PDA

View Full Version : Hidey House

Guinea_Pig
09-10-06, 10:39 pm
Any one have other ideas for hidey house as the pigloos dont work for my guinea pigs.
Thanks

Percy's Mom
09-10-06, 11:03 pm
What didn't work about them? Do they seem frightened of them? Do they not go in at all?

janetangel
09-10-06, 11:39 pm
Do they turn them upside down like my piggies do? I also use a tent I ordered from critterstore.com, cardboard soda boxes and I close off an area of the cage with a cloth or towel and drape it down like a little room.
Sometimes I add newspaper in there, slightly crumpled so they can go under it, or over it. They love to play with newspaper.

Guinea_Pig
09-11-06, 07:59 am
They keep falling over.

Percy's Mom
09-11-06, 09:29 am
They aren't falling over. Your pigs are flipping them either because they are bored, playing, or the cage is too small. Just about all pigs do this. Mine do it just to see if I'll come by and fix it again sometimes.

Guinea_Pig
09-11-06, 09:40 am
Ok, thanks

janetangel
09-11-06, 05:47 pm
Is any of this info helpful for you? PM and tried to answer your questions. Hoping it helped you and your piggies out.

PiggieMom
09-11-06, 06:45 pm
I put heavy things on the top of my pigloos otherwise the pigs will tip them and pee in them. They get really gross that way.

Guinea_Pig
09-11-06, 07:24 pm
Like what heavy things?

WEAVER
09-11-06, 07:55 pm
I don't suggest you use anything heavy to hold the pigloo in place. That really is not safe if the heavy object was to fall. If the pigloos are not working for you try something else. I honestly do not really care for pigloos either and do not use them at all. If I use a hidey house I actually like the wood ones better and the pigs do not move them all around the cage. Most of the time though I really prefer using beds for my pigs and I think they like them as well.

Guinea_Pig
09-11-06, 08:08 pm
Ok. I will look out for the wooden ones.

PiggieMom
09-11-06, 08:27 pm
I have mostly wooden ones. I use rocks and duct tape them to the top. But if you can't find a way to sucure them don't bother.

Guinea_Pig
09-11-06, 09:13 pm
Ok. Thank you.

aqh88
09-11-06, 09:13 pm
I gave up fixing flipped over pigloos. Mine also eat duct tape so attaching things to the top with tape wouldn't work at all. Pigloos all now sit upside down with bedding or hay in them and the pigs sleep in them that way. They prefer laying in their upside down pigloos. For houses that actually allow hiding I have several wooden ones and fiddle sticks. I had a straw house that they absolutely loved but much to the dismay of the pigs after close to a year of peeing, chewing, and sitting on top of it the house collasped one day. They then peed on it while it was flattened and it started to rot so had to be thrown away.

Guinea_Pig
09-11-06, 09:39 pm
So dont buy straw houses?

Captain CavyMan
09-12-06, 10:38 pm

And don't buy a house made out of sticks!
What you need is a house out of bricks!
Lest the big bad wolf come and blow it down.

I couldn't resist.lol I've been reading The 3 Little Pigs to my daughter every night now for about 2 weeks.

You don't need to buy a wooden hidey house. You could make one. My 6 year old son "designed" and helped his dad build one.

standuprookie
09-12-06, 11:07 pm
Stools, like the ones for little kids to stand on, make very good hidey houses and are a big hit at my house. I even had to get a second one to stop squabbles over the first one. Plus they would be very hard to flip.

janetangel
09-13-06, 10:32 am
I use the stools during floortime and they love it. Sometimes I drape a towel over it to make it more cozy. Sometimes I don't. They still love me anyway.

TrekkiesUnite
09-13-06, 09:13 pm
Don't mean to make you sound dumb or anything, but have you tried a shoebox? My guinea pig absolutly loves shoe boxes, just cut a little square out of the side of one that is pig enough for your pig to get through.

JarBax
09-14-06, 01:19 pm
I've never used pigloos. My pigs love their fiddle-stick tunnels, and their hammock. They lie on the hammock - moreso since I covered that area with fabric for them - and lie under it too! They also love any kind of cardboard box/tunnel. They love to lie in the litter trays (basins) under their hayracks too!

aqh88
09-15-06, 02:45 pm

Straw houses are fine and they absolutely love them. The problem is straw houses will eventually need to be thrown away and they aren't all that cheap. Also you need to pick it up daily and make sure it isn't wet. If it is then it has to be left out of the cage to dry for an hour or it will start to rot. Never buy the straw houses, matts, or balls that have a solid bottom. They will ruin it in a day by sitting on it and peeing. The open bottom ones work fine with some caution and don't expect it to last forever.

Guinea_Pig
09-15-06, 09:54 pm
Do those fleece cuddle cups work well?