Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thinking of adding a bunny to the family

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
Currently I have to piggies, they are both boys, about 1 1/2 years old. I was thinking of adding a bunny to our family, I'm looking at finding a dwarf bunny to adopt. How much harder is it to care for a bunny than a guinea pig? What are their differences as far as care, for example: What type of bedding do they need? What type of cage and how big for one bunny? How often do bunnies poopy and how difficult is it to clean after them? How prone are they to illnesses?
I guess another question would be, is there a good website, just like this one, that gives you basic info on bunny cages and bunny care all in one easy place?

Thank you!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
How much harder is it to care for a bunny than a guinea pig? - Really not much harder in my opinion. I find cage cleaning easier as they can usually be trained to use a litterpan

What type of bedding do they need? - Aspen, carefresh or other small animal safe bedding. If you litterbox train then you only really need bedding material in the litterbox

What type of cage and how big for one bunny? If you have a house rabbit the cage need not be huge. If you are planning on cage keeping your rabbit then a minimum of a 2x4 with 2-3 levels. Ramps are not necessary as a rabbit can easily jump up to it's levels.

How often do bunnies poopy and how difficult is it to clean after them? - I'll say it again. Littertrain. They poop a lot but most are naturally clean and usually only soil one spot in their cage.

How prone are they to illnesses? - Of course that depends on the rabbit but a genetically healthy rabbit that is well kept is fairly hardy. They can have teeth problems so need unlimited hay. They can get URIs and other illnessess.

I guess another question would be, is there a good website, just like this one, that gives you basic info on bunny cages and bunny care all in one easy place? - House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide is the care site you want. As far as cages I think this site has the best info and we have many people here that have built their rabbits fabulous C&C and C&C alternative type cages.

Last edited:

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
Thank you! That was fabulous information. The more I see pictures of bunnies at the rescue and shelters and the more I learn about them the more I want one! I need to really go and play with one first however, I'm allergic to cats, so my only concern would be if I would be allergic to rabbits too. But I really hope not, because I'd love to adopt a rabbit before the end of the year :)

smartorl

Cavy Slave
I think rabbits make excellent pets. Maybe a few trips to a shelter or rescue to test your reactions after? It is so hard to adopt and then be unable to keep them. Rabbits are very easy to litter train. I think it is easier to litter train a rabbit than to housebreak a dog. The main thing I have found is to keep a little scoop close by and clean the box often because they like to be clean. They really are no more trouble than gp's, less in my opinion. They are very playful and I love watching them interact with toys. If your bun is isolated and doesn't come into contact with other bunnies the main ailments are URI's (although not that common), ear mites, and fur mites. For pets I find that bucks seem to be the best pets, they seem to truly fall in love with their owners and crave their attention, whereas does tend to be more independant. Good luck!

bunnydude

Cavy Slave
Rabbits make wonderful house pets. They are not low-maintenance, but providing proper care is not overly difficult. I've experieced great success littertraining my two rabbits. Litter training becomes much easier after they have been spayed or neutered. They will sometimes leave feces outside of their boxes, but they are very easy to pick up with a tissue. Though I can't compare rabbits to guinea pigs, as I have never had a guinea pig.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I agree with Voodoojoint. There are also some differences I have noted between rabbits and guinea pigs:

1) Fixed rabbits tend to be cleaner than guinea pigs
2) Rabbits are more interactive and affectionate towards people once they get to know you
3) Rabbits are more mischeivious and it is harder to bunny-proof than to piggie-proof
4) Rabbits are more intelligent and need more mental stimulation in the form of toys, exercise, and attention.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.