Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello to all

buttercup06

Cavy Slave
Hello There
I have purchased my 2 new Guinea Pigs last week both boys called Rosie & Nigel (Rosie was named by my daughter who informed me that even though he is a boy his name will be rosie - dare i argue with a 5 year old !!)

They have settled in lovely and im getting very used to their chatter and Nigel the black one loves nuzzling up to my neck, Rosie however just lies there and is so placid he'd just stop !!. They told me in the pet shop they were 8 weeks old but Rosie seems a bit bigger for that age anyway they are both cute. They have spent their first night out last night and i couldnt sleep for worrying if they were ok !! but they were fine this morning.

I may keep them outside through the winter but have read on sites that this is not advisable but a friend of mine who has kept them and bred them for many years told me as long as i get some sort of shield over them they should be ok.

We will see, well as this is my first post just saying hi :heart: :heart: :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Hi, smnemma, welcome to the forum!

This thread: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/introductions/17032-newbies-please-read-post-first.html will cover all the bases and give you all you need to know. This forum supports rescuing, rather than purchasing from pet stores or breeders. We also encourage you to keep your cavies indoors.

There are a few threads that expose the danger of keeping guinea pigs outside:
(broken link removed)
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/10797-i-have-sad-news.html
(broken link removed)

There is a list of threads that explain some of the dangers of petstores here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-re-homing-pet-store-question.html#post236889

I know that's a lot to read, but have a look around and take your time! :) This site has got lots of great information, and we all want what is best for the guinea pigs!

buttercup06

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your reply

I have kept many pets over the years mainly hamsters roborovski, chinese, russian syrian and now all too well the problems associated with certain petstores, however the one i use is a well and trusted one where i know personally the pet store manage and now all the ins and outs of it.

I rang many shelters in my area but none seemed to have any near me and the nearest being some 25 miles away

I am actaully considering becoming an adoptee for the rspca in this area once the person contats me again but shall wait and see

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Hello There
I have purchased my 2 new Guinea Pigs last week both boys called Rosie & Nigel

*shudders at the word purchase*

They told me in the pet shop they were 8 weeks old but Rosie seems a bit bigger for that age anyway they are both cute.

Most likely the pet store is wrong about their ages. Also, please look at this thread to make sure they are both male. Guinea Lynx :: Sexing Guinea Pigs

a friend of mine who has kept them and bred them for many years .

Your friend is a breeder? This is a pro-rescue site. Does your friend know the dangers of breeding, and does she/he know about the thousands upon thousands of homless pigs in shelters?

They have spent their first night out last night and i couldnt sleep for worrying if they were ok !! but they were fine this morning.
I may keep them outside through the winter but have read on sites that this is not advisable but a friend of mine who has kept them and bred them for many years told me as long as i get some sort of shield over them they should be ok.

PLEASE do not keep you pigs outside. Bad weather, stray animals, and mean people breaking in to them, are just a few reasons why not to keep them outside.

A C&C (cubes and coroplast) is the best way to keep them, I bet you could find SOMEWHERE in your house to keep a 2x4 (28in X 56in)
You can make a C&C cage for way less than it would take to buy or make a hutch. Here are some links on building a C&C-
https://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm
https://www.guineapigcages.com/types.htm
https://www.guineapigcages.com/options.htm
https://www.guineapigcages.com/safety.htm

I have kept many pets over the years mainly hamsters roborovski, chinese, russian syrian and now all too well the problems associated with certain petstores, however the one i use is a well and trusted one where i know personally the pet store manage and now all the ins and outs of it.

I foster and adopt hamsters, and other small animals. So knowing that you bought all of yours from a pet store is making me quite mad. As I said before, Thousands upon Thousands of guinea pigs, Hamsters, Mice, Rats, Dogs, Cats, and probably any other animal that you can think of die in shelters every year, becuase people are breeding and buying from a petstore. Yes, your guinea pigs and hamsters that you buy are "cute" but think about all of the ones in shelters that are dying, not because they aren't "cute" or "sweet" but because instead of someone adopting them, people are going out and breeding and buying from pet stores. And most likely the people who are "breeding" end up dumping their animals at shelters because they got tired of them, or didn't like how they turned out.
Think about this the next time you want an animal.

I rang many shelters in my area but none seemed to have any near me and the nearest being some 25 miles away

I am not very sure of where you are, but 25 miles really isn't that far. There are people on this site who have taken 2 day trips to adopt. I myself, (in a few months) am planning on driving 4-5 hours to rescue a pair. I don't think taking a little time is that hard considering you would be saving the pigs life.

buttercup06

Cavy Slave
well im obviously in wrong place many apologies i wont bother staying to be judged and have my friends judged, she is an experienced breeder who allow her gp's to breed only once they are all her own and only passes them on to people who she knows personally, maybe you shouldnt judge before you know the facts.

