Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pine bedding question

WildKingdom

Cavy Slave
Is Kiln dried pine the same as natural pine that has no chemicals added? I haven't been able to find any pine bedding that says kiln dried but did find some that said "all natural pine with no chemicals added". Same or not?

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
It may not same. It could be air-dried only. It may still got the strong smell & oil.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
WildKingdom said:
Is Kiln dried pine the same as natural pine that has no chemicals added? I haven't been able to find any pine bedding that says kiln dried but did find some that said "all natural pine with no chemicals added". Same or not?
Kiln drying is a process that removes harmful oils (which are natural but still no good for pigs). I buy Norstar Kiln Dried Pine Shavings from a tack and feed store. It is also extremely cheap because it is sold in bulk for horse stalls. The performance has been great.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Here's what I get...

(broken link removed)

WildKingdom

Cavy Slave
kennethlhm said:
It may not same. It could be air-dried only. It may still got the strong smell & oil.
The stuff I bought doesn't really have a smell at all. I think the package said no oils also. Hmmm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.