Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

is it ok to have a pig outside during the day?

misspiggie

Cavy Slave
Do you think its ok if you bring them indoors to a small, commercial cage at night or if its raining, and maybe even in the winter? Or maybe in a 2x5 cage? (for 2 pigs) I am thinking about buying a couple pigs, but I live in a 951 square ft house with 5 people in it, so there is no room for a big cage.
I live in WI, it is usually around 75-85 fahrebheit in the summer, and 1-35 degrees in the winter. What do you think?:?:
PS they would be unsupervised most of the day in a secure cage that is animal proof.

HandcuffedAngel

Cavy Slave
On a personal note ... no. I think it's way too hot in the summer. I live in Michigan and always have a fan going on my pigs because it gets so hot. Also, I would never leave something so small unsupervised all day outside in that heat with other animals out there that can eat it.

I really don't think that's a good idea.

misspiggie

Cavy Slave
Thank You!!! What about just in the spring and fall, when its about 65-75 out?

HandcuffedAngel

Cavy Slave
Maybe for a while ... but not unsupervised.

I have brought mine out in playpen for a short while in the daytime, but would never force them to live out there. Besides, you miss all the fun if you leave them outside [and they can be in very real danger if there are large predators around]. Even if neighbors' cats are out, they could find a way to break into the cage and kill the piggies.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
There are far too many dangers in having your guinea pigs live outside. No matter what the temperature is, there are always other weather conditions, dogs, cats, birds, insects, and other predators to think about. Cavies are very social animals and need to be around their people in a stable environment. You'll find that you enjoy them more if you keep them inside as well. As far as size for the cage goes, if you're adopting (I hope) 2 pigs, you could build a 2X4 cage for them to save a little space, and use extra grids to make a foldaway playpen for them to run around in during floortime or to take outdoors when you have time to supervise them running around and munching on grass for a while.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
No way. Here is a partially changed (broken link removed) I pulled from the outdoor vs. indoor thread.

"Any full time outdoor living situation is not recommended. There is no such thing as a safe outdoor hutch. As explained earlier the animals are subject to temperature fluctuations, insects and parasites, and both animal and human predators.

To "do it right" your outdoor hutches must be in a stong and secure outbuilding with temperature control, electricity and constant human monitoring. I even consider that unacceptable. If you wouldn't house your child in that manner then why do people think it's acceptable to house an animal like that?

To us outdoor environments means a supervised and safe playyard for part-time playing and grazing. If you noticed we do not have a gallery for outdoor housing, just playyards. We do not allow any substandard cages, including even the most luxurious outdoor hutch, to be featured in the gallery.

These are some of the things I have heard about happening in so called "safe" outdoor hutches

-2 baby Guinea Pigs getting stolen out of their hutches by humans.

-neighborhood dogs breaking into rabbit hutches and killing the rabbits.

-a hutch either not locked properly or tampered with. The GPs got out and were found dead a few days later.

-GPs dying due to heat or cold

-a neighboorhood kid putting his pitbull in an outdoor hutch full of rabbits to watch the dog kill.

-raccoons trying to rip apart rabbit hutches. Luckily they made enough noise that the owner was able to stop them although this same person had their rabbits' toes bitten off in the past by racoons reaching the rabbit through the flooring wire.

-A rabbit that was set on fire by the owner's "friend".

-A GP that gave birth outside, all babies died and the mother died a week later.

People that keep their animals in outdoor hutches are playing with their pets' lives. Then, when the worst happens, they come on the boards whining about how awful it is. I have only sympathy for the animals that suffered. The neglectful owner gets nothing but anger and disgust from me."

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I am thinking about buying a couple pigs

I'm going to copy a reply I made to another thread that was similar to this:

Please, please, please, do not buy a pig! There is a major overpopulation problem in the world today. In the US alone as of March 2006 there were over 2000 homeless guinea pigs listed on petfinder.com, which is only one single rescue resource. There are literally thousands that need a home. By purchasing from pet stores you two homeless cavies remain homeless, also you support breeding. So two more pigs will be bred to replace the ones you bought, which means two more homeless pigs will not have a home or the breed pigs will end up in the shelters. Breeders risk the lives of all their pigs, so by supporting them you allow them to risk those lives as well. A sow has a 1 in 5 chance of DYING giving birth. Most breeders also keep their pigs in awful conditions allowing them to dye outside in small dirty cages. By buying from a pet store you also run the serious risk of buying a sick, dying or pregnant pig. Please do not support this ring of death.

https://cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm
https://cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm
Guinea Lynx :: Breeding
https://cavyspirit.com/hollister.htm
July 2006 - Guinea Pig Cages Forum
Daisy passed on - Guinea Pig Cages Forum

Read over those links I gave you. I am NOT exaggerating the problem. Please do not buy a pig, adopt!

HandcuffedAngel

Cavy Slave
I would suggest not getting pigs at all [concerning the O.P.] since it kind of sounds like there will not be enough room or time for guinea pigs in this household.

misspiggie

Cavy Slave
Well thankyou for the imput everyone!! I guess I should try to find a pet that doesnt take up so much space.:sad: Well thanks again!!

PS piggiemom, I actually was thinking about adopting the pigs, my mistake.

HandcuffedAngel

Cavy Slave
Get gerbils. They don't take up much space. Or fish. ^_^

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I really love hamsters and rats. Rats have such good personalities and you can build their cages tall instead of long. If you go into the rat forum here there are some good links.

misspiggie

Cavy Slave
Alright rats or gerbils sound fun!! Thanks everyone!!

SMORESBOSS

Cavy Slave
Don't put your pigs in a way to small cage or it may cause fighting of space or DO NOT buy more pigs if you dont have the space

CadburysMommy

Cavy Slave
Alright rats or gerbils sound fun!! Thanks everyone!!

I'm glad you're being responsible about this and deciding against cavies if you don't feel as though you can give them what they need, a lot of people would still get them regardless. Good for you being so sensible about this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.