Many apologies im sorry to have taken up some space

buttercup06

Cavy Slave
Also im fully aware on how to determine which sex they are and am rather offended by your comments which i think are completely unjustified. Yes i would rescue a cavy, i notice that you are from Houston well things are different in the UK, i unfortunately do not drive and do not have access to a car so you would rather i take a train to get to where you want me to get to yeah rite poor thing wud choke to death on the fumes or be scared by the noise

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
samnemma - Please check this thread. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/introductions/17032-newbies-please-read-post-first.html In addition to the forum rules, you will find links to about all of the care information you will need to give your pigs a wonderful life, building instructions to make them large inexpensive cages, and much of the reasoning behind why we are so very against any breeding and purchasing from pet stores.
samnemma said:
she is an experienced breeder who allow her gp's to breed only once they are all her own and only passes them on to people who she knows personally, maybe you shouldnt judge before you know the facts.
The facts are that there are hundreds if not thousands of homeless animals worldwide and absolutely no reason to breed. It's also a fact that there is a 20% chance of health problems including death when a guinea pig is bred.
i notice that you are from Houston well things are different in the UK
I'm truly hoping that the dozens of UK members that have gone out of their way to find rescues and shelters like those of us in the US, along with the French, German, South American, Asian, and Australian, come along and let us know how things are different. My apologies to anyone if I missed your part of the world.
i unfortunately do not drive and do not have access to a car so you would rather i take a train to get to where you want me to get to
I hope you, at the very least, have some way to get your animals to the vet should they become sick or in an emergency.

Now, if you're done flouncing about how you've been judged and are willing to open your mind and heart to the facts you're being presented with, I hope you'll stay around long enough to do some research and learn how to provide your cavies with the best lives possible and why we're so passionate about the philosophies of this forum.

buttercup06

Cavy Slave
Well all i will say is that its certainly not a nice welcome, i have taken your comments on board i shall love and take care of my piggies and be safe in the knowledge that they are well loved and taken care of which at the end of the day to me is all that matters.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Hi Welcome to the forum!

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Please stick around a while and take advantage of all the information on this site.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Now that you have had a couple of friendly welcomes...maybe you can help me understand where you are coming from. To help you understand my mind set, I will explain here:

When I first decided to get a guinea pig for my youngest son, I decided to do some research. I decided I better get a cage first. I was appalled by the pricing from the pet shops. I also wanted to find out how to feed them, keep them healthy and happy before I brought one into my family. I was researching on the net. I was looking at local shelters and finding nothing. I was considering too buy from the pet store, I was going to BUY a single pig if I could not find any other. I than found this site. I read about the site, from the home page on. I loved the fact it was pro rescue, had an alternative for cages and so much information to help me out all in one place. I learned I should get two and not just one, I learned about feeding and environment and much more than I ever thought about. I also found a shelter a couple of hours away who had piggies regularly and I found someone willing to car pool up there with me. THEN a member of this forum was at the local shelter and found two piggies there for adoption. I was excited. I finished building my cage and went down and adopted them. They are cute, lovable and fun to have around. I have since built my cage larger and got two more rescued piggies. I also learned about how bad the issues were for small animals in shelters and found the next time I want to get a rat, I can adopt.
So, I am having a hard time understanding why you are still feeling it is okay to buy from a petstore, you trust, but do not know if they gave you the correct information on their age. You are interested in taking care of animals in a shelter, but you still support your friend breeding guinea pigs.
You do not want to stay on this forum and get criticized, yet you are still posting on it.
On this forum no one minds anyone joining the site, and we have an expectation here that people read the rules before posting (just like any other forum I have joined) and understand the views of the forum. If that does not work for you and you do not appreciate the information we can provide, than everyone has the right to move on. If you do like this site and what the views are, or are willing to learn more about it than stick around.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm sorry you feel some hostility, but please stick around. People on this forum are here for animal welfare amongst other things, so we see something that can be potentially dangerous, and correct it. Don't take it personally, we're just trying to help. I just want to adress one thing you said. Your friend keeps them outside in the winter. Unfortunately, many breeders do that, but it is now considered very unsafe. They are extremely fragile, it would be just heartbreaking if they passed away from being kept outside, please consider moving them indoors personally. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

My 3 Sons

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site. You may find maximum enjoyment from your cavies if you integrate them indoors with your family. I find myself going over to their cage quite often to watch them & give a little scratch or pet. I love to have them close by. Enjoy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.