Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Megazorb

basicskill

Cavy Slave
I live in Basildon and have purchased a 75l bag of megazorb for £6.50. I purchased it from Sadlers farm on the Sadlers Farm roundabout.

Sadlers Hall Farm, London Rd, Bowers Gifford, Basildon, Essex SS13 2HD
Tel: 01268 792114 Hopes this helps anybody in the area:)

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Oh thank you so much! I have been looking every where for somewhere near me that sells Megazorb. I don't live in Basildon but I do live in Essex! Do you have to order it via phone or can you just drop in and say hi?

basicskill

Cavy Slave
Oh thank you so much! I have been looking every where for somewhere near me that sells Megazorb. I don't live in Basildon but I do live in Essex! Do you have to order it via phone or can you just drop in and say hi?

Just drop in, when you go in you will see the sadlers farm farmshop,drive round the back and to the left its a big shed, inside pay the lady on the right and a nice young chap will take it to your car.they do hay etc, good luck

muffin

Cavy Slave
Oh that reminds me- I don't think anyone livs near enough, but I've found a horse supplier near Dalkeith (Edinburgh area), that sells readigrass, graze-on, megazorb and hays. I think they also sell medibed. Hope that helps someone.

basicskill

Cavy Slave
Re: Megazorb+ coroplast

I live in Basildon and have purchased a 75l bag of megazorb for £6.50. I purchased it from Sadlers farm on the Sadlers Farm roundabout.

Sadlers Hall Farm, London Rd, Bowers Gifford, Basildon, Essex SS13 2HD
Tel: 01268 792114 Hopes this helps anybody in the area:)

COROPLAST
I cannot acces the "bought mine at" page doesn't seem to be working. So Ill post the info here!

Amari plastics, paycocke Road, basildon, Essex ss14 3nw. 01268884444
white sheet of cloroplast 8"x4" £18.80(INC vat), no need to book just turn up and collect.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave

COROPLAST
I cannot acces the "bought mine at" page doesn't seem to be working. So Ill post the info here!

Amari plastics, paycocke Road, basildon, Essex ss14 3nw. 01268884444
white sheet of cloroplast 8"x4" £18.80(INC vat), no need to book just turn up and collect.

Ouch £18.80! I get a 8'x4' yellow peice for £6.50. I however get it at trade price. My mum works for a sign writer! :D

basicskill

Cavy Slave

Ouch £18.80! I get a 8'x4' yellow peice for £6.50. I however get it at trade price. My mum works for a sign writer! :D

Well don't I feel better? :sad: NOT, but I did get the cubes for £7.99 so all in all it only cost me £25.79 which cannot be bad, considering the pet shop cage half the size was £50. and with the left overs I made two hidies.:cheerful:

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
£7.99? Where'd you get them from? Mine cost £19.99 from argos, when I first built my cage argos did not have any so I had to order mine from france! They didn't deliver to the UK so we arranged for my mums friend to pick them up from his dad's who lives in France. But they didn't arrive in time so I had to wait another 2weeks untill one of his dad's friends came over to the UK! :melodrama

basicskill

Cavy Slave
£7.99? Where'd you get them from? Mine cost £19.99 from argos, when I first built my cage argos did not have any so I had to order mine from france! They didn't deliver to the UK so we arranged for my mums friend to pick them up from his dad's who lives in France. But they didn't arrive in time so I had to wait another 2weeks untill one of his dad's friends came over to the UK! :melodrama

They are not in the new argos catalogue and have gone into the clearance section, you can reserve them on the phone but not online £7.99. Get them quick I say!!!!!! Even if you use them as a run for the garden or indoor freetime

jabberwock

Cavy Slave

Well don't I feel better? :sad: NOT, but I did get the cubes for £7.99 so all in all it only cost me £25.79 which cannot be bad, considering the pet shop cage half the size was £50. and with the left overs I made two hidies.:cheerful:

Well I'll make you feel better - I paid about £28 for that size sheet of coroplast and that was after a whole morning phoning round signwriters.

muffin

Cavy Slave
That reminds me, I got my big sheets of coroplast from Easter Road plastics in portobello, Edinburgh. No need to book, but they only have white. I think it was cheap enouh, but can't remember exactly.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Didn't want to start a new thread on the same topic, though am aware this is an old thread.

Having heard good things about Megazorb, decided it was the stuff for me (or more precicely, my pigs!) Tried phoning around - but got poor response from the equine suppliers locally. Daftscotslass kindly gave me a bag of hers to try, and then the search was on to find some for myself!

