PDA

View Full Version : cheap bedding suggestions

loves2travel
08-02-04, 08:11 am
anyone have super cheap solutions for bedding. 2x4 cage, perhaps 20 dollars a month with weekly changes.

WildKingdom
08-02-04, 08:17 am
I'm looking for the same thing! I like to completely clean it out every 3 days or so and carefresh is just so darn expensive. We have a 2x4 with a 1x4 second level. So far Aspen bedding has been the cheapest I've found. I'm still looking for Kiln dried pine though because I think it will be even cheaper.

loves2travel
08-02-04, 08:37 am
been searching around, how does this sound

a couple layers of old newspaper
2 layers of fleece on top
Extra fleece under the hidey houses
their timmy hay for eating on top

how does this sound and How often would the fleece need to be changed

Furkidsmommy
08-02-04, 08:41 am
you could try this
http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13937

bunnyluv17
08-02-04, 09:17 am
anyone have super cheap solutions for bedding. 2x4 cage, perhaps 20 dollars a month with weekly changes.
For my rabbit's litterbox I use a layer of wood stove pellets and then shredded paper on top (for softness). The wood stove pellets are cheap, absorbant, and control odor. The only downside is that you have to stock up because they only sell them in colder months. I get the shredded paper for free from my mom's work. You can find wood stove pellets at any store that sells fireplace stuff. You could also use aspen on top of the wood stove pellets.

loves2travel
08-03-04, 03:16 am
i think i am going to go with the fleece and towel.

another question, i saw a pic of someones cage and they only kept the hay in a confined plastic tray, sort of like the litter box. is this ok, or should it be strewn everywhere

Emily F.
08-03-04, 06:51 am
Hay can be thrown everywhere in the cage, or in a hayrack, or in a corner w/out a hayrack. It dosen't matter. Also, some people use hay as bedding. Hope I helped.

Lots of Love,

Em

WildKingdom
08-03-04, 07:41 am
I just got some aspen shavings that are so soft and fluffy. It is different than the last brand of aspen I used. I put it into the cage last night and they were all racing around and popcorning like crazy! It was a huge vacuum packed bag that will probably fill my 2x4 cage and 1x4 loft 3 times! It cost a little over $10.00. Doesn't get much cheaper than that!

GuineaTV
08-07-04, 11:23 pm
see this thread - http://cavycages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1837
You could use newspaper - it's free!

supertramp
08-08-04, 05:04 am
Get a bale of woodshavings from a farm supply store. They are about £6 and last for absolutely forever as they are even compressed.

cavylover
08-08-04, 08:08 am
Wild Kingdom where'd you get your Aspen bedding and what was the name of it.I've never tried Aspen bedding before.UsedKiln dried pine/Cedar carefresh and thats about it.Oh wait and Woody pet

mncavylover
08-08-04, 01:55 pm
I have used "Kaytee Aspen Bedding & Litter" under my CareFresh (just switched from all CareFresh when I got the pigs into their new cage). I get it from a local pet shop. Good luck! =)

LiciaMommycott
08-08-04, 02:01 pm
...where'd you get your Aspen bedding and what was the name of it.
Try this. If you're in the US, you can get free shipping with $35 purchase.

http://www.ferretstore.com/70cuinlm100a.html

Nature_Princess
08-11-04, 11:14 am
is red cedar bedding ok

Piglet
08-11-04, 11:15 am
no its not. Any type of cedar bedding is bad

Nature_Princess
08-11-04, 11:17 am
thank you i'll remeber that

Nature_Princess
08-11-04, 11:21 am
is aspen bedding better then pine

mncavylover
08-11-04, 12:15 pm
It is better than regular pine, yes. It does not have the harmful chemicals in the scent as pine does. Kiln-dried pine works fine, I've heard, but I don't know if I personally would trust it. =)

pet krazy
08-18-04, 08:03 am
Get a bale of woodshavings from a farm supply store. They are about £6 and last for absolutely forever as they are even compressed. I too get my wood shavings from a farm.In Canada they are $7.00 for a bale which last's me about 2 mo. for 4 piggies in a 6'x3' cage.I put carefresh in their shelters to sleep on.It costs $45.00 for a not verry large bag here in Ontario.Sort of the cadillac of bedding.What exactly is fleece?

mncavylover
08-18-04, 11:59 am
What we call fleece is really polar fleece, a type of fabric sold in craft stores that makes really soft, warm blankets and coats. =)

drakonae
08-25-04, 01:24 pm
I just bought a HUGE bag of Carefresh (the largest the pet store had)....it's 50 liters......for $17.99. I have a feeling it will last at least a month. But I live in Alabama and the cost of living is cheaper here than in a lot of other states.

I did see something while I was there thought that I wanted to ask about. It was wood shavings, but not cedar, pine, or aspen....Chlorophyll or something like that. It was golden brown and green. Anybody anything about this particular type of bedding?

mncavylover
08-25-04, 01:40 pm
Usually it's pine, and the green coloring is for our benefit. It certainly doesn't help the pigs at all, and I don't think it would be good if they ate it. It's more expensive than aspen, too, usually. CareFresh 50L used alone (not with the aspen that I put on the bottom) would let me cover the bottom level of may cage, and would leave the top empty. I need 1 1/3 bags for a full change, or I used to. It's much more expensive than the combo I use now: thick bottom layer of safe aspen, then a top coating of Carefresh to seal in the "dusties" (I'm allergic to a lot of stuff, and the dust seems to get to me). Carefresh is the best though! =)

cinn&sprinslave
08-25-04, 06:12 pm
I just bought a HUGE bag of Carefresh (the largest the pet store had)....it's 50 liters......for $17.99. I have a feeling it will last at least a month. But I live in Alabama and the cost of living is cheaper here than in a lot of other states.

I did see something while I was there thought that I wanted to ask about. It was wood shavings, but not cedar, pine, or aspen....Chlorophyll or something like that. It was golden brown and green. Anybody anything about this particular type of bedding?

Try going to a feed store things are cheaper there a 50L bag of carefresh at a feedstore in my state is only $13.99. And aspen is 10.99 for 2 cubic feet.

mncavylover
08-25-04, 06:26 pm
Thanks! Aspen isn't the problem, it's the CareFresh. I'd go through 1 and 1/3 bags every change! That adds up quickly. I'm going to try another store that just sells food and bedding next time I need some. =)

drakonae
08-25-04, 07:58 pm
thank you both for your replies. You have both been helpful....again.

GuineasGalore
08-26-04, 09:36 am
How about using newspaper and papertowles, or just papertowles?

mncavylover
08-26-04, 09:44 am
You'd have to have a lot of paper towels, and I think you'd have to change it more than once a week. Probably two or three times. Thanks for the suggestion, though! =)