Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

my stabel

henni

Cavy Slave
hy there,
i'm from germany and i found your forum about google! my englsih isn't very good but although, i want to show you my stabel! in it there are living 3 pigs (but i have 5). it isn't a cavy cage, but i hope you like it too! my dad has built it for my and it stands on outside under a roof. it's out of wood!:) i hope you can understand me with my bad english! we german guineapig lover have got a forum about guineapogs to! if you want and if you can german you can look on itlol :
(NOTE by Mod: Link to forum removed as it promotes breeding. Also new members are not allowed to promote other forums or their own websites without the moderators giving permission.)
but here are my pictures........
WEB.DE Foto-Alben

i hope the link functioned:sorry:

bye bye henrike:D

Last edited by a moderator:

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Hi Henni! Your English is better than a lot of English-speakers' English! I only know a word or two of German, so cannot comment on your forum.
Welcome to our forum! I couldn't see your pictures - sorry!

poooh

Cavy Slave
hi henny! i´m from the meerschweinforum too!
pooh, do you remember? harvest moon? hihi very funny here and maybe our englisch will be better in a few weeks.;)

henni

Cavy Slave
hey pooh, yeah i remeber u!lol i hope my english will be better too....... so can you see my pictures on the link! the person, who wrote bevor you can't see them, maybe it's because i made the foto album on a german website?!
bye henni:)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I was able to pull the pictures up fine. That cage is much too small for 3 pigs, and being wood is going to harbor all sorts of germs. Sanitizing a wooden cage is near to impossible without extremely harsh chemicals. Hopefully, you will research enough through our site to create a more comfortable living environment for your pigs, preferably inside. They really don't deserve to be outdoors like that. There are too many dangerous variables for things that could hurt or kill your pigs or make them very ill.

poooh

Cavy Slave
i have a made a german link too and it works(???)
yes i can see your stable and it is very nice!!!
@percys mom: wood is better than your cages and newspaper on the floor is very bad for pigs. it is different in germany and i think you should accept it!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Your hutch or stable as you call it looks way too small for 3 pigs. Also outdoors isn't an appropriate place to keep piggies.

I know your english isn't very good but please try to use capitalization in your postings. Also the emoticons/smilies should be used with restraint and not used as punctuation to end your sentences.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
@percys mom: wood is better than your cages and newspaper on the floor is very bad for pigs. it is different in germany and i think you should accept it!
Germs and diseases aren't different from country to country. Wood absorbs urine which then harbors dirt and germs. The chemicals needed to sterilize this are extremely caustic and can also cause harm to your animals. Our cages made of plastic and grids can not absorb anything and can be easily sterilized with a simple vinegar and water solution. I don't need to accept anything other than what I already know to be true.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
it is different in germany and i think you should accept it!
The only way change is made is by doing it. Just because you say it isn't the norm in germany to keep pigs in C&C cages and inside doesn't mean that isn't what is best for pigs. We don't have to accept anything you are saying as fact. We promote proper living conditions here on this forum, we don't promote too small wooden cages that can harbor potentially deadly bacterias placed outside for predators (both human and animal) to get to or for the pigs to suffer dangerous weather extremes.

poooh

Cavy Slave
but you dont now how small the stable really is!
henni say anything!

henni

Cavy Slave
Well, I think you aren't right, because I've got a pvc ( a washable floor mat) on the timber flooring so I can also clean it with water and after i cleaned it it is cleanly!
And the stabel isn't to short for my 3 pigs, because every day they are over 3 hours in their big discharge where they can run! And all the people in the german forum said that my stabel is perfect for 3 pigs!:rolleyes:
So please ask me for deatails before you make a wrong attitude about my stabel............

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I didn't make a wrong statement about your stable. I saw the photos you linked to myself. Maybe you should go back to your german forum if you don't agree with what our principles and standards are here. Your german forum is clearly pro-breeding so they probably think that 2 square feet per guinea pig is acceptable.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Fine. What are the measurements of that cage? Is it at least 13 sq ft (1.21 sq meters) on the first floor? Looking at it in your pictures, I would guess that it's not. Those are the sizes that this forum recommends for 3 cavies, and a cage smaller than that will be referred to as too small. Even if it does meet the size recommendations, the cage is still outdoors. Do you have provisions for rain, wind, bugs, heat or cold, humans or other animals that might try to break into your cage? The only thing I can see that is acceptable about that cage is that you've now told us there is a lining on the floor, so it's easier to clean. Congratulations to your pigs that they get 3 hours a day that they aren't cramped up in a prison.

henni

Cavy Slave
well i think it's better for us all when i go to my german forum.......! and there i think it's more better than here so bye

Leona German

Cavy Slave
Hallo,

i am also from Germany. I think that the attitude from Germans and Americans is very different.
In Germany most of the people dont like to use plastic for there animals. Only the floor normaly is made of plastic. Plastic is not natural. When the pigs try to eat the things in there cage ( what every normal pigg tries) we find it is better when the pig has wood in the mouth than plastic. Maybe wood is not so clean, but plastic in the stomage is even worst.

We normaly also dont use newspaper for the floor, because the paint is very bad for the healt.

Normaly Guinea Pigs live in the nature also in the outside. We just think that living in the outside is a very healty and natural way of living. You only have to see that animals cant harm your pigs.

The cage from Henni has a size from 160 cm to 65 cm ( the first floor). I dont know how much feet it is. But all together for every pig she has 0,5 qm what is o.k.
What do you say, how much qm need one pig?

In Germany is also normal, that we dont keep Pigs alone. Pigs are animails which live in groups. How do you see it?