This is the website I used to locate stockists:

(broken link removed)

Unfortunately the closest is a good 2 hour drive away! However, was near enough the Dalkeith shop over the holidays, and managed to squeeze a sack into my already packed Micra for the journey home! (it cost £5.35)

Back home, was in town, when passed horsey shop I hadn't been in before. Enquired within, and the kind shopkeeper ordered me two bags for £5.20 each! No hassles - no questions, can order me regularly as required (at what point shall I let on 'tis for my guinea pigs, not stables?!) Hoorah!

I have just completed a new hay/kitchen area, filled with megazorb - will let you know how it does (though I can't help feeling that with it being made for horses with their vast quantities of liquid excretion, it can only fair well with my four piggies pee-pees!)

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Didn't want to start a new thread on the same topic, though am aware this is an old thread.

Having heard good things about Megazorb, decided it was the stuff for me (or more precicely, my pigs!) Tried phoning around - but got poor response from the equine suppliers locally. Daftscotslass kindly gave me a bag of hers to try, and then the search was on to find some for myself!

This is the website I used to locate stockists:

(broken link removed)

Unfortunately the closest is a good 2 hour drive away! However, was near enough the Dalkeith shop over the holidays, and managed to squeeze a sack into my already packed Micra for the journey home! (it cost £5.35)

Back home, was in town, when passed horsey shop I hadn't been in before. Enquired within, and the kind shopkeeper ordered me two bags for £5.20 each! No hassles - no questions, can order me regularly as required (at what point shall I let on 'tis for my guinea pigs, not stables?!) Hoorah!

I have just completed a new hay/kitchen area, filled with megazorb - will let you know how it does (though I can't help feeling that with it being made for horses with their vast quantities of liquid excretion, it can only fair well with my four piggies pee-pees!)

It is far more absorbant than Carefresh I've found. I would change my piggies' litter tray once every couple of days and found that after that, the newspaper under a 3-4cm layer of carefresh was always wet. On changing to megazorb there isn't even a hint of dampness until about halfway through the layer of megazorb. There is also no hint of damp on the top, either, which is great.

JulianSteve

Cavy Slave
We had to stop using Megazorb. Found it very dusty and made the piggies and us sneeze. In fact a couple of the girls had very runny eyes that cleared when we changed it.I'd be interested to hear how other people get on.

muffin

Cavy Slave
That's interesting because I loved it but had to stop using it because it was so dusty. My pigs had no symptoms, but I only used it for about five weeks. I would pour it out of the bag into their kitchen area and a puff of dust would come up which made me cough a bit. too risky for me. Maybe it just depends on the bag and some are dustier than others? I also found that moisture went down through carefresh and onto the newspaper.

Overall since my piggies do most of their peeing in their kitchen area I just use newspaper and hay now. The megazorb was good but I worry a bit about whether they can smell pee even if it's not damp underfoot. Wish my piggies could advise me :eek:ptimist: I didn't notice odour in the magazorb since I changed it every 3-4 days and it's a big area.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I will keep a close eye on things - excuse the pun - I didn't notice too much dust, but have a pig who has suffered eye problem in her past. The thing I can't help noticing, is the smell! It's not altogether unpleasant - but it is unique. I have opened the sack of megazorb completely, in the hope of dispersing the aroma somewhat. I'd better not trip over it - can you imagine the mess?!

Not having used bedding like this for around two years, I do have a bizarre urge to find a rake, and make uniform Japanese-esque patterns in the Megazorb! Some call me mad...

muffin

Cavy Slave
I'd have to agree, it has an unusual smell. My pigs loved flicking it out of the sides of the cage when I was trying to scoop them up. It goes everywhere. Weirdly although megazorb smells vaguely of farm the manufacturer told me it's made of citrus pulp!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
The megazorb website says it is made from some by-product of the wood/paper making industry!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) There was more info somewhere - but I can't find it. Weird! It doesn't smell of either!

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
I've ueed Megazorb for 9 months and the pigs haven't had any eye problems or any respiratory problems. I don't really notice the dust (but I think my brain tends to block our any dust!) and we've just got used to the smell so we don't notice that either.
I do have the same compulsion to rake Japanese patterns in it (it's much better than Carefresh for that as the particle size is smaller) so it's good to know that I'm not completely insane!

The main problem I find is trying to catch the pigs while wearing a fleece jumper - I end up completely covered in Megazorb. And the fleece that have to play with gets covered but a good old fashioned shake/beating against the side of the house cures that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.