Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other materials for building a cage

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
My dad really doesn't want to make our new cage out of coroplast. He thinks it would work to use acrylic sheeting (plastic window stuff) and stuff that looks like plastic baseboard (as the sides) instead. I'm not sure that would be safe, especially because the grids are going on the outside of the baseboard stuff. Has any one tryed this before?

He wants the cage to be sturdier and longer lasting than the coroplast. What are other guinea pig safe materials to use that would make it safe, sturdy, longlasting, and pretty to look at? I am making a 2x6 cage by the way.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I think one of the advantages of using corroplast is that it is particularly hygenic as there are no gaps between the bottom and sides, for bacteria to lurk. Using other, less flexible materials, you wont be-able to recreate that 'seamless' advantage. Of-course, you could use duck-tape to 'seal' the joins, but then there would still be a small ridge - along each edge of the tape for germs to linger.

Having said that, I haven't used acrylic sheeting of plastic baseboarding. I'm not aware of coroplast's life-span, though imagine it will last a ong time. I have no complaints about it's sturdiness, and regularly get in there with my piggies! (It is sat on a huge piece of hardboard, which is on casters) I reckon if it were going to collapse, it would have done so by now!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have one piece of coroplast that has lasted 1 1/2 years already. The lifespan is long. It's very easy to clean and maintain. It's very sturdy. If you can get the 6mm vs. the 4mm it's even stronger.

Not sure how the acryllic sheeting stuff and plastic baseboard stuff would work.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
I have had my c and c cage for 3 1/2 - 4 years. My parent don't think it is strong enough because I have the grids on the inside of the coro box and the edges are hanging off the table so it's all droopy.
I love the coroplast and I want to get it again, but my dad is just digging in his heels. I'll tell him about the 6mm, does that cost alot more usaully?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.