Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Does Hay Expire?

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
My mom claims that hay loses its freshness and taste and I should be buying a new box every year.

Is that true? (keeping in mind I bought a 50 lbs box and it will take the pigs a LONG time to eat it).

Piggy92

Cavy Slave
I think it gets moldy, but Im not sure. Im sure other experts can help you with this one.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Hmm...that sort of reminds me of those dog food commercials where they say their brand tastes better than all the others. How do they know? Do they taste it?

No seriously, if your hay is green, smells good, and stays dry and not moldy, it really doesn't "expire". If there is any moisture around it, and it starts to mold, obviously throw it out.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Certain vitamins in hay break down quickly within the first few months but these are much easier to get from pellets and veggies than from hay so that's generally not a concern. However after around 1year hay does start to break down in a more serious way. Even the fiber can begin to lessen. Preferably you should only keep hay around for 6months but at maximum 1 year. The stables that don't throw out last years crop for new hay often have horses with more health problems and vitamin deficiencies. You also have to take into consideration how long ago the hay was cut since it starts to breakdown from that date and not from when it comes into your possesion. If you buy hay in the spring before the first cut then you are getting hay that was cut last fall and is already 2-4months old depending on what area of the US you are in. Which is another reason I suggest only getting enough hay for 6months.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Yea I think my mom is suggesting the same thing. She's probably right as well. I'm not sure what to do, I bought this supply only last month and it will last a long time. I guess I'll just see how much the pigs can eat, and if anything, I'll donate a good chunk to the humane society.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I ordered a new batch of hay. I still had some timothy hay left over but decided I had it long enough. Started turning a little brown. Had for about 5 months. I keep it dry and air reaches it but it still tends to turn over a period of time.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Sunlight is what turns hay brown. If you have it in a well lit room and clear or open container it will brown. In direct sunlight it will lose all it's green within a day or 2. Moisture and lack of air flow cause mold but it will still be green just covered in white spots and moldy or stale smelling.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.