Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

clover timothy grass mix

WendiZMN

Cavy Slave
Hi. I have 2 boars about 8 months and 2 1/2 yrs old. I found a locate farmer that has hay for sale. He calls it a clover timothy grass mix. I'm not sure about the clover mixed in. I can buy a bale from him for $2.75 and it will last me for a good long while and no doubt be fresher then the oxbow I am purchaseing at the local store. Is the clover mixed in ok for the pigs? I searched clover on this site and really didn't find my answer.
thanks for your help.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Clover hay is ok for once in a while but not really good for everyday use. Are there any local feed stores that might carry timothy or bermuda?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I'd skip clover. It's not a good hay for pretty much any animal. Like alfalfa it's too high in calcium, protien, and several other nutrients but it's also very high in sugar. I have a horse that's basically diabetic and nearly died a few weeks ago because he got into a patch of clover. That stuff is like candy to grazing animals. Also I know large amounts fed to horses or cattle causes excess salivation where they drool constantly. I don't know if it effects guinea pigs but it can quickly lead to dehydration and other health problems if you aren't careful. It's an ok treat and the pigs usually go nuts for it but I would not feed it on a daily basis or in large amounts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.