I think people should try to understand other people, and not start a war!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Plastic is not natural. When the pigs try to eat the things in there cage ( what every normal pigg tries) we find it is better when the pig has wood in the mouth than plastic. Maybe wood is not so clean, but plastic in the stomage is even worst.
Not every pig tries to eat things in their cage other than food. Wood in their stomachs is probably a lot worse than a bit of plastic. The wood has bacteria in it and can splinter and if a pig were to swallow a splinter, it could tear the stomach or intestines open. The bacteria in the wood could make a pig ill or even die.

We normaly also dont use newspaper for the floor, because the paint is very bad for the healt.
Most newspapers these days use soy based inks which are perfectly safe if ingested.

Normaly Guinea Pigs live in the nature also in the outside. We just think that living in the outside is a very healty and natural way of living. You only have to see that animals cant harm your pigs.
Maybe the wild guinea pigs of Peru and the Andes Mountains live outside but domesticated pet guinea pigs are not livestock and should not be treated as such. Animals can and do break into outdoor cages. Maybe you should read our forum a little more and read the horror stories of animals breaking into outdoor cages and killing pigs and also humans stealing guinea pigs from outdoor hutches/cages.

The cage from Henni has a size from 160 cm to 65 cm ( the first floor). I dont know how much feet it is. But all together for every pig she has 0,5 qm what is o.k.
What do you say, how much qm need one pig?
What is a qm?

In Germany is also normal, that we dont keep Pigs alone. Pigs are animails which live in groups. How do you see it?
We advocate keeping pigs in pairs at the very least, or larger groups for those that have the room for a herd. So far, this is about the only thing we do agree on.

I think people should try to understand other people, and not start a war!
Then why is it that you came here to back up your friend henni's statements?

C&C cages are now being widely used in the United States, UK, Scotland, South America, Canada, the Phillipines, and in Germany just to name a few countries. They are built to the specifications of this website and kept indoors. We have a long time member here from Germany who has a C&C cage and her pigs are indoors and are doing great. Why is it that you don't want to learn new things for the betterment of your pigs lives? Or are you a person who doesn't want to better your pigs lives?

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I am from the UK. We only use plastic on the base of the cages. The guinea pigs do not usually chew it, and if they do the owner does something about it. I, for one had a few guinea pigs who chewed the plastic and I got something to prevent them doing so. If the guinea pigs chewed the plastic items in their home I'm sure the owner would be aware and sort it out. Mine have never had a problem with their 'plastic' cages (I've had them almost a year).

I also use newspaper below the bedding. Mine have always chewed the newspaper and never had a problem. They are all in good health. The 'paint' is only harmful if they get a lot of it; mine only eat the edge.

And we also believe that no guinea pig deserves to live alone. I have one boar, however, who I have tried with male cagemates but he will not have it. He fights them. Because of this I am considering having him neutered and living with my sows in the future. :)

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
I don't want to get into a fight or anything, but I agree with Ly&Pigs and Percy's Mom. The "cage" is obviously too small. And, it is dangerous too keep piggies outdoors. A predator such as a hawk or cat could hurt or kill a guinea pig.

Henni: I think you should go back to your german forum. Perhaps you didn't read this forum's rules properly, but we are anti-breeding and many of us, including me, have a Cubes-and-Coroplast cage. We know that wood can be dangerous.

Leona German: Someone might have beat me to it to say this, but plastic is usually too hard for a guinea pig to gnaw. It's much safer than wood, as wood could contain dangerous bacteria, or even be poisonous to guinea pigs.

Thanks for reading this, again I hope I didn't start a fight or anything, and I apologize if anything I said is wrong, though I'm pretty sure my information was accurate.

Leona German

Cavy Slave
with the ink in the newspaper is not true, its harm guineas. Sorry but for that you should read the ingreadeance.
Its very pitty that in America it seems to be normal, that animals kill outside Guineas. My friend has here Guineas alway outside. Thjere have a very good imun system ( the oldest Lady is 8 1/" years old).
She made here cage and the "walk out" ( i dont know the rigth name for it) so save that never nothing happened to them.
You just have to be carefull.

I think that in America the temperatur is very different in the year compared to Germany. Maybe because of that its for you not so easy to keep them happy in the outsite.

Whit the plastic and the wood: i think here is a understandable between two kinds of living.

We in Germany think that a little dose of bacterials make your imun system stronger. Like this you dont get allergies ( which is allready proved) and dont get so fast sick.

And we dont like plastic, because in plastic are very often much more bad things then just a few bacterials. Things which give the color or make it softer. This things stay in the plastic and very often this things can even make cancer. Because of that the most of our Babys play more whit wooden toys, than with plastic toys.

And bee honest: you dont think that wood look and touch much nicer than cold plastic? Wood is warmer and has another spirit than plastic.
Plastic looks horrible artificial.
I try to give my pigs so much space they can get, and an inviroment which is so near to the nature than i can find.

A qm means square meter: one meter* one meter

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
Posted by Leona German:
We in Germany think that a little dose of bacterials make your imun system stronger. Like this you dont get allergies ( which is allready proved) and dont get so fast sick.

Perhaps that's true with humans, but guinea pigs are very delicate and fragile animals. Even a small dose of bacteria could make tham quite ill.

also posted by Leona German:
And bee honest: you dont think that wood look and touch much nicer than cold plastic? Wood is warmer and has another spirit than plastic.
Plastic looks horrible artificial.

It doesn't matter how the plastic looks or feels, it matters if it's safe or not for guinea pigs.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.