Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Picking up things from other rodant?

• Thread starter Sofaking Fluffy
  • Start date

Sofaking Fluffy

Cavy Slave
my friend is really worried about her hamster. recently her studio had mice, and the apartment managers took care of the problem (i think with traps).

last night Leonina (her hamster) got out and cruised around the house for a while. She is really nervous that Nina might have picked up something from the dirty mice running around. are there any preventive measures she can take just to make sure Nina stays healthy? she's really worried. Thanks!

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Yes mice can get pet rodents sick. I would disinfect as much of the house as possible and make sure to get rid of any urine or droppings the mouse might have left behind. Check all food containers and places food is stored since they are quite adept at getting into cereals and other tasty food items. If there's any chance a mouse got into the hamster food throw it out and get a new container otherwise wash the outside of the current container. Then just keep the hamster cage extra clean so the hamster isn't exposed to anything else that might stress her immune system. Keep an eye on her for a week or 2 to make sure she doesn't get sick with anything from her escape. If she has soft droppings, runny nose or eyes, is less active, has trouble breathing, or is sneezing/coughing then take her to the vet right away. Living on a farm we've had mice show up quite frequently and never had anyone get sick so she will probably be fine but there is a chance so it's good to take precautions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.