following producers: Natural Balance, Solid Gold & Wellness.

Pet foods sold in grocery stores or department stores are generally low quality. Actual meats (i.e. chicken, lamb, beef) should be the first five ingredients listed; not corn gluten or other fillers. Do your best to find the combination of high protein, low fat and quality ingredients; preferably from one of the preferred manufacturers, listed above.

You can give small amounts of the following 2-4/week: veggies (cooked peas, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, and raw, rinsed and diced green pepper); fruits (banana, apple slices, watermelon, blueberries, cranberries, kiwi)and occasional small servings of plain organic yogout, cottage cheese, hard-boiled eggs. When hedgies are sick, or as an occasional snakc, feed them baby foods of plain meats (ie turkey) or fruits or vegetables... not the pasta or rice combination ones. NEVER feed a hedgie any of the following: chocolate, onion, nuts, raisins, misc. human junk food.... they can be very dangerous if not lethal! The most important point is NO WILD INSECTS!!! It's good to supplement their diet with some mealworms, crickets, etc., which you can easily buy freeze-dried in the reptile section of most pet-supply stores. Ensure that you aren't feeding too many, though, because they are very fatty and that's an issue to watch for as well.

Hedgies should be fed a MAX of 1-2 tablespoons of dry kibble a day. They are very prone to gaining weight and numerous associated complications, which come with it. Exercise is KEY! Your hedgie needs a large C&C cage for as much room as possible, as well as a safe, large, solid-surface wheel. The type we use is similar to this: (broken link removed)

We have 4 hedgies and each of them have a base area of 2x3, with an upper level of 1x2. Our hedgies are all males and as such, each must live seperately. Hedgies are not like cavies in this regard; males will attack and even kill each other - never worth the risk!

As for upper levels; hedgies can be seriously injured or killed from falling; they have poor depth perception. As such, any upper level must have a well-constructed 'fence' to ensure that they don't fall, as well as an enclosed ramp, or one with high sides. We use Super Pet bubble-wave ferret fun-nels ((broken link removed)), zap-strapped to the C&C grates above the upper and lower levels.

IMPORTANT: Second levels never compensate for first... always have the largest main-floor possible.

Hedgies poo like crazy, and when they're running. Give them a large 'litter-box' area around and under their wheel, and you will contain the majority of the poo.

As for toys; it depends on the hedgie. Almost every hedgie I've ever heard of will first and foremost always love his/her wheel above all else. They will wheel for 4-8 hours a night, which is why quietly operating ones (like the bucket-wheel style ones I linked to above) are most peoples' favourite choice.

Fun places to hide often come second; hedgie bags, kleenex boxes with openings cut into them (no rough or sharp edges), pop can boxes, cereal boxes, etc all work well since you can toss them when they get icky! Pigloos and PVC pipes can also work well and are re-washable and re-useable.

Next will be the amazingly simple, yet amusing cat ball plus toilet-paper tube. They love to roll the jingly (or non-jingly) balls around, stick their heads in the TP tubes and run around like their head is stuck (making many caregivers freak out even though it's just amusing for the hedgies), and as some of my boys do, they'll 'pick up' a cat ball in one end of the TP tube, stick their head in the other end, then run around smacking into things, then relax and gnaw on teh TP tube. Sounds silly, but it's a blast to watch.

Okay - that's enough for round one. If you have more questions, PLEASE ASK. It sounds like you have very little info, and the info you have (at least about nutrition) is very very wrong, so please ask! :important You don't want to make your hegdie sick or kill it through poor choices, so it's good that you're asking, and important that you follow this information loyally until you've got your hedgie safe, healthy and happy and have done a lot more research! Okay? :)

meandanimals

Lydia

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for your post! Yes I have read about everybook and every website about hedge-hogs. I just wondered if you could catch beetles to give them. A book I have about hedge-hogs says that they have teeth made for biting open beetles shells...it also says they love them..where can I get them? Also it says they love baby mice, is this true? I cant give them baby mice....so sad :(

I have heard they love toilet paper rolls, and magazines... they love building little houses and it gives them something to do to...any paper or magazines?

Do you have pictures of your cage and the ferret tubing so I can get an idea of how to make the ferret tube..etc

OMG - I have no idea where you're getting this information from, but wherever it is - STOP GOING THERE!!! I'm not certain if you're reading information on European hedgehogs, which are totally different from "pet" hedgehogs; the African Pygmy Hedgehog.

