Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

is it true

baby-sasha

Cavy Slave
is it true that most rabbits don't like being held and handled? also do they poop as much as guinea pigs?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I have bunny-sat my friends bunny and he hated being held down, but it depends on their personality. Bunnies are also much easier to litter train than piggies.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Most rabbits don't like being held or carried but on the other hand most love being stroked and pet. If you bond with your rabbit they are likely to jump into your lap for attention or snuggle next to you on the floor.

Rabbits are more likely to seek out your company if you treat them with respect and spend lots of time with them, on their terms, That means sitting on the floor with them and allowing them to make the first moves at first to establish trust.

Rabbits do poop a lot but I don't think it's quite as much as GPs. Most rabbits take willingly and some even naturally, to littertraining.

My newest rabbit is a natural to being a littertrained house rabbit. He has free access to most of the house during the day but returns to his cage when he needs to poop or pee. So far he has only left a few poops outside his cage.

vics2004

Cavy Slave
Peta loves being stoked and will hop onto the sofa for a cuddle. However there are the odd times every day or so that she wants to be picked up, which she signals by looking up ut us periodically, then staying heavy to the ground when I go to pick her up, rather than running around (which she does if she does not want picking up)

baby-sasha

Cavy Slave
Hmm...okay well thank you.

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
That is great information. How easy is it to littertrain them? Is there a site that shows you how? I was never good at training my pups when i was younger, with potty training, I don't think I ever actually got a dog fully potty trained. So hoping it wouldn't be too hard with bunnies, I would love to add one to our family!

jam224

Cavy Slave
That is great information. How easy is it to littertrain them? Is there a site that shows you how?
This is an excellent site about littertraining a bunny! --> (broken link removed)

Our bunnies were SUPER easy to litter train, once they were spayed/neutered! The key is to have hay in the box, like this --> (broken link removed)

Caramel Cookie

Cavy Slave
My daughters and I volunteer for the local House Rabbit Society once a week. We take the bunnies out of their cages to play in penned in areas, (to help them get socialized and for good old fashioned playtime!). We have noticed that the bunnies are usually really good at just doing their buisness in their litter pan, just follow jam224's tips and you should be off to a great start. Also, although the bunnies generally do not like to be picked up, they love to be petted (especially if you rub them on the bridge of their nose, right between the eyes :D) and played with.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Riley hates being picked up and carried but he does love sitting on my lap, being stroked and he also follows me around the house and garden. I never really have to pick him up because when I need to clean his cage I open the lid of his cage and he jumps out himself, he also jumps back in his cage. I'd say he poops less than the guinea pigs.

jam224

Cavy Slave
My daughters and I volunteer for the local House Rabbit Society once a week. We take the bunnies out of their cages to play in penned in areas, (to help them get socialized and for good old fashioned playtime!).
Oh, how fun to play with so many bunnies! I think that's wonderful of you to volunteer your time!
Also, although the bunnies generally do not like to be picked up, they love to be petted (especially if you rub them on the bridge of their nose, right between the eyes :D) and played with.
I 100% agree! You mentioned the *MAGIC* spot where they like to be petted, LOL! Both of our buns will run across the playpen at the chance to be petted. They melt into the floor, they enjoy being groomed so much! lol

I also agree with Myspoiltpiggies: While Lily doesn't mind being picked up and Bender is definitely not a fan, they really enjoy being petted. Both don't mind being put in our laps, as long as they feel secure and are getting luvins! ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.