Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Not eatting Hay

ic0n67

Cavy Slave
I'm kinda of concerned with my guinea pig's hay consumption. He really only nibbles on this hay or jumps in it, but doesn't really eat it like I have seen other guinea pigs eat their hay. I got one of those bird feeders that you put those fat cubes in (I forget what it is called >.>) to put his hay in. Originally it was just sitting on the floor of the cage, then I found he was using it as a bathroom instead of a table. I tried semi-hangin it on the side of the cage using the remain side to prop it up so it is angled and he can't sit in it. It worked to the point of not going in his hay, but he still doesn't eatting it with any regualrity. He is only 1-2 months old, does he not know any better to eat it full time? Will he grow out of it? Should I be using differnt hay?

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
What kind of hay are you giving him?
I have found that my 4 guinea pigs will just nibble (like you're saying) on alfalfa hay but they love timothy hay. Since he is so young, he really should be eating alfalfa hay but if he is getting alfalfa based pellets and he won't eat alfalfa hay, timothy should be fine.
Does he have a friend? He might be lonely.

HandcuffedAngel

Cavy Slave
I agree that you should try getting him a friend.

I got a young guinea pig and he refused to eat any vegetables until I got him 2 older boys to play with and then last night I caught him in the salad.

I think if you get a boy that's a little older, then your little one now will hopefully pick up on the other's habits and eat his hay.

ic0n67

Cavy Slave
I have LM Animal Farms Classic Pellets (which he takes maybe 2-3 days to eat a full load out of his 3" bowl) and Kaytee's Natural Timothy Hay. I mean the pig doesn't really devour anything other than cherries and carrots. Everything else has the potential of sitting for a little bit and have him nibble on it until he is good and ready to eat.

HandcuffedAngel

Cavy Slave
Switch your hay. Kaytee is low-quality and not very good for your pig in the first place.

I switched to Oxbow with all of my animals and they ate twice as much of it than the Kaytee stuff.

I believe LM pellets aren't good, either. The best two are (broken link removed) and (broken link removed).

Rachel's Cavy Cove

Cavy Slave
I also put my hay rack over their litter box. That increased theri consumption 10 fold. They weren't really eating it before that either but now they can' get enough!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.