As I said before: NEVER EVER EVER catch insects and feed them to your hedgie; they could be poisonous, and are often full of pesticides, which are very dangerous for your hedgie. I hate to sound condescending here, but your information is WAY off base. Stop getting your info from wherever you are getting it; it's dangerous and potentially fatal to your hedgie!!! And hedgies don't eat baby mice!!!

Obviously you're not reading the right kinds of books or looking at the right websites; I've got no idea what sources you're using, but STOP!!! I have never read a reliable or even vaguely worthwhile website which in any way makes claims like this...

There are no non-breeder-related websites offering good hedgie information available (as per the policies of CavySpirit and GuineaPigCages.com), I cannot post websites here, but I will PM you some actual decent hedgie care websites to do some research on. Until you have some actual GOOD information really memorized and known to you, only follow the information I've given you. Do not look for beetles, do not feed baby mice... go to a pet supply store, get some decent foods (as per my last post) and some freeze-dried mealworms and crickets. Feed these foods, as well as the supplemental ones I listed in my previous post, and THAT'S ALL!!!!

As for housing, I gave you a link above for the fun-nels. You can also search many of the ramps in the galleries here, but only look at ones with sides on them. You can find them here:https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/509

meandanimals

Lydia

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I did not think they ate mice. I dont have the book with me(so i can get the title for you), but it has the African and the European kind of hedge-hogs in it. So African are better pets? This book said the European are smaller, more tame, healthier, and have many more color varieties. ...I dont know who to believe. I will go with your info since I know you have had hedgies.

As I said before (I feel like a bit of a broken record here), your information is completely wrong. European hedgehogs are larger and are wild animals... think possum, raccoon, squirrel - they live in nature and are not pets.

African pygmy hedgehogs are a special breed designed to be pets. They are smaller and cuter. Think wolf versus dog; one is a wild animal - one is a pet.

European: (broken link removed)
African pygmy: (broken link removed)

Big difference. European hedgehogs are not available as pets. They are not bred or sold or adopted in North America. End of story.

And honestly, I need to ask that you NOT get a hedgehog any time soon. You are not well-informed about them, nor educated in their care. Please wait, learn some actual good information, and then adopt if you really feel you want one. Hedgehogs require very specific care and a LOT of maintenance, so a person needs to be very well-informed about their care, health potential problems involved BEFORE getting one.

meandanimals

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I have to agree with Lydia. You know next to nothing about hedgies. If you did, you wouldn't have asked the ridiculous questions you have been asking. I suggest you find a hedgie group to ask questions in because you are not listening to or taking Lydia's advice.

meandanimals

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
You have an amazing hedgie expert, telling you everything you need to know and your not going to accept her advice? I too thought about getting a hedgie, but decided I was not ready to care for one. I decided to do more research and me and hubby agreed we should wait until next year after we get back from holidays since we already have to find a pig sitter. Obvisouly care for the hedgie is not your main concern, for if it was you would accept an experts advice. All we want is what's best for the animals involved.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
The book appears to be feeding YOU what you want - nonsense.

Listen to Lydia, she knows what she's talking about. Would also like to add that surely it's just common sense that hedgehogs don't eat mice? I mean, I've never had a pet one (just the occasional road accident survivor) and even I know that. Oh, and the hedgehogs found here in Europe are anything but small when you compare them to African pygmy hedgehogs.

Lydia

Cavy Slave
You all must have not listen to what I said! I know a ton about hedge-hogs, but I just bought a book a couple days ago, and found info that I wanted second opinion on because I thought the info was crazy! I dont believe the book. Im getting a hedge-hog in a couple days and its not up to yall whether I get one or not. Excuse me for posting... I should just go with the advice in the book and not yalls. Im getting several hedgies, and Im sure they will be the heathiest hedgies because I feed them what they want-beetles.

Well I must be a complete dolt. Obviously I have no idea about hedgheog care and you appear to be a self-proclaimed well-educated expert, so you have no need to my 'second opinion'. Enjoy yourself, but when your hedgehogs get sick and dies painful deaths from toxins and pesticides, feel free to come back here and tell me how wrong I am. Why don't you warm up cats by microwaving them while you're at it... "Im" sure "yall" will do a great job with your hedgie care - you're off to a bang-up start already. :expressio

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
Some people are crazy. Hedgies are not for everyone. I had one dear little hedgie friend and there were many aspects of them that used to freak my friends out. The poopy wheel for one, feeding insects, etc.
Research, listen to other people for advice, and do not rush into pet ownership unless you are prepared.

Trega

Cavy Slave
Wow, that was so rude. Poor Lydia! I never considered owning a hedgehog before, but they are obviously a lot of work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.