Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cubes for hamsters

oreo33

Cavy Slave
What have people used as cubes for hamster cages? Regular cubes have huge squares that hamsters can escape from.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
You can get mesh cubes at some Bath/home type stores. I think Linens and Things carries them.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Don't forget a roof!!

oreo33

Cavy Slave
I really like the kids grids I saw in Piggiemom's pictures and I've seen them in other cavycages photos but the Target site doesn't show them and the store near me doesn't have them. Is there any where else I can find them?

Shaffy

Cavy Slave
Yes they will. Hamsters chew thourgh alot of stuff. you are better off making a hamster cage of a plastic bin with holes in it for air ( make it over 66 qurats [sp? i lost my dictonary] in size.) if i can i will find you a link for making those.
~ Shaffy

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
The mesh grids from Linens N Things are made from metal, not plastic, so they will be suitable. A plastic bin would not provide enough ventilation.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Hamsters do better when kept from drafts than when given tons of ventilation. Plastic bins work great. I just replace the tops with mesh. An aquarium would be the best though since it's hard to see through a plastic bin but will cost considerably more. If using mesh grids you will have to get some mesh wire(hardware cloth) to cover the gaps in the corners. I found using grids with such small escape artists was rather difficult.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
What kind of hamster/s do you have? I have had syrians and dwarfs.. If you have Syrians make sure that you only have one per cage they are solitary. (sorry if you already know this, better safe than sorry) If you have dwarfs I would not suggest any kind of metal wire cage, they can get out of almost everything!

The best thing that has worked for me is a cage that I made myself... I have tried all the "pet store" cages and they have all proven to be useless and a waste of money. (Not trying to make anyone that has any of these cages mad) Also, aquariums are ok.. but they too can be escaped from and they do not provide a lot of ventilation. I have not personaly found any of the mesh cubes, so I cannot really help with that..

The cage I made is was less than $20 to make.. It is a hamster/small animal playpen connected with cable ties sitting on top of a under the bed storage box.. Here are some pictures-

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Those playpens are probably the only metal sides my dwarf hamsters haven't escaped from. I never had escapes with aquariums or storage containers and the one storage container I didn't have a lid on since we have no predatory animals and they couldn't climb out. They lived in it for 3years without ever escaping. My sister had them escape quite frequently(nearly weekly probably) from petstore cages and eventually also went to using aquariums. The only ventilation issues we've had were actually crittertrail petstore cages that have wire sides but have enclosed plastic areas at the top and tubes down the sides. Several of my sister's hamsters came down with skin problems from lack of ventilation in the tubes, "petting zone", and enclosed plastic wheel